• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Knives

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Check this baby out ;)

This is a new knife by Australian company Pelaj I am lucky enough to get some free gear of them this is a pic of the knife... havent used it yet but it looks like a ripper and feels good.

I found the steel in the Tiagre was too soft.. the point busted on the first decent fish, the knife never stayed sharp and it rusted...

The tiagre is a SS knife with 3 coats of titanium and a handle long enough to fit in my hand well.

Will be good to see how it go's either way it is a nice looking knife... a little on the $$ side though!

Rob

Attachments

• Pelaj Dagger.jpg
    Pelaj Dagger.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 168
I got one of those from Florida Freedivers last June. It had a Rob Allen logo on it though. I like it a lot!
Mark

Are the Omer knives any good? Those all-metal knives are kind of scary-looking.

The Sporasub Snake Dagger, no question.
The Snake doesn't rust because it's the only knife on the market that has a sacrifitional anode zinc on the butt (that half-ball stuff), like those seen in ships and boats screws, props and rudders. This allows to use a harder steel for the blade than other saltware stainless and for that reason it holds its edge longer than any other knife.
sporasubsnake.jpg

Bat-Ray,
I have the older OMER Hunter knives on two of my weight belts and like them a lot for belt use. They've picked up just a little bit of rust at the hilt mainly because I didn't spray them down with silicone frequently enough. They are very good knives. I also have a Titanium Thunder Still that is probably the most comfortable knife in the hand I've used. The newer Omer Hunter knives look nice too, and I'm sure all the OMER knives are quality products you would be happy with. I haven't bought anything form OMER I can complain about. It's good stuff.
Mark Jacobs

Last edited:
mjacobs said:
Bat-Ray,
I have the older OMER Hunter knives ...The newer Omer Hunter knives look nice too, and I'm sure all the OMER knives are quality products you would be happy with. I haven't bought anything form OMER I can complain about. It's good stuff.
Mark Jacobs

Check out this thread for feedback on the new OMER Daga spearo dive knife - quality of knife & design of sheath seem to be issues:

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=563131#post563131"]Anybody try the Daga Knives?[/ame]

Like some of you, I stay with old faithful tried and true simple knives. Of all our Omer knives I still use one of their oldest and least expensive models still available called the Mini-Still. It's got a 420SS blade and is small, about the size of the new Hunter but with a much thicker blade, and the quality of the steel and the feel of the handle is very good. This knife producer was later picked up by another manufacturer whose name I won't mention for their new models, the handles and the sheath are surprisingly similar as you can notice:hmm

I carry two, one in my dive bag as back up and one on my dive belt and when they get dirty from spotting from not drying and cleaning them every few months of heavy use, I soak the blades in WD 40, scrub it with a steel brush, and resharpen the blades on a grinder. 420SS is tough stainless steel that keeps its edge longer with a high carbon content compared to 300 grade SS's so it allows you to do that without weakening or breaking the blade.

If there's one thing I like in a good knife it's the stronger 400+ grade steel blade, 300 grade stainless knives that most dive knifes are made of are fine but you have to resharpen them too often.

Mark
ps- the old hunter Mark Jacobs mentioned was made of 420SS too

neer said:
...The Meruna is nice, but the sheath is not too
great since the knife is held in with a rubber loop over
the handle. However, for $20 it's prtetty darned good.

www.piratescuba.com
From my experience of "quick release" sheaths -- I look on the simple rubber loop as a superior retention mechanism; the mark of a higher quality knife/sheath package.:D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT