• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mares Viper mask anyone?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks Gabriel.
I do exactly that with my mustache and works fine with the Superocchio.
All other masks I have tried have either leaked or given me a painfull time on the brow. The superocchio only works well if it is positioned right and a slight movement brings the water in, so I have become quite adept at clearing while diving, which is not quite what you want to be doing with your oxygen supply.

Would have to give the viper a go.

Reactions: Gab
I have used this mask for quite a while now and I am very pleased with it. However I do have to shave my moustache completely to wear it comfortably. I was doing the same as Gabriel shaving only a small portion but then I had to wear it too high on my face causing it to push on the bridge of my nose. The pressure on the mask while freediving caused minor discomfort after some time. I now shave completely and the mask works perfect with very good comfort.

Forgot to mention that I found that the field of view really improved once I could wear the mask lower on my face where it was intended. I don't see the need for a double seal whatsoever.

Another update. I find that the upper part of the mask displaces a lot of water. This is very noticeable when ascending from a dive and I can clearly feel some downward pressure on the mask because of it. Not really a problem at all but for performance freediving I am considering another more streamlined mask. This one will remain my favorite spearfishing mask for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a year of regular use, the silicone connecting to the strap started to break in many places. Fine, I superglued them and continue using the mask gently from now on. Should they use plastic for connecting mask silicone and the strap, it would last for years like other masks. What a shame. It's a good low volume mask with a design flaw.

After a year of regular use, the silicone connecting to the strap started to break in many places. Fine, I superglued them and continue using the mask gently from now on. Should they use plastic for connecting mask silicone and the strap, it would last for years like other masks. What a shame. It's a good low volume mask with a design flaw.

I hope that will not happen to mine. Have been using it twice a week since July. Have you tried to contact Mares and asked for a replacement? If it is a design issue the warranty should cover it.

Nope, as I said, superglue does the job rather than ping pong emails and wait for weeks on oversea shipment.

Nope, as I said, superglue does the job rather than ping pong emails and wait for weeks on oversea shipment.

Any pictures of the broken part and how you fixed it?

Here you go:

Actually it was about 3 months usage of diving every day. My first was Mares Star. It leaks around the glasses rim from day one. I did not learned the lesson. bought the viper as it was new in store. I should have gone with the subgear steel comp as everybody else. Damn.

Here you go:

Actually it was about 3 months usage of diving every day. My first was Mares Star. It leaks around the glasses rim from day one. I did not learned the lesson. bought the viper as it was new in store. I should have gone with the subgear steel comp as everybody else. Damn.

Maybe they had an old (v1) model? The initial batch had this issue (Mares confirmed it to me) but they said after feedback from people they modified the design some.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kray
Maybe they had an old (v1) model? The initial batch had this issue (Mares confirmed it to me) but they said after feedback from people they modified the design some.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Great. That is what you would expect from such a company. I am not going to worry about it then.

Hearing the positive feedback from the other neanderthals gives me hope. My Micromask is killing my brows.

Hearing the positive feedback from the other neanderthals gives me hope. My Micromask is killing my brows.

Update
Still using the mask often but if you have a pronounced nose bridge it is not the most comfortable. Tried the salvimar noah which is even worse but luckily is very comfortable for my wife. Just ordered the new sigalsub sauron which, according to this review http://www.nadirspearfishing.com/en...-reviews/527-sigalsub-fish-caller-sauron-mask )supposedly should be more comfortable for people like me. We will see next week once I have tried it out.

Sent from the abyss

Update
Still using the mask often but if you have a pronounced nose bridge it is not the most comfortable. Tried the salvimar noah which is even worse but luckily is very comfortable for my wife. Just ordered the new sigalsub sauron which, according to this review http://www.nadirspearfishing.com/en...-reviews/527-sigalsub-fish-caller-sauron-mask )supposedly should be more comfortable for people like me. We will see next week once I have tried it out.

Sent from the abyss

I don't have a pronounced bridge so hopefully I'll be ok... I am looking into the Noah now as well, it seems to have a better field of view than the Viper... Found some good tests of both here http://www.apneapassion.com/en/attrezzature/ap-super-test/141-mares-viper-ai-raggi-x.html Can you report back when you get the Sauron, on how it compares in the field of view category against those two, and also if the lenses touch your brows at all when pressed hard against your face?

Cheers!

I don't have a pronounced bridge so hopefully I'll be ok... I am looking into the Noah now as well, it seems to have a better field of view than the Viper... Found some good tests of both here http://www.apneapassion.com/en/attrezzature/ap-super-test/141-mares-viper-ai-raggi-x.html Can you report back when you get the Sauron, on how it compares in the field of view category against those two, and also if the lenses touch your brows at all when pressed hard against your face?

Cheers!

I will be able to test it on Friday. Will report afterwards.
The salvimar noah does have an impressive field of view. It is a real bummer that it doesn't fit my small face so well.
The problem seems to be the distance between the bottom of my nose, there where your nostrils are and the bridge of the nose.
It would be nice if manufacturers would offer different sizes in masks in the future. I am sure that would be a success.

Sent from the abyss

Okay here is the verdict.

The Sigalsub Sauron has become my new favorite since it doesn't push into my nosebridge. The field of view seems a little bit larger then the Viper but the skirt is not as comfortable as the Viper or the the Noah since the rubber is a little bit more stiff. I still have to use it while spearfishing next weekend and will see how it feels after wearing it for hours on end. It doesn't feel uncomfortable but after being used to the comfort of the Viper I notice a difference.

Comfort of the skirt:
1. Viper
2. Noah
3. Sauron

Fit on my face:
1. Sauron
2. Viper
3. Noah

Field of view:
1. Noah
2. Sauron
3. Viper

If you get the chance it is always best to test a mask before purchasing. It remains a very personal item and what works best for me might be different for you.

There is another new mask made by Mares it is called x-free. I would love to hear from anyone who has been using it how it performs.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT