• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Martin, Mandy, and Dr. George Lopez in the Caymans

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Paul
Thanks for all the work and getting the news out.
Aloha
Bill

Congratulations to everyone involved. This was a suberbly organized and publicized event, as well as being an athletic miracle.

There's a huge difference in our appreciation of a record when we've been able to 'live' alongside the athletes during the prep. Compare this to the rather cold anouncements on Sportalsub (Carlos implanted him second world record in less than 4 days, when he carried out a descent in the modality of free immersion...).

But I have a question. How come Doc is going for a National US record at 34m? :confused: Haven't any of you yankie-doodle-divers gone this deep before, or has nobody bothered to offialize their depths?

Ciao

Al

Alastair,

Fotunately, it's that " nobody bothered to officialize their depths". The U.S. mens records in most disciplines, except for static apnea and constant balast (with fins) are either open or old enough to be w/in range of intermediate divers.

Tanya Streeter and Annabel Brisenio have the women's records locked up.

The topic came up here (sort of):
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?postid=339236#post339236

Next time you're over, we can go do a bunch of 40m FI's at Bainbridge Sportsmen's Club ;).

Reactions: donmoore
Great Job

I concur with Alastair this was a superb event. Congratulations to the athletes, coaches, team mates, safety divers, assistants, web guys, photographers, sponsors and everybody else who pitched in. :cool:

Reactions: donmoore
Good God!

You mean that anyone who can dive to the mid 30m mark could make the "all time US record" list :duh:confused: ?!?!?!?!?

Cool :D

I suppose you have to be American to try though...

As you point out, there are loads of intermediate level divers who could hit these depths, but there must be 2 or 3 great divers who could add 30 or 40m to these numbers. Isn't DSV American?

Do you all have such balanced egos that you don't want to try???!! You are better men than me, I have to admit.

Happy Sunday

Al

P.S. I mean in no way to question the great achievement of 'Doc' in his record attempt.

P.P.S Hey Pezman, check out some photos of my family on the gallery!!

Last edited:
Reactions: donmoore and thud
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all your support and congratulations to the team members. We hope you enjoyed the journey with us as much as we've enjoyed it ?

We look forward to doing this again in a much better and more interactive fashion soon and hope you'll join us again.

Take care and stay tuned for a comprehensive photo album in the coming days.

Sincerely,

Reactions: thud and donmoore
http://gallery.deeperblue.net/showgallery.php?cat=534

We now have over 150 photos in from Cayman in the gallery above. Apologise for no captions at present but promise to have the captions online within 24 hours!

Congrats to Kirk and the PFD team for their coverage and looking after Paul - and of course a HUGE congrats to Martin, Mandy and Doc.

Congratulations for the whole PFD team. Great 'interactive' event. Most of us were 'glued' to our PC's during most of the event! Incredible anticipation on the forum during the 'record' days when we were waiting for news!

It would still be nice to post the video of Martin's 100m CW training dive.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

i am waiting for the next big pfd-team-event ... mayby i have time to be there :)
it was a pleasure to visit your homepage and follow the event ...
really good job, this event was a big step forward for all -> medias, ...
the interactive tool was perfect.

Like Eric said, the only time i remember beeing this glued to the pc, checking every 5 minutes for news, was at the first Cyprus competition, where you had similar dialy exiting updates.
This PFD event was an example of how such an event should be setup , mediawise but of course also logisticaly, which sounds to me like a nightmare to handle.
I especialy liked the emphasis that everybody was equal , no prima donnas, but just as much attention to the incredible safety divers, who risk there healt for us crazy freedivers.
Where would we be without there selfless help !!!!

Big chuncks of Karma to the safety team.

p.s. Yes please , to a video of Martins training dive !!

Greetzzz,

GlennV
www.glenn-venghaus.nl

I agree with you all, I was atached to my computer to know the news about the records. The information, the videos and pictures were perfect. Congratulations to all for the records and keep going this way

thanks for posting those - really interesting.

What seems amazing to me is that on the descent of the FI Martin does not seem to be gliding much - or is that just because only the shallow bit was filmed mainly? looks kind of clumsy.. if he could get as smooth as say, Pierre Frolla, how far could he go then!!

and on the CW - still lots of knee bending with the monofin (the middle part of the ascent) - is it really as much of a crime as everyone makes out? seems to work for Martin!!

Also - how many scuba safety divers were present? I can't see any on the video other than the guy filming? just interested

thanks loads for putting these up

Sam

I have a different opinion
Stepanek's FI dive, is one the best dives I have ever seen.
It was so controlled, that it's incredible to think he was coming out from 102 meters.
At the beginning the pull was very slow and controlled because he doesn't know what will be the best speed so he concentrated on the technique. I like much more than Frolla's dive.
Of course, just my opinion.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT