• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Knives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Andrsn, nice knife

Andrsn, that looks like a real cool knife. Where did you buy it and how much? I am in need of a new knife and I think that would work nicely. Man I haven't seen a live fish in 7 months other than the yellow tang in my reef tank, if I don't get to go out this weekend Mr. Tang better hide because I'll be looking for it with speargun in hand.

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Click this

All you'll need to do is buy a strap for it.

Good luck,
Anderson

silicon and elastic

I just read about how destructive silicon is on rubbers. Appearantly it makes them swell and absorb or be penetrated by oxygene much more easily!!! I but it would make your shaft move with less resistance especially if you have a railgun

Nice knife by the way.

Andrsn, thanks a lot for the link. How has the knife stood up to rust if you have used it yet? Does it keep a good edge or is it like most dive knives in it that they are a pain to sharpen?
Thank a lot

Jimmy

Jimmy,

I haven't used it yet. It's more for piercing than slicing. Kinda like an icepick. I like this better because it's longer than an icepick and doesn't have the bulky, knob-like handle (so it lays flat). It's stainless, but like any dive knife, you'll have to rinse it well, dry it off and give it a quick spray of silicone to keep it up.

I'm using this along w/ my sporasub. It's mainly just for dispatching fish. :blackeye

Later,
A

Originally posted by andrsn
I like this better because it's longer and doesn't have the bulky, knob

all righty then :hmm

Hey! That's my missing knife from my steak set, ya bum!

sven

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Andrsn. I kinda figured that you hadn't used the knife yet but I thought I might as well ask. I take meticulous care of all my dive gear but I have actually had dive knives start to rust on me while still diving. I could put a shaving edge on almost any knife so I don't think it would be too much of problem but I would like the knife to do more than just puncture fish skulls, just in case I become tangled in the miles and miles of mono that are laying around the Florida reefs.
Jimmy

Re: silicon and elastic

Originally posted by gitano
I just read about how destructive silicon is on rubbers. Appearantly it makes them swell and absorb or be penetrated by oxygene much more easily!!! I but it would make your shaft move with less resistance especially if you have a railgun

Gitano, Is that true for the speargun rubbers? rob allen spray silicone on the rubbers to keep them "fresh". i figure that they would know about something like that. Maybe Rob will be able to fill us in on this one.

Also, the spear would probably be riding on a thin film of water between spear and rail. the better lubricant in this case would be the fluid with the lower viscosity, because the drag is caused by the viscosity of the fluid layer. that leads to the question - which is more viscous?

cheers

Mark

Loopy, as a South African, i'm not yet ready to visit an Auzzi website, but if they loose this weekend, i'll be there in a flash. :D

Griff: Avoid the temptation to replace the full stops (or dot balls) in the adress with 1's (or singles)...
:D :D ;)

you cut me deep shadow, you cut me real deep

i'm considering changing my topic to developing a technology that allows that the cricketers to keep track of the duckworth lewis.... i was thinking of a piece of paper...possibly waterproof...but its early days. i'm hoping to submit before world cup 2007.

Reactions: Shadowkiller
So youre basically relying on Cricketers being literate??:naughty :D

Also, anyone think that coating the section of rail closest to the trigger mech with silicone grease might prevent the wear in that section? My 130 has major weaing due to the shaft slamming down onto it when fired..:(

Reactions: Griff
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that'd work... silicon spray stops rust, not wear. Coat it with ceramic :D

There are food grade silicone sprays that are used to clean masks and lube things like gun rails and spearshafts. I wouldn't use something toxic on the knife used to kill your fish that will be dinner. After each dive, I wipe my knife dry, then apply a thin coat of vegetable oil. It dries and leaves a protective coating on it, especially in holes or small places where rust likes to start. Usually last for a few dives, keeps my knives rust free. By the way, many local divers use the Hattori knives. Comes with a hard plastic sheath with a self locking clip, good for one hand removal and installation. Sells locally for about $45.

Hi guys,

Sorry for the the delay in answering.

Silicon is fine on the gun rubbers, it will protect them. Petroleum products such as Q20 or the WD40 are bad for them.

Don't spray silicon on your mask as this will transfer onto your mask lens. This will happen when you handle the skirt and then spit and wipe the lens. You remember how that new mask foged up? The reason is the silicon release agent in the skirt moulding. This transfers very easy onto the lens.

Rob.

Hey guys, I'm planning on getting into spearfishing soon, maybe as soon as this summer. This thread debates using knives and icepicks, but here's my question: how many knives do you usually carry? I've heard of people carrying two of different sizes, or one on the leg and one on the arm. I'd like to know what setup you use and why. I have a UK Blue Tang. Is there anything else you'd suggest?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT