• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mediterranean Freediving Meeting and International Depth Competition

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Stavros

Jan 25, 2006
Dear Freedivers

We would like to announce the 1st Mediterranean Freediving Meeting and International Depth Competition to be held in the island of Crete between the 14th and the 27th of July 2008.

The Meeting is organized as an event for freedivers from around the world to meet, train, socialize and enjoy the wonderful hospitality of the island of Crete.

The 1st Mediterranean Freediving Meeting is going to be based in the picturesque seaside village of Sougia in the south of Chania in the island of Crete and is going to include two weeks of organized depth training followed by a three day International Open Depth (CWT, CNF, FIM) Competition with World Record Status.

All information on the Meeting and Competition can be found at the attached document and a dedicated website will be up during the next week.

For any information you might require please email me at skastrinakis@yahoo.com or call +306977808648

See you in Crete!!!
Cheers Stavros Kastrinakis

Attachments

• Mediterranean Freediving Meeting.doc
    111 KB · Views: 262
  • Full moon is Sougia.jpg
    Full moon is Sougia.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Sougia.jpg
    Sougia.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Comp setup.jpg
    Comp setup.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Accomodation.jpg
    Accomodation.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 140
this looks great - I just hope it doesn't get cancelled or moved at the last minute like the last Greek comp : ( I never got my flight money back....

any SaltFree'ers fancy it?

S

Stavros,

this looks so, so inviting. But why are you announcing it this late when most people have made their plans for the season allready...???

I dont think I can fit it in now but hope you will be organizing something like it next year as well.

Anyways I wish all the participants a wunderfull time
Martin

Hi Sam,

nope this will not get moved like last year's comp (the 2007 Greek national championships) - this comp is organized by me personally and is intended to cater for freedivers from all around the world so no local circumstances (like last year's parliamentary elections :-( ) will affect this comp.

Martin - yeap I am aware that an earlier announcement would have helped but this idea came about only a 1,5 month ago and it took me this time to set up a team, finalize the location, short out accommodation etc etc... but rest assured that as long as this year's comp works out as we imagine it will, it will be followed by a similar event next year.

Cheers Stavros

PS. The comp website will be up in the next couple of days...stay tuned

Stavros!

This looks like a fabulous comp! From the very professional infoattachment and the beautiful location this will probably bee one of the most attractive comps in our part of the world. And Crete is very easy to reach for all europeans. This also seem to be a very nice place to bring along your family for vacation, and at the same time participate in very safe deep training and a good competition. Perfect :inlove

If you arrange this competition next year in July, you can already count me in. This year I cant make it, but I will hopefully see you in june in Athens.

Erlend

Wow.......

I wanna go!!!!!!!!!!!

I started freediving in crete and its an amazing island, what more can you want than diving, amazing scenary, great people and top food, mmm.... food.

Sam isnt this the day after Salt Free, a tad tight to get out? But I might be swayed if I stick it to the man who runs me 9 - 5 ;)

Tim

Hi All,
just a quick update - the inlist has already started and we have William Winram who will be coming to compete (most likely Will will have a go at all 3 disciplines) and Fred Buyle who will be coming to run an AIDA 4* and Instructor course during the Meeting.

Tim - note that the meeting starts on the 14th...you can take a brake after the Salt Free comp and show for week 2.

I have to run... have to complete the comp website ....

Cheers Stavros

Hi All,

the competition website is up (after long delays due to server problems) check it out to find a lot of useful information regarding the Mediterranean Meeting and Competition.

Home

We expect several attempts for World and National Records to take place during the meeting and I will be updating the information on the calender as these attempts are confirmed.

I will be in Crete next week doing some checking of the dive location and will update the website after that with even more information

Cheers Stavros

Though I cannot attent, I want to thank you Stavros for organising such a nice allround event at such a nice location :)

Oh and BTW you got allready some really nice well knowsn names on your inlist like, Alexey, Natalia Molchanova, Herbert Nitch, William Winram, Maldame, Anna Boetinger, Fred Buyle and some more!

Love, Courage and Water!

Kars

Last edited:
Hi All and thanks Kars for the kind words.

the website has and will be updated regularly as new info regarding the competition becomes available.

First piece of news is a dive site update based on our recent dive trip to Sougia yesterday.
You can find all this in the new Updates section and more information will be shown on the "schedule" and "inlist" pages.

Soon we will be announcing the record attempts (we have 3 people that will be attempting WR and NRs at the Meeting outside the official competition dates mainly in the sled diciplines)

Stay tuned: Freediving Club

Cheers Stavros

Last edited:
Hi All,
we are 4 weeks before the start of the event - the webpage has been updated with an up-to-date inlist and some interesting information I have just come across. Check out the updates page.

We have also arranged for the Mediterranean Freediving Meeting to be featured in the mainstream sport magazine "Sport Plus" as a suggestion for "things to do in July" and a full article covering the event will be published in a special Sunday edition of one of the largest mass circulation newspapers "Kathimerini" (this will of course take place after the event).

Stay tuned

Cheers Stavros

All is ready for the Mediterranean Freediving Meeting and we are leaving for Crete in a couple of days.

The website has been updated and I will be posting updates as the event progresses.

Freediving Club

Cheers Stavros

Soo, will there be updates on the training aswell? I have a hunch that there has been a REALLY deep female training dive already and I would love some details on that....
...so very exciting!!

This will really be a great comp!

updates?

how's the food? the vis, water temperature? fun factor?

the posted pix look sweet :t

c'mon guys, lay it on me.

r.

Great blog, Herbert, it's going to make interesting reading these next few weeks. Love to you and everyone else there. Sorry I'm not there but thinking about you x x x

Sara

Hi Guys
Sorry for not updating earlier but things have been quite hectic during the first few days of training - if memory serves during one of the first days during a sled course we are running we managed around 12 No-limits dives in one day...

I am trying to upload an update in the official site now so hopefully it will be up in a while.

News:
Natalia is diving deep
There were three male divers diving the sled below 100m today
Visibility is 30m on a bad day and the best we 've had was around 40-45m
Water temp is 24-25C and there is a nasty thermocline at 55-60 to wake you up on the way down.
The food is great and the rest of the story is going to be up on the website.

We have the first two National Record attempts scheduled for tomorrow
I am going for and NLT at 120 or there abouts and William is going for Variable at the same depth.

I will try and update as soon as possible...

Cheers Stavros

Hey, thanks for the update Stavros, will check back to the website. When you say Nathalia's going deep, how deep exactly do you mean ;-)

Watching with interest!
x
S

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT