• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mares Cyrano Evo HF problems

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
....Pls explain a bit better the problem.....does the piston get hooked up? can you pull the trigger and the gun doesn't fire? the trigget got stuck?

....Pls explain a bit better the problem.....does the piston get hooked up? can you pull the trigger and the gun doesn't fire? the trigget got stuck?
Hi, when i load the shaft it gets hooked up. However when it comes to pulling the trigger it does not fire. I tried to rotate the screw that is present under the trigger guard, but when I rotate it to one end there is no trigger movement (as if on safety), while if I rotate it to the other end there is trigger movement, but the gun still doesn't fire.....

...did you totally dismantle it when you cleaned it up? did you remove the rear loading valve?

It sounds like either the inner barrel has rotated or the trigger pin is bent/damaged (or possibly both)

You need to depressurize the gun and remove the trigger assembly for further investigation. When you have removed the trigger pin housing shine a torch down and see if you can see the sear and if it is lining up straight. I have had this issue in the past with the normal cyranos.

Thanks you both for your contribution. When I cleaned it up, I did not dismantle the gun - I have never experimented with that yet, nor do I have instructions for how to do that. I had just limited myself to depressurizing the gun, and spraying lubricant in the hard to reach places.

Not sure how to remove the trigger assembly. Very grateful for your further help in this respect, if you may, please.

I cant give specific advise as i have never used a cyrano hf, but the operating principles are all very similar.

This video from salvimar shows you how:

It might look different the the cyrano but i think you will find it has very similar parts.

Watch from 7:20 and you can see someone dismantling the trigger from a normal cyrano (but not in english).

Assuming that the Mares schematic for their “Cyrano Evo” is reasonably accurate I decided to check out the swing of the trigger and the line release lever and sear lever activation sequence. You can see from the diagram that on paper at least the line release lever will be freed well before the sear lever is tipped over to the point where the sear tooth clears the bottom edge of the piston’s mushroom head tail. So there should be no problem with synchronization whereby the gun is shooting before the line release is able to swing in order to let go of the line wraps on the gun. However it would appear that the mushroom head tail can push past the sear tooth before the tooth is completely clear of the tail’s periphery and that situation will depend on the changing contact angle between the tooth face and the adjacent flange of the tail as the sear lever progressively tilts forwards and downwards at the front end.
Mares Cyrano Evo trigger operation R.gif

I
Hi all from Libya. Well about 3 months ago I bought a Mares Cyrano EVO HF 90 and was working like a dream. I had to go abroad for a few weeks and cleaned the gun really well and sprayed WD40 over the all important parts. I also left it fully pressurized, but unloaded. After I returned (3 weeks or so), I went for a dive, loaded the shaft and missed two good shots because the gun wouldn't fire. I figured there might be some kind of dirt, and eventually depressurised the gun completely, blew pressurised air into the trigger area just in case there was some dirt, and gave it a few shots of WD40, and pressurized it again. I didn't try it out as I was on land. Yesterday I went diving again and the gun would not shoot. I took a screwdriver with me and turned the sensitivity screw in various positions, but the gun, although pressurized and loaded, will not fire even when the screw is set to the position which allows the most trigger travel. I am stumped - what could it be - I don't trust any workshop here in Libya to do any repairs - and prefer to do it myself. Any ideas guys?

Thanks.
I own cyrano Evo HF 100. Use couple times but now the trigger get stuck its look like safety never release...even the locking in normal position the gun still can't fire...anyone can help me to resolved this problems? Sorry I'm new in this forum.

Anyone can advise me the size of transmission pin or where to buy....website address?

Probably a bit late now, but some of the answers can be found here:
file:///C:/Users/admin/Downloads/Mares_catalogue_2016.pdf
For example the transmisson pin is 1.5 mm diameter, see page 141 in the catalogue.
I have been looking for some good photos of a "Cyrano Evo" opened up as distinct from a video, as I need to gauge the positions of certain parts without having them moving around in front of a video camera, which tends to be distracting.

Reactions: Stef87
I finally had a chance to slow-mo through the Mares "Cyrano Evo" video and check out why the gun had some problems. The tilt on the sear lever commented on above is due to the mushroom head on the piston tail having a fatter shank diameter than before which means when hooked on the sear tooth the lever has to sit at an angle and not be horizontal. That is because the top of the tooth is already hard up against the shank and the lever cannot level out. To further exacerbate matters the mushroom head has a rounded periphery said to aid a smoother release action, but what it does do is with the sear tooth face already slightly angled the piston tail can escape without you pulling the trigger!

How to fix this problem? Well Mares should have used a new sear lever with a lower tooth height so that when the top of the tooth hit the mushroom head's tail shank the sear lever was level, or horizontal, and then there would be no angled vector component as the opposing vertical faces, i.e. mushroom head flange and sear tooth face, were strictly perpendicular to the axis of the inner barrel. But they did not do that and that is why the gun can fire prematurely thereby "taking out" the line release lever by busting it. And to think that this gun got by the people who sign off new designs without anyone saying "we might have problems with a hooking mechanism that is not truly perpendicular to the direction of thrust"!
Mares cyano evo detail.jpg

Last edited:
In fact the sear lever cannot work reliably at a greater tilt, or inclination, as the piston will be driven backwards with the sear tooth being depressed by pulling the trigger. Any slight angling of the sear tooth face created by machining it away from the vertical will tend to minimize this rearward pushing, but will then destabilize the sear lever's ability to hold the piston. The attached diagram shows this effect. A fix would be to use the piston from the original "Cyrano", or use its shank on the "Cyrano Evo" piston. Why the new piston has a thicker shank I don't know, but a reduced diameter shank (and mushroom head) on the piston tail would fix the "Cyrano Evo" gun.
effect of sear lever inclination.jpg

Last edited:
This "leveled up" sear lever and reduced shank diameter for the piston is displayed on a proposed re-engineering of the "Evo" frame, or hull form, for a "Mirage" reboot, albeit one with improved internal breathing or airflow over its somewhat "strangled" predecessor.
Mares Mirage Evo.jpg

Last edited:
This is the "Cyrano 1.3" piston used in the metal trigger guns with the blue handle. You can see Mares have squared up the metal piston tail as there is no bevel on the leading edge of the mushroom head.
Cyrano 1.3 piston.jpg

A comparison of the rear grips is shown here.
Cyrano Evo and Cyrano rear grips.jpg

It appears that a bump inside the trigger finger guard has disappeared that used to sit directly under the plastic fore-aft adjustable two-piece trigger and if that has been changed then this will be a new molding used in the later gun.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT