• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

less air, longer hold???? can this be right

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
okamota heatrate and metabolism do play a part but you can adjust them. Look up some meditation stuff on youtube (yoga meditation/ chakra meditation/ Pranayama breathing) and these will give you some good ways of lowering your heartrate. As for metabolism...that shouldn't really make too much of a difference, as most athletes have faster metabolisms; however, you want to make sure you don't eat before you do any apnea training....this will kill your times and make it much more uncomfortable for you. I'm not sure if it will delay your contractions but maybe it will ????? worth giving it a shot. Let me know what you find by way of results.

i did find not to eat a full meal that 1 really hurt but the cramps were worst on an empty stomach wat has worked best is like 1 or 2 gronola bars 2 have something in but not so empty or full it really hurts when contractions start

these are statics right?

have you tried the static apnea tables? I recommend Table B, start around 30 seconds and work your way up to a minute or more, you can customize the times to suit your needs.
LINK> Static Apnea Tables by Freediver.co.uk and Freedivers.net :: Graphics by Mozzi
the voice prompt is really nice too.

the idea is to increase your time by 15 seconds each hold to just beyond your normal hold time by the 8th hold. wait 30-60 mins and repeat once or twice. Later you can work in dynamic exercise prior to the static practice to condition yourself under an increased heart rate. but that is something different than just surpassing a static PB of 2:30.

it is hard at first, but if you use your break time wiseley during the static apnea table program, e.g. focus on slow deep breathing, and concentrate on staying calm, and watching your time limit till hold you may easily surpass your current PB with a little practice.

I wouldnt push your self to black out too much either, try to avoid samba (fuzzy stars in your vision, and light headedness), and avoid blackout.

if you avoid blackout, you will be training your body to cope with higher levels of CO2 a little at a time, and your mind will relearn new limits.

if you push to black out is is sort of like resetting your Oxygen urgency clock to 0, at least that is what it feels like.

as for food, a medium snack, or a light meal, not to full, but personally, I go spearfishing on almost empty, maby one P-nut butter and honey sandwich in the morning, then spearfishing for 5 hours!! and only water during the day. usually after the first 1.5 hours my stomach settels and diving gets good, and my apnea times get better.

for statics try to eat a large dinner the day before, say Pasta and high carbs, then only water in the morning, avoid coffee and caffeinated beverages ect, and go for PB in the late mornings, after your stomach has processed all the food, but make sure to feed yourself well afterwards. Most importantly stay hydrated, and focus on complete exhalation to reduce your residual volume, and increase your vital capacity directly. If you use a lung expander you will see almost immediately, that you are most likely breathing with your chest, and not your diaphram, a lung expander will work the diaphram and with repeditive use you will be breathing correctly and deeply enough to surpass your PB.

good luck, and be safe.
TBGSUB.

Reactions: bgill
wow ok il give that a try once my ankle heals i broke it last week and as for the food thing my cabin is on the lake and i can swim back acros in bout 15 min so food and water are never a prob.

lol 4 min is my goal for this season...and I'll be 24 when I get there. By the way I hope that my sarcasm in that previous post breached the language barrier and you understood that I was joking. :friday

of courese i did understand ^^ anyting else whould had been really stupid

these are statics right?

have you tried the static apnea tables? I recommend Table B, start ...
I'll refer to "Table B" as O2-Table to be more explicit (who introduced this A/B BS anyway?)
An O2 table in this case doesn't train what seems to be the problem: low CO2 tolerance. Early contractions come from a low tolerance to CO2, as this is what mainly triggers the breathing reflex. So You want to train the CO2 tolerance with CO2 tables (where resting times are reduced, but breathholds stay the same throughout the table).

... to condition yourself under an increased heart rate....
Why would You want to do that? Rather learn how to relax and keep Your heart rate down than condition Yourself to high hear rates, which is what You would be doing.

...for statics try to eat a large dinner the day before, say Pasta and high carbs,...
That will only restock the glycogen stores in the muscles that You'd need in performances that require anaerobic use of muscles, for static these won't help, as You'll try to relax as much as possible. But they probably won't hurt either, so dig in. :)

... lung expander you will see almost immediately, that you are most likely breathing with your chest, and not your diaphram, a lung expander will work the diaphram and with repeditive use you will be breathing correctly and deeply enough to surpass your PB....
I recommend spending the money for a course on breathing techniques. You don't need any device apart from Your body (and Your brain) to learn how to breathe properly and make good use of Your diaphragm. But be aware that this may well be a long process - and well worth every hour spent working on it. :) - When learning how to breathe, You will also learn the effects of Your breathing on the body and be able to relax better, thus increase Your performance and, what's more, improve the experience as such. :)

Yeah, no kidding. I think learning how to control your breathing and heart rate is the single most effective thing you can do, at least early on. Breathing correctly has a huge effect. It's the difference between say a painful 1 minute hold, and a 2 minute easy hold.

Why does it have such effect?
Im just curios
And what is breathing properly? how do you breath then slow deep breaths?

Last edited:
Use search function to access information DB, loads has been written on the subject so it is difficult to put into a few sentences. Try and get on a course if you can, I did one 2 years ago through DB at the SETT facility and believe me I learnt plenty in 2 days, worth every penny!

ok let me rephrase it, is this correct breathing?

Inhale to a comfortable amount
hold 3-5 seconds
breath out for 15 seconds

repeat 3-4 times breathing in deeper on each inhale then dive ;)

that is the only breath up routine i use, though i have done it for prolongled periods of 5 minutes on occasion

trust me i want to do a course and might be but with all my other sports and 29,000 pounds for university it might not be affordable ;)

I am no expert which is why the search function is good. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can post here.

Well a course can get you most of the way towards breathing for your biologic capacity,
your personal experimentation, (depending on how careful you are not to exceed your limits too soon) may eventually yield the perfect breathup technique for you.
correct breathing essentially is deep inhale, hold few seconds, exhale two to three times longer than the inhale, and repeat 3-4 times which is technically considered mild hyperventillation. Anything over this repetition is generally considered going into a higher state of Hyperventillation, and is considered risky with regard to SWB; especially if you hold over 2 mins below 20M depth because it tricks you into thinking you have more time.

keep in mind that a deeper exhalation reduces your unused residual volume, and actually brings in more useable air, thus improving your capacity to utilize more oxygen, and potentially hold for longer with the right technique and heart rate.

I would say that proper breathing allows maximum nonhyperventillating ventillation, while maintaining the closest to resting heart rate as possible.

anything else is extra training for fine tuning deeper and longer dives.

so ultimately the definition of proper breathing will come down to what you intend to do with your own body.

If you are competitive, proper breathing is much more important.

as for spearo apneists, there are thousands of breathup techniques undocumented, and none of them are verified by any secondary training regimen, and they are all traded like recipes for better diving loosely, so I would trust any formal freedive clinic, or course that is endorsed by any national organization, or you could just read lots of freediving literature, which should get you closer to correct breathing without a course. I recommend Freedive at the following link: Freedive.net & Terry Maas: book or video on apnea freediving, snorkeling, spearfishing
or better yet, buy the book!

WELSHMIKEY: yor breathup looks pretty good! you might try it with deeper exhalations, to as close to vacancy as you feel possible. (dont let any of your mates slug you in the chest while completely exhaled, it could collapse a lung.)

be careful and dive safe.

best of luck.

TBGSUB.

Last edited:
Now that is something I actually am very familiar with. As a general rule, any stretching will improve overall cardio performance and help warm up your muscles. As with any sport, focus especially on the muscles that will be worked. If you are just doing static, focus on the muscles around your core (torso, back), to loosen up the area around your lungs. Other than that, just practice the breathing tables to give your actual lung muscles a woorkout. Oh, and careful not to overextend your back. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT