• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mad Cup 2010

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Congrats for a really good organised competition!!! I was really sad for not beeing able to compete :(
Although it seemed like a nice,relaxed competiton. In my opinion Mad Cup became the best competiton in these parts of Europe. :wave
Regards
L.

[FONT=&quot]Here you can see some more videos: Freediving apnea competition Maribor Apnea Days MAD CUP 2010 | MAD10 - video [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is very interesting to see difference between professional swimmers and freedivers. On these videos you can see on one side 2 professional swimmers Dajana and Samo and on the other side 2 very good feedivers Colak and Zanki. All use the same techniques 3 strokes for 25m but professional swimmers swim 4 seconds or 5 meters faster than freedivers (this is 20 %). And you have to know that Dajana and Samo had medical problems so this is not all they can do. Zanki is chapter for himself. Bed technique but very relaxed. Who knows what is he capable of if he would work on his swimming technique. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Somebody forgot his freediving suit in Maribor. If you know who forgot it let me know. [/FONT]

Great swim from Dajana and interesting technique, though she is using quite a few strokes to get that speed. 3.5 - 4 strokes per length at the start, rising to 5.5 - 6 towards the end. I know it's not a fair comparison as our body masses are very different, but to give some impression of the difference in dive strategy I'm doing 2.5 strokes per length which rises to 3 over the last couple as my arms fade. So she has close to double my stroke count for a given distance.

I might head down to the pool and see how I get on with that style of recovery and arms-open streamline :) Having hands locked together doesn't help with the start of the arm stroke, that's for sure.

ps bit of a mean choice of music guys. "it's in your face but you can't grab it..."

Last edited:
I might head down to the pool and see how I get on with that style of recovery and arms-open streamline :) Having hands locked together doesn't help with the start of the arm stroke, that's for sure.

Hehe, I was wondering when someone will notice that, stole it and improve :) And who was it... Dave.. dude like you need something new to push your dives even longer.. give us a fighting chance ;)
She is a breaststroke swimmer so it's natural for her not to lock hands, I was experimenting with that to, and for me its fine and great on non packing dives and shorter dives.. but on full packing and max distance diving.. I still like to lock hands...

About the rising number of strokes per 25m at the end.. that's because she know that the dive was missed and that she will be in problems at 161m, so instinctively she started to do that mistake... On a regular dive, she's at 2,5 - 3,5 strokes per 25m, no speeding at the end of a dive... And Dave you are twice the size of her :)

And at the end, yes someone notice above, no packing... just 1-2 small packs before start of the dive ;)

Last edited:
I`ve always put my hands together, but that`s probably because I`ve had no swimmingintsruction. Doing that many strokes sounds ineffective. I`m only 1,76m and have a medium good technique at best and I`m doing 2,5 strokes at 28-30 seconds.

Number of strokes does not say much I think. It is plain that she could glide much further but obviously at present it suits her to trade gliding for speed as she is quite fast. Good luck to her it was an amazing and inspiring performace. Miha

She is by far the biggest talent I`ve seen sofar. Some minor adjustments and she`ll be far ahead of her opponents. Althoug Natalia M. looks very "cool" after her dives, she`ll have problems with this girl.
Off course there is a limit as to how much gliding one should do, but keeping a higher speed steals O2. It`s alot of resistance. But then again you have crazy guys like Guy Brew who can swim for 5 min. And that`s just not possible for others.
It will be great fun to follow this new talent. I hope all the people around her help her with all the pressure. I hope all this talk doesn`t make the pressure to high.

Number of strokes does not say much I think

Well, it says that she's choosing to swim very fast. Though as Goran said, this is probably nerves rather than her normal dive strategy.

Last edited:
Great videos and very nice dives! Thanks for sharing!

Great to some new talent coming out of the blue!

I agree with Goran, let him have a fair chance too! LOL

I'm informed that Dajana has confirmed DNF for the Swiss Championships.

Goran ~ is this what you are talking about at the beginning of my thread?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT