• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mediterranean Freediving Meeting and International Depth Competition

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
hey sara, worried about your last wr? well nothing lasts forever, unfortunately... the buddists teach that everyday :)
how are ya anyway?
ciao ciao x

stavros, any news? or you guys are too busy having a great time? if so, then go on with it!! :)

hey sara, worried about your last wr? well nothing lasts forever, unfortunately... the buddists teach that everyday :)
how are ya anyway?
ciao ciao x

From what I hear its getting very interesting ;) :mute :mute

Anna that is a brilliant write up! Never have I been so jealous of not being at a comp..... here are you guys having all sorts of fun in the blue and i'm stuck at home packing boxes...:naughty

Congratulations on your dive too, I told you sleds were fun!

Take care all and stay safe. Keep the updates coming!

Cheerio,
Ben

Hi All,
I have finally found the wifi password to a nearby provider and can get online from my room so it will be easier to stay in touch compared to having to walk all the way to the beach cafes (an incredible 141m away) to use their free wifi.

So - back to more news.

Anna has posted most of the latest information on her blog so I will just add whatever else comes to mind.

Record attempts:
We have so far had 6 record attempts from Herbert, Anna, Robert and William in the Variable Weight discipline out of which only Anna was able to hit her target depths in both her attempts (70m and 80m) while the boys have unfortunately had a "sticky-ear-run-out-of air" syndrome. (Herbert AP 142m RP 131m, William AP 120m RP 109m, Robert AP 73m RP 60m)
As Anna mentioned I was able to squeeze in a NLT dive to 125m which was really a lot of fun (dive time 2:34 with a slow ascent the last 20m for deco purposes).

The training dives are going very well for pretty much everyone:
Carlos in going deep and staying relaxed with his extremely long dives (4min+ to ~100m) which are causing the safety crew a nervous breakdown.
Guillaume is taking it easy and looking cool in his new silver suit - he has gotten rid of his Egyptian imported Yala Yala and is looking good in training.
The Molchanovs are looking very strong - Natalia and Alexei are diving at around the same depths but amazingly Alexei is about 1min faster than his mother (As Natalia is always pointing out - "Alexei very strong...very strong)
Christian Maldame and Berangere Duclos are having an internal struggle deciding what they prefer most - training for freediving or spearfishing the wonderful seas of Crete... Christian is hitting impressive depth despite that struggle....
Anna and Robert have finished their sled training days and are back to normal depth training for the competition - They are hating every minute of it - CWT is such hard work after 8 days of sled diving...
The Greek contingency is also looking strong with Manolis doing nice long dives and Giorgos practicing his newly acquired knowledge from his AA instructor course with fellow AA instructor Richard Wonka.

WR attempts
Herbert's WR attempt had to be canceled due to strong winds which made it unsafe to setup and run the sled dive :-( (difficult call but I do not regret it...)
Today is the last day that Herbert can attempt the VAR WR dive and unfortunately (as shown by the weather forecast) the same windy conditions persist... I am moving depth training to the afternoon and Herbert's attempt after that hoping that the wind will die down...(you are really the first to know - I have not even announced it to the athletes yet :-D )
Weather forecast is good for tomorrow and the rest of the competition days so we hope all will be well from tomorrow on.

I will be posting news and results every competition day so stay tuned. (The first announcements for the 1st competition day are in and we are seeing some nice numbers)

THE PRIZE

As I mentioned on the official comp website there will be a prize for the best overall male and female competitor (ie the person that collects the most points from the three competition days - WR get a 25 point bonus NR get a 10 point bonus)

The prize is that the winner can choose to attend next year's event free of charge or they can choose to have me host and organize any freediving event they want (record attempt or otherwise) free of charge... everybody was quite happy with this announcement and I have already had a couple of performance announcements aimed at that prize.

That is all for now - I have to go back to running around :)

Cheers Stavros

Thank you so much for the updates to both Anna and Stavros. This event sounds better and better. What a crowd of freedivers! And what a prize!

"The prize is that the winner can choose to attend next year's event free of charge or they can choose to have me host and organize any freediving event they want (record attempt or otherwise) free of charge..."

Brilliant idea!

I hope you all get some really nice dives in the days to come!

You all suck!
I'm so jealous too..! rofl
Especially when I read that : <<Christian Maldame and Berangere Duclos are having an internal struggle deciding what they prefer most - training for freediving or spearfishing the wonderful seas of Crete... >>

:head
.../...

Oh hell, now you all suck too! I can't make it too Nordic Deep, i'm travelling around East Europe then, on the long trip home.

Buggerbuggerbuggerbuggerbuggerbuggerbuggerbuggerbuggerbuggerbuggerbuggerbugger

Nah have an awesome time Martin, say hi to all those scandinavian cold water lovers for me.

Like Benny, wish I was there rather than hunched over my laptop dealing with ridiculous spreadsheets.

It just makes me want to walk up to my boss, tell her to shove the job up her arse and jump on a plane to Greece right now. And then to Sharm. And then to Sweden. Then Amsterdam. Then the Bahamas. Then Dahab. Then Greece. Then... you get the picture.

Anyone want to sponsor my quest to follow the sun round the world and never see a cold, wet and windy winter in Wales ever again?

Please.

95 meters by Molchanova, New WR in CWT

Natalia Molchanova did it...

95m CWT in 3'27". Looking very fresh and strong after the dive !!!

Congratulation!

/B

Awesome. She just seems to get better and better as she gets older...

Hi Guys and Gals
I apologize to Ben and all for being so nasty to you ... I have updated the website with the 1st day's results and some information. The 2nd day's results are being announced at 17:00 GMT (Greek Maybe Time) and later on today the results will be uploaded on the website.

Check it out:

Freediving Club

Stavros

Ok Stavros, because you're being so nasty, you have some explaining to do ;)

What happened to Rob King? 60m FIM shouldn't have been a stretch for him.

And Will W?

Some very very strong results there, congratulations to the Molchanov family and all the rest of you out there. I'm still very jealous!

Cheerio,
Ben

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT