• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need help with float line set up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

deepbluesea

Jan 3, 2013
hi all,

i am still a new to spearfishing and have a question regarding the setting/rigging up of the float line to the gun. any of the more experienced spearos able to give some advice?. i am mainly doing rock hops within the coast line area and not diving very deep (approximately 3 to 7 metres).. i am not sure what is the standard configuration of the gun and float set up for rock hops?? would the rig be something like this----> gun attached to shark clip-> to float line -- to float--> to fish keep?? also what is the purpose of using a shark clip when i could just tie a knot using the float line to the gun?? where else would i be using the shark clips in the setup??

-another thing i am trying to figure out is handling of the float line as it is fairly bouyant. while swimming at the surface i am bound to get tangled at times. which is quite annoying. is there any way specific method of line handling that some one can touch on? What i mean is, is there any way of tying/ managing the float line in such a way that when i dive deeper it slowly releases itself? or is it meant to be let free the minute i am in the water.??
lastly is there a setup where i do not have to attach my gun to the floatline considering i am not going after huge fish??

it will be great if you guys can help! thanks!

I'm following this as well.
Thinking on the same: how to set-up the
Float-line from the float to me and the gun :) Hoping for some insights.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi deepbluesea,

i’ve am in a similar situation and have been trawling through these forums for info on exactly this and a few other things for my first set up. There is a huge amount of discussion on here about it but it can be quite hard to find.

If an old hand would like to correct me if any of this is wrong please. :)

I have almost finished making my own speargun and have changed it massively because of info i have found on here. It started out with a reel and now has double wrapped fixed length of line on a line release because after reading on here i’m never going to need a reel where i’m going to be spearing.

From my research I've found that allot/most people want to be completely independent of there float, line, gun setup. So that if the line gets caught on a reef or kelp say you are not stuck as well or if you do shoot a big fish and it takes you for a ride again you can get away and not drown.

I think that the shark clip is to do with the using a speed stringer setup. This means that when you spear a fish and it stops fighting you unclip the gun from the speed stringer and pass the stringer through the gills and out the mouth of the fish and then reattach to the gun. The fish will then work it way up the float line to you float. I think you could just tie it if you were going to use; a body stringer, a stringer hanging from your float or a compartment inside or on top of your float.

Hope that answers some of your questions and gives you a few more things to search for in the forum. I’ll post some pic of my homemade gun and float setup when I finish it. Let me know how it goes and it would be nice to see what you setup looks like when your done.

diddavetellyou

Have drybag will travel

Reactions: SerenityNZ
Hey thanks for ur input :)
Ive bein thinking on a float Line from the floater to the gun and Then tie
A knot 5 feet from ther and Then
Click a Line on 2-3 feet to my belt over the knot so my body pulls the
Float and i Can let go of the gun and swim up even the gun is stuck.
Howe does this sounds??
Ive Got a elastik floatline on 8 mtr in 5mm.
Ill like to hear more from others and ther setup and ill post
FOTO of my when i get it testet :) need spring time first the wather
Is only 2 degrees

hi all,

i am still a new to spearfishing and have a question regarding the setting/rigging up of the float line to the gun. any of the more experienced spearos able to give some advice?. i am mainly doing rock hops within the coast line area and not diving very deep (approximately 3 to 7 metres).. i am not sure what is the standard configuration of the gun and float set up for rock hops?? would the rig be something like this----> gun attached to shark clip-> to float line -- to float--> to fish keep?? also what is the purpose of using a shark clip when i could just tie a knot using the float line to the gun?? where else would i be using the shark clips in the setup??

-another thing i am trying to figure out is handling of the float line as it is fairly bouyant. while swimming at the surface i am bound to get tangled at times. which is quite annoying. is there any way specific method of line handling that some one can touch on? What i mean is, is there any way of tying/ managing the float line in such a way that when i dive deeper it slowly releases itself? or is it meant to be let free the minute i am in the water.??
lastly is there a setup where i do not have to attach my gun to the floatline considering i am not going after huge fish??

it will be great if you guys can help! thanks!

I'm no expert, but here is what i do; i use pvc tube from a hardware store - length to suit your dive depth + plenty of slack. I use 6mm clear pvc tube.
I just pass the end through a small stainless clip and tape it over. Do the same at both ends.
The pvc tube is not toooo tangly - it still does tangle sometimes, but if you can hang it up stretched out then it loses its twists.
i use mine for attaching to the kayak and to my belt loop, or for attaching to the gun, depending on how much tide i'm diving in. I usually tow my kayak from the waist, but i usually tow my float from my gun.
Also on the guns i use a bit of plastic tube so that i dont have metal on metal making noise in the water.
buoyant tube is best as it wont snag so much, but i just use a small float on the line at 5m from me to hold it up.
some pics attached & a calculation for the float line buoyancy [hopefully its right!].

Attachments

• floatconnn.jpg
    floatconnn.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 816
  • gunconnn.jpg
    gunconnn.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 773
  • pvc pipe.jpg
    pvc pipe.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 719
For storing the excess rope/line I have just switched to a line winder. But previously I have attached a bar (metal or plastic or wood) onto the float, going the length of the float. Then wrap the line around the bar in a figure of eight shape before either tying it off or using a clip at one end to stop the line comin unravelled.

The shark clip just allows quick release/re attachment to different guns. So I would say tie the line to the float directly, then use the shark clip to connect to your gun. Some guns have clips built in so you can use tht instead. So the setup would go:
Float, knot, line, shark clip, gun.

Or if using a line winder:
Float, small amount of line (2-3ft), line winder, knot, line, shark clip, gun.

Hope this helps a bit. If not I will try get some pics for you

There are two choices of ways to use a float line. The simplest is to just attach the float line clip to a loop of line or mono on the back of the gun as shown in the first photo. The disadvantage is that a big fish takes your gun down with it. But if you don't shoot big fish, its probably the easiest way to go.

The other way is what is known as a breakaway system. After you shoot, the gun is out of the chain, safe in your hands.

And easy way to rig this is to cut the shooting line so that the loop in the rear end is 2 or 3 inches from the trigger-activated line release. Then stretch a loop of bungee cord from the shooting line over the line release, and clip the float line to the loop in the shooting line. When you pull the trigger, the bungee comes off of the line release and the shooting line is attached to the float line with your gun out of the chain.

I rig all my guns as breakaway.

Attachments

• buttfloatline.JPG
    buttfloatline.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 893
  • breakaway2.jpg
    breakaway2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 746
  • breakaway2released.JPG
    breakaway2released.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 788
  • break1.JPG
    break1.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 640
  • break2.JPG
    break2.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 850
Last edited:
Reactions: Scoobaru
Well, my photos don't seem to show. All I see is question marks.

This week I found some very promising looking new 20m polypropylene washing lines (I've tried several plastic coasted washing lines in the past, all rather disappointing) at the local indoor market. It is very similar to the inexpensive, stiff, olive/drab Rob Allen float lines (also referred to generically as Thai curry green rope on some forums). It is not quite as stiff or as thick as the RA lines but it is available in several colours (including red and dull green:)), it claims to be made in Britain and it only costs £1 for 20m:) -- I normally use an RA line shortened to 12m. I've splice hand-size loops in each end and plan to give it a try. As I don't expect to encounter any marlin/tuna in the UK, I think the thinner line might offer some advantage (less drag, harder for fish to see). It has product no 2220 but unfortunately no manufacturer's name :(.

i have just sent Mr X a PM about this post in an older thread. will report back if he reply's.

diddavetellyou

have drybag will travel

I made my own float but as for my line I have some nylon cord on a carabiner which is attached to the float, then this rolls through a short fat piece of PVC pipe to "wind up" ecess cord, or let more out depending where I am diving. Then it runs to another carabiner which is clipped to my gun. My fish stringer is totally separate from these hanging off the rear of my float.

Btw. What do you do Whit the fish howe do you kille Them ?
Ore do you just string Them and they Will die slowly??
Maybe a stupid question bit just wondering :)

With a stringer, use the spike to push through the fish's brain. Form an imaginary triangle between the eyes and an unmarked spot on the top of the fish head. I push the stringer deep into the head and then pull down towards the fish mouth to make sure you hit the brain. The fish should die pretty much instantly (most humane), they may twitch a little but that's just the nerves. Then depending in the fish rip the gills out. I then string fish through the eyes or if using a speed stringer through the gills and out the mouth. For flatties or fish with eyes protruding or set right at the front of the head I will push the stringer straight through the fish's head and string that way.

Btw. What do you do Whit the fish howe do you kille Them ?
Ore do you just string Them and they Will die slowly??
Maybe a stupid question bit just wondering :)

I double Scoobaru on the killing. My preference depend on the fish and size, but I always kill them - I believe that is the most respectfull and safest thing to do. I kill Mullets by braking their neck, throuts and flatfish with a knife between the eyes. Bigger fishes are best passified and killed by cutting or tearing out their gills.

Here in Denmark I normally have the stringer attached to the float. At nightdives I sometimes have the stringer in my belt - It's a little quicker. In Denmark I normally have the floatline attached to the gun. That's nice and simple. Bills break-away is great and safe when hunting big fish but i don't use that setup when hunting in Denmark.

Jegwan

Send me a PM when the water gets warmer. It's to cold for me now :)

I use a set-up very similar to Bill's, except I dont have a pin in the gun holding the line, there is a few inches of bungee with a high strength dynema core inside it, at the end of the shooting line. This clips onto the release and the elasticity of the bungee keeps it together until the gun is fired. They float line is in turn clipped to the shooting line, and it runs through the butt loop in the gun.

When fired, everything--spear, shooting line, and float line--is disengaged from the gun, but the floatline is free running through the butt loop in the gun. So your gun is not in the way but in no danger of floating off. Most guys out here when hunting in kelp with a floatline do not use a float in the kelp; assuming your float line is long enough, you have plenty of time to get the surface and work before even a very big fish (like large enough to pull you under) can pull all the line all the way through the gun. For deeper stuff and blue water, it is nice to have the float--boat captain can quickly see where you are even if you are deep, gun is not going to get lost, and if you are really deep, you can dangle with your gun at the end of the line so you don't continue to freefall and end up deeper than you meant to be.

i have just sent Mr X a PM about this post in an older thread. will report back if he reply's.

Here is some of our discussion:
This week I found some very promising looking new 20m polypropylene washing lines (I've tried several plastic coasted washing lines in the past, all rather disappointing) at the local indoor market. It is very similar to the inexpensive, stiff, olive/drab Rob Allen float lines (also referred to generically as Thai curry green rope on some forums). It is not quite as stiff or as thick as the RA lines but it is available in several colours (including red and dull green:)), ... made in Britain and it only costs £1 for 20m:) ... It has product no 2220 but unfortunately no manufacturer's name :(.

hi Mr X,

I would like to know how you found it; did it float? how long did it last? do you still use it?

any input would be very helpful, thanks
...[/QUOTE]

It's good. I use it about half the time and other times I use my original Rob Allen float line, which is similar but a bit thicker (and therefore a bit stiffer) and a slightly darker colour. Really depends on what length I need (my new line is longer since I cut the original RA line) - which depends on water depth and tangle hazards. Yes, polypropylene rope floats and is stiff, which helps reduce (but will not eliminate) tangles.

Pelaj float "Thai green curry"/olive/drag polyster float line:
$(KGrHqV,!hME457FigW+BOVOF5(8uw~~48_12.JPG

USA only $12 for 20m: [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/20m-camo-olive-green-floatline-/270805780268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0d48472c"]20M Camo Olive Green Floatline | eBay[/ame]

Red is also worth considering as it apparently becomes grey underwater as lower energy red light disappears more quickly.

A guy at my local indoor market was selling this line for a while - he sells household things, paper towels, lighters, cleaning products - but eventually sold out and hasn't carried it since. I think he gets end of line stuff & perhaps shop closure left overs. I bought 3 or 4 - all green (I regret not getting more including a red & blue one). I've used it for other things too, inc. washing line, hanging a deer for cleaning & skinning, as lanyards for tools (for which it is ok but probably not the best thing) and my son used it to make a tyre swing (a bit thin for that). It's quite strong, probably strong enough for big tuna even. It seems to last pretty much indefinitely. I was able to re-use the sun-bleached rope that my son used for his tyre swing for several years.

BTW I use a home-made wooden cable winder to store my float lines. Basically a piece of wood about 8"-10" long with a big notch at each end, quite low profile. I've tried several plastic commercial ones too but they seem too big, too visible and too cumbersome to me. I tie the float end of the rope to the winder, that way the winder comes out into the sea with me, and I can choose to let just some rope off (if there are tangle hazards) of all of it. The float end of the rope clips into my float with an old anodized climbing karabiner - but you could just tie it on or use brass/s/steel clip.

Hope that helps?

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT