• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Music to dive with

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Vangelis' "Oceanic" album is AWESOME, have any of you purchased the soundtrack to "Ocean Men" yet? Is it good?

Just thought I'd give this thread a bump... :cool:

I remarked to my training partner last night that I'd love to be able to listen to some music while doing a static. Half the battle for me is not thinking about the pain of the contractions, so music would be a nice distraction. Pink Floyd would be great...

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has actually tried using music while doing wet statics, and if so, how did you do it? Just a plain old stereo on the poolside? Some sort of waterproof headphone/MP3 player setup?

Just curious... I can see myself bringing my old CD player to my next pool session... :cool:

Mandy-Rae Cruickshank caused some controversy when she set a world record whilst listening to the radio. I think it was her 6:16 in May 2002. If memory serves, she had a waterproof device strapped to her head.

Some people claimed that this gave an unfair advantage. However, as she’d been listening to country music...

Oceanic do a waterproof MP3 player that is rated to 60m I think - I quite fancy using it, but need to find the dosh to buy it!!!! Some of the scuba guys out here use it and say its great on their deco stops...

Donna

Cornholio said:
...However, as she’d been listening to country music...

Country Music is neither.. :hmm

In my spare time, I compose Deep House music under the guise of dj ClifMahn on Acid Planet. I listen on my portable MP3 player.. totally distracts me when doing statics.. If I can make it thru one of my songs completely, I'm in the running for a US record.. LOL

What an old, but nice thread. Cliff, where have you been?

I totally relate and agree with Adam who started the thread back in 2003. On the way to the pool a few years ago with my kids, to meet up with a dive partner for practice, the kids were playing this real catching, but upbeat song. I could not get that song out of my head. When it came time for statics I passed out in the quickest time ever. I have done many statics past that one, but with that song playing in my head, it seemed to burn my O2 up really quick.

Every since that day, I guard my listening before diving. If possible I try to expose myself to nice slow meditation type music - like with alpha waves.
don

Reactions: naiad
i've tried - I've got a waterproof radio and a fm transmitter on my ipod - so I can set the ipod up poolside and listen to it through the radio

it was a great idea but then I found the ear phones - which are like swimmers earplugs really irritating so I gave up - must try again though, I do much better dry statics with music...

s

I didn't have anything to contribute to this thread when it was first started. But, now that I have one of these things, I'll add my 2 cents.

I have this mp3 player http://eng.iaudio.com/zeroboard/product_U2.php?bmenu=p&id=cw6000 (1 gig version).

And it goes in this waterproof case http://www.waterproofcases.net/mp3case.html. It keeps it dry without any worries. The only caveat is headphones. They don't sound nearly as good as quality earbuds (no big surprise) and (as Sam noted with her headphones) they become a bit uncomforable after a while. But whatever pain they create, it's nothing compared to the pain of boredom from swimming for 1 hour (in a pool) with nothing but that "one song" STUCK in my head.

I also looked at this player when I was "in the market" but 200 bones for a mere 128mb player that is worthless outside the pool wasn't something I wanted to invest in. http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/3020.htm

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT