• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

May long weekend 2008

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ours was similar here close to Edmonton. I was surprised to be walking nearly nekkid on a local lake a few weeks back on an 18C day!

Let me know how your day is tomorrow.

Attachments

• underwear.jpg
    underwear.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 207
Will do.

I hope it is better than last weekend. We were out about 150 km south of Saskatoon. We got into our honey hole that ALWAYS produced very well last year and never saw a single fish in 5 hours of being in the water. Weird part was that there were zero baitfish/minnnows there either. I think this year the spawn may be quite late, even in the southern lakes. Fishing reports on all lakes in the southern zone (that opened May 3rd) were also reported as being extremely slow.

I just called one of the lodges north of Prince Albert and she said they expect the ice to be off by this weekend. The other lakes are going a bit slower but she said it has been very sunny the past few days and it is melting.

Reactions: Erik
Was about 100 km north of Saskatoon in 2 smaller lakes. Ice on both of them but looks like they are rotting pretty nicely. Locals say that it should all be gone by Mon./Tues.

Got a shot at a couple of pike, one almost on top of the other but missed due to technical difficulties. :)

'Technical difficulties' with my bands. I missed the pike by about 5" or so on the low side. I could actually see my spear drop like a rock. I think my problem may be the bands themselves. I've only been in cold water twice now, but I have observed the same problem when disarming/discharging my speargun. It almost seems that when you load your bands in a 'warm' state, and then take them into the cold water, they will lose their shape (becoming almost twice their size, much thinner, and limp). Or maybe I just have crappy bands (AB Biller)?

They return to normal shape with just a couple of minutes out of the water, so I am pretty confident in saying that it is all temperature related. Maybe I have to expose them to the cold water first, before I load the gun?

I am very new to cold water spearing and spearing in general. This was only my second time out in the water before the end of June, when water temps are much warmer and so I have never experience this before.

Yeah the cold is a different thing. I haven't observed the band problem before... are they latex or black rubber? My OMER with latex bands is fine. My previous JBL had rubber bands that were horrible- I replaced them with latex and it was better, but still a piece of junk haha!
I don't know the Biller gun really.

I'd say get rid of those and replace them with some good latex ones. The action is smoother. The bands slowly come up to speed rather than just unloading all their energy at once. Possibly the cold wont affect them as much too.

Just for sh1ts and giggles I phoned the local diveshop for latex bands. "You want what? They make bands out of latex?" I think it'd be easier trying to track down a hockey stick in Costa Rica. Thank the Lord for e-commerce and international shipping :)

I am assuming you called the guys at the Dive Centre, they are good guys but have limited knowledge about spearfishing.

Erik I talked to my Grandpa who lives in Meadow Lake the other night and he said the ice was off green lake and they were getting good ice melting weather. Hopefully it is off for you, I am still worried that we may be ice diving.

Erik I talked to my Grandpa who lives in Meadow Lake the other night and he said the ice was off green lake and they were getting good ice melting weather. .

Woohoo! It's supposed to be 24C on Friday in Edmonton- hopefully it's the same in Sask :)

The forecast for Calgary is the same but unfortunately the forecast for the area I am going is not as warm but as long as it doesn't rain I am happy.

Very warm and windy the last couple of days (today included)...Have heard that most of the lakes are now open...

Just got back from 4 days with Sherri and my sis/bro-in-law at Kimball Lake campground. No luck in Kimball as the vis wasn't great. Saw some nice Walleye but they were spooked within the shitty range of vis. Same thing in Little Raspberry but managed to bag a beautiful 5lb Splake. Sherri has the pics- I'll post later.
I reconned a few other lakes that had 20cm vis: Mustus and Rusty... don't bother- they are swamps :(
The ice just came off Little Raspberry so the lake is still turning over unfortunately. 2 years ago the lake had settled and there was easily 12 metres of horizontal vis at 10 metres deep! Vis was a misty 2 metres this weekend- I was very lucky to hit the fish I did. It was delicious, with huge filets!
I have heard that Pierce Lake has fantastic vis sometimes, so that might be next on the list, or messey's lakes up by PA.
Beautiful weather all weekend until Sunday night when it rained, but no worries. I love Saskatchewan!

Thats to bad the vis was poor for you Erik we had the same problem at a few lakes too. Our trout lake though had decent vis at about 20 feet. We found some large schools of splake, my brother and I both managed one each. I also got one rainbow all three were kind of small though,. Our pike lakes had bad vis and we couldn't find the fish, I shot 2 but they were guess where the fish swam to shots.

The plan this summer is to go up to Whiteswan on August long and September long if any one wants to join us.

Reactions: Erik
Some pics, including the amazing northern sunset...

Attachments

• sask camping 068.JPG
    sask camping 068.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 225
  • sask camping 069.JPG
    sask camping 069.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 230
  • sask camping 075.JPG
    sask camping 075.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 219
  • sask camping 076.JPG
    sask camping 076.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 213
  • sask camping 077.JPG
    sask camping 077.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT