• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mares Viper mask anyone?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I wonder if it is the old stock or the new one like photographed at Dema that looks different around the glass edges glue thing.

Attachments

• Mares1.jpg
    Mares1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 271
I also saw it at DEMA Orlando,2015
I wonder if it is the old stock or the new one like photographed at Dema that looks different around the glass edges glue thing.
, I put it on, it does feel very good for my face, everybody is diferent, butI like it.

I think this is the new one. I just got it and it looks exactly the same as the one in your picture. I compared it with the one in Vyslobokoff's review and I see some slight design tweaks.

It is very comfortable and fits me well (on land), I have not tried it in the water yet. I left a 4mm beard so it will be interesting to see if it fares better than my Omer Alien in this regard. I will write up a review on my blog once I have tested it.

I think this is the new one. I just got it and it looks exactly the same as the one in your picture. I compared it with the one in Vyslobokoff's review and I see some slight design tweaks.

It is very comfortable and fits me well (on land), I have not tried it in the water yet. I left a 4mm beard so it will be interesting to see if it fares better than my Omer Alien in this regard. I will write up a review on my blog once I have tested it.

I have used it on two separate dive trips; I find the Viper face seal design to work well for my face shape. It's comfortable and seals properly with little mask strap tension. I can recommend it for free diving. I like it so much that I bought another Viper for my free diving friends to try and as a back up mask.

Just bought it :) Wide face makes mask selection a little tricky (Cressi Nano impossible, Subgear Steel Pro leaked water).

Maybe I'm able to test it later today in 17°C/62°F Baltic Sea ;)

I tested it in the Atlantic ocean a couple of weeks ago (also 17°C) and it didn't fair well with my beard. With my Omer Alien I initially had leaks for the same reason but I started to shave the mustache just under the nose and the 2nd lip on the mask sealed fine with that, but the Viper not having the 2nd lip means it does not seal. I shaved it all off and after that it was excellent, it is a very comfortable mask and seals very well.

So, long story short:

I did test it and the mask works great for me (clean shaven btw ;)). The first mask i tried without any fogging or leaks for about 1/2h in the water. Also the first mask i didn't flood by accident pinching my nose :)

I tested it in the Atlantic ocean a couple of weeks ago (also 17°C) and it didn't fair well with my beard. With my Omer Alien I initially had leaks for the same reason but I started to shave the mustache just under the nose and the 2nd lip on the mask sealed fine with that, but the Viper not having the 2nd lip means it does not seal. I shaved it all off and after that it was excellent, it is a very comfortable mask and seals very well.

All masks I've had have seal issues if I don't at least shave a narrow strip under my nose. I have yet to see a mask that has a double seal under the nose. The second seal usually goes from the 7 to 5 o'clock positions on the mask (going around the long way), but does not continue directly under the nose. How is the Omer Alien different from this? Can you post a picture of the seal to show how it is different? I can only find pictures of the front side of the mask.

All masks I've had have seal issues if I don't at least shave a narrow strip under my nose. I have yet to see a mask that has a double seal under the nose. The second seal usually goes from the 7 to 5 o'clock positions on the mask (going around the long way), but does not continue directly under the nose. How is the Omer Alien different from this? Can you post a picture of the seal to show how it is different? I can only find pictures of the front side of the mask.
You are correct, I had a look and it does not have a seal under the nose, I thought it did but it does not.

I will try to compare both at the lip level to understand why one is better than the other when not shaved. I suspected (wrongly) the Omer had a 2nd lip (I didn't have it with me at the time and did not have a look until now).

It could just be an adjustment issue, at first the Omer also didn't fair well with the facial hair but I must have found the ideal position now. I need to play with the Viper a bit more now that my beard has grown back.

Okay, thanks @Gab .

Since they are both single seal under the nose, I'm speculating the difference in leak potential under the nose is likely connected with a better shape fit for the Omer than the double seal design.

I have a pretty narrow face. For reference, Sphera masks are actually too wide for me, but with the flexible frame, I can tighten it up and make it work. The Mares Viper has a narrow seal which makes it work well for me. I think the mask was made that way partly because of the single seal design. It makes the seal grip the face and keeps it water tight. For me, it makes a good fit. It is flexible enough, that I could see it working well for wider faces as well. Does anyone with a wider face have experience with the Viper to share about the fit and function?

Last edited:
Okay, thanks @Gab .

Does anyone with a wider face have experience with the Viper to share about the fit and function?

Yes, me! The Viper is for me the only mask so far i didn't see any leakage. Fit is really good.

Gesendet von meinem MotoE2(4G-LTE) mit Tapatalk

Yes, me! The Viper is for me the only mask so far i didn't see any leakage. Fit is really good.
Have you used a Sphera mask? If so, is a Sphera mask shaped right for the width of your face, or too narrow? The answer will add context to your comment for anyone who has used a Sphera before (which I suspect may encompass more than half of freedivers).

Have you used a Sphera mask? If so, is a Sphera mask shaped right for the width of your face, or too narrow? The answer will add context to your comment for anyone who has used a Sphera before (which I suspect may encompass more than half of freedivers).
Unfortunately not yet. As i'm looking for a second mask for more casual snorkeling in my upcoming trip to Egypt i could try it. Is the Sphera in general good for wider faces?

The viper mask fits very good on my narrow face. I do have to shave but apart from that it is a very comfortable mask. If they would be able to increase the field of view in the future without enlarging the volume would make it magnificent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Keevy
Is the Sphera in general good for wider faces?

For an asian diver that I know that has a pretty wide and flat face (as many asians tend to have), the Sphera mask is the only mask they have been able to find that is wide enough to provide a proper fit. From that one data point, I'd have to say that it is likely to be a good general mask for people with wide faces. With its flexible frame and lense, it can work okay for someone like me with a narrow face also. The issue is that I need to strap it down tight to make it conform to my narrow shape and it puts extra pressure under my nose. It's not bad, but after 4 hours in the water, I can feel the effects of the additional pressure.

Has anyone with Neanderthal like brow tried the viper mask yet. At the moment only the superocchio seems to prevent squeezing the hell out of my brow.

Has anyone with Neanderthal like brow tried the viper mask yet. At the moment only the superocchio seems to prevent squeezing the hell out of my brow.
I have one :).

The Omer Alien fits me well, I like the Viper but I have not used it enough to be able to really give you a reliable opinion yet. In 3 weeks I should be able to.

So i tested the Sphera Mask yesterday and found it fits at least as good as the viper for me. Thanks for the recommendation :)

I await your verdict for the big browed in three weeks Gab.
So, I was able to use it in a realistic setting, finally, thanks for the wait :) .

I decided to try to shave a bit instead of removing everything (my wife likes my beard and so do I); it went quite well this time, I must have done something wrong last time.

The seal was strong, it heald without issues in a mildly turbulent ocean. My Neanderthal forehead posed no issues at all and it was a very comfortable fit, even more that the Omer Alien. The Alien can start to hurt a bit after a couple of hours, but not always. The Viper did not leak at all, although I forgot the underwater laugh test (the Alien leaks from under my nose if I smile too much or laugh). It also did not fog but I did an extensive anti-fog treatment (flame, toothpaste, dish liquid, dry, repeat once more), then I always store it with toothpast.

I took some pictures this time, here is the inside of the mask:
6f9a5d1d12074ac9acfb6c430f751419.jpg

Here is my mustache trim for reference:
0dade9f9a2288f189c808b74a425c170.jpg

Here is the mask on me, nose seal views:
384f1160daccb15f182adf588124c97c.jpg
6ae745a9a1db8e0be71a8ff3fdc2e329.jpg

Here is a side seal view:
c75d7d333af0e760bbb6fa9ea871a341.jpg

And the forehead seal view:
5e9c39059d4d704ca5f9a7df2b4e0f3a.jpg

I hope that helps, I will write up a better review in my blog when I have time. I think this mask will become my main mask now and the Alien will be a backup. Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Gabriel

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT