• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

latest catch from QATAR

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
dive with whatever feels comfortable. that's the biggest "must". past that it's all preference. I prefer a 2-lense lower volume mask because It seems to give me a little edge when spearing deeper (20-30m).

baracuda said:
daaaaam dude thats alot of masks..... but have you tryed a frameless mask ??
iv heard there very comfertble and fit well plus the advantage of having no frame means the glass is closer to ur eyes so you have a better field of view ... unfortunatly i dont have any thats why i ordered one but when it arrives ill letcha try it b4 u get ur wallet out ;)

Amphibious i was going to get the omer alien but then i heard about the atomic so i thought id try it out .... this is another nice looking mask

http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/msk/05-2900

You know this shop near Almannai roundabout DOLPHIN, last week I saw frameless masks there ... for 170QR I think, but I was in hurry so I didn't try one.
will go there tomorrow to try one of them before they are sold out!!

i loved the idea of the mirrored lenses but then i realised they are like sunglasses they make everything look darker ..and with da vizability we have here :head :head

did u find that when u used them ????

The mirrored lenses should probably be limited to very clear water. never saw to many places in the gulf where I think they would be much of an advantage.

baracuda said:
i loved the idea of the mirrored lenses but then i realised they are like sunglasses they make everything look darker ..and with da vizability we have here :head :head

did u find that when u used them ????

Not at all ..... in the contrary they make things look sharper and more clear.... those are POLARIZED not tinted, I was afraid of that too!!!
very clear SANDY green water hererofl

will show them to you on Friday try your self ....

sanadw said:
Not at all ..... in the contrary they make things look sharper and more clear.... those are POLARIZED not tinted, I was afraid of that too!!!
very clear SANDY green water hererofl

will show them to you on Friday try your self ....

cool ...... and ill bring ALL my masks so u can see if any fit u :p
"its gonna rain this weekend":inlove i wonder if its time to break out my 5mm surfing wetsuit :martial

yo sanad have u ever caught one of these ??? " one of the best fish u will ever taste" and very rare

sanaifi.JPG

Baracuda, what's the arabic name for that? looks almost like a rabbit fish ? don;t think I've ever seen one like that?

Amphibious said:
Baracuda, what's the arabic name for that? looks almost like a rabbit fish ? don;t think I've ever seen one like that?

ur right its a rabbit fish but a diffrent type than the usual rabbit fish this one grows alot bigger we call it SAFI SANAIFI ...... if u caught 5 of them they would sell for 1000 riyals :friday thats the price of a new gun and mask :D

very nice :D used to get a lot of smaller safi at night with a pole spear and a flashlight, in 1m deep water. very yummy on the grill

I have tinted Omer Abyss.. i think theyre good when the visibility is good... but if vis is bad then they tend to darken things up a bit.. so went back to my old trusted mask H.Dassult.. which is the same as cressi superochio or old mares target or sporasub samurai... same mask different manufacturer name... i think its the BEST mask ever.. been using it for over 7 years and dont think anything will beat it. I also have a krap load of masks.. i like some but just cant give this up.

Oh yah make me eat my heart now:waterwork I know it as Safi Doha didn't even see it in the water before, and sure never taste it before... very expensive :waterwork

Don't ever tell any one where did you spear it .... the second day you will find all the indians in doha there .... with there death boats carrying 1000000 (Gargur) and those 3 layers nets (israele nets) all around to catch them.:naughty
I rip apart 5 of these nets last year in (Fasht Al 7daed).

next time your going in the boat ... you will find me sleeping next to it:D

Nice gun the background too Imersion Concept Triaxx it, I was thinking of it instead of the OMER ......is it good?? they say its much easier to maneuver?????? how do you like it .... is it good??

man its great to find someone here in Doha addicted to fishing like me!!!:friday... burning my visa on these things ....... I even do kite fishing:duh

here is my best two records from earlier years here in Doha

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]57 kg King and a 40 something kg Cobia (sekan)[/SIZE][/FONT]
will tell you about the secret place later :t

Attachments

• ME3.JPG
    ME3.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 159
  • me & Cobia1.jpg
    me & Cobia1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 152
Amphibious said:
very nice :D used to get a lot of smaller safi at night with a pole spear and a flashlight, in 1m deep water. very yummy on the grill

lool Safi at night flip oh his side when its hit with a strong light .... I even managed to catch them by hand ... ... try it .... its really funrofl

Are you in Canada now???!! why you left Doha?? your missing a lot :inlove .

I still return to Saudi from time to time for work, (grew up in Ras Tanura, KAS) never been to Doha, but speared near the border (al guraya) often. I try not to grab Safi by hand as I dislike the burning sensation the spines give off :p

I am currently in canada, will return to middle east as soon as I can find another job there :D know anyone looking for a low-hour commercial heli pilot? :D

Amp, try with Qatargas, i hear tey are recruiting. also, qatar has a helicopter tour thing that is closely related to their oil industry. also try the UAE.

Safis, yeah, easy, like really easy to get at nite. at nite u can usually find them by the rocks. just shine the light on them and u can use those cheap polespears with three prongs they sell everywhere in the GCC for like 30 riyals. the biggest one iv caught was twice the size of my hand, but they rarelly get bigger than one palm or so..

Sandaw, you might find them by the rocks along the Corniche in Doha, but i remember getting a hard time from the cops because i didnt see the no fishing AND no swimming sign, so i broke two laws at once :p (no my personal record but i try :p )
you might also want to try by near the Messeid area near the powerplant.

Amphibious said:

This Safi my self and baracuda and one other guy catch it with the same way you were talking about

was soo yummmy:inlove baracuda can tell you about it

3679013ff6.jpg

DSC02782.JPG

sanad,
one of my friends also has a problem finding a mask that fits, he tried the cressi penta, worked like a charm, again i dont recomment the very low volume masks for searfishing, unless you do aspettos at 50 meters :), i use a frameless mask, sherwood mako, its the best ive tried, wide field of vision and low volume....give it a shot, they sell it at leisurepro..

sanadw said:
Oh yah make me eat my heart now:waterwork I know it as Safi Doha didn't even see it in the water before, and sure never taste it before... very expensive :waterwork

Don't ever tell any one where did you spear it .... the second day you will find all the indians in doha there .... with there death boats carrying 1000000 (Gargur) and those 3 layers nets (israele nets) all around to catch them.:naughty
I rip apart 5 of these nets last year in (Fasht Al 7daed).

next time your going in the boat ... you will find me sleeping next to it:D

Nice gun the background too Imersion Concept Triaxx it, I was thinking of it instead of the OMER ......is it good?? they say its much easier to maneuver?????? how do you like it .... is it good??

man its great to find someone here in Doha addicted to fishing like me!!!:friday... burning my visa on these things ....... I even do kite fishing:duh

here is my best two records from earlier years here in Doha

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]57 kg King and a 40 something kg Cobia (sekan)[/SIZE][/FONT]
will tell you about the secret place later :t

NIIIIIIIIIICE fish dude ..

that cobia must have brought you waterskiing :D

and that kingfish must have made your spear into a banana ..... :D

the triaax in the picture is actually a frends but iv tryed it ..its fantastic for tracking left and right .... i caught the striped rabbitfish in only 10m of water in a very cool place the bottom is hard coral so the viz is usually really good there and its the only place iv seen a lion fish and the eloosive BLACK travelly

Qatar_hunter said:
This Safi my self and baracuda and one other guy catch it with the same way you were talking about

was soo yummmy:inlove baracuda can tell you about it

Nice catch Qatar Hunter .... Very good QUANTITY and SIZE...
I never catch that much before, Used to ctach them aroud (Fasht Al Hudaed) but most of the time I end up catching allot of (Fasker) more than (Safi) !!!

* I don't know if any of you ever find Safi some times near belly tastes unpleasant and very bitter!!!:confused: ever happened with you??

Marwan said:
sanad,
one of my friends also has a problem finding a mask that fits, he tried the cressi penta, worked like a charm, again i dont recomment the very low volume masks for searfishing, unless you do aspettos at 50 meters :), i use a frameless mask, sherwood mako, its the best ive tried, wide field of vision and low volume....give it a shot, they sell it at leisurepro..

Nice mask Marwan ... It looks almost the same of the one that Baracuda talked about earlyer .... have a look ... man the lens is stunning!!!!
I think I will wait BRACUDA's mask to arrive and See. have a look at the frameless one:

http://www.atomicaquatics.com/vision.html

But for sure I will end up with a frameless one ... much lighter and maybe better fit for my shapeless face!!!:head

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT