• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need help with float line set up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Note: the "speed-stringer" part with the barb is usually attached to the float, as shown below. You unclip the speed-needle from you gun (the main weakness with the system I think) and use that to thread the fish. Clip the gun back on the line. The fish then work their way up the float-line as you swim and eventually get trapped by the barb/flopper near the float. Neat, provided the fish don't break on their way up the line or thereafter (the other potential weakness, for example grey mullet have a reputation for breaking off of stringers).

17970d1205264681-speed-stringers-speedstringer.jpg

Source threads: http://forums.deeperblue.com/spearfishing-equipment/76575-speed-stringers.html#post697411 & Speed stringer? - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

BTW You don't need a solid float like that for UK waters. I have an RA one, like that above but with the optional diver flag & (internal) ballast, but hardy used it and haven't used it for some years. My brother has something v. similar, a safety/rescue buoy - never used it & he would probably sell it if anybody is interested) - they are really intended for very large fish, often when fishing from a boat (so you don't have far to carry it) and often used in pairs with bungees and/or breakaway rigs. For the UK, I would recommend that you instead get an inexpensive torpedo-style float with a decent sized built in dive-flag that can be blown up by mouth, rather than requiring a garage/foot-pump - they are very light & easy to carry, and can be inflated & deflated quickly, they last surprisingly well and can be patched.

Last edited:
This excellent thread, on another forum, discusses some of the practicalities of using a speed stringer: Rob Allen Speed Stringer - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum
Such as:
- not using it with a tubing float line (causes them to sink) and
- preferring twisted rope (like RA's & my washing line) rather than braided.
- shark attraction (although considerably better than a waist stringer tho'*! :D).

*Although fish on a waist stringer will often attract other curious fish. Best avoided in sharky waters though :). Seals will sometimes "steal" fish from stringers too - hey, you're hunting in their larder after all!

BTW I've added images to some of my earlier posts ;)

Last edited:
I usually hold the float line with my other hand, so there is about 1m of slack line to the gun. That way the float-line exerts no appreciable force on the speargun.

That makes sense, though if you're relying on your off-hand for holding on to kelp or pulling yourself along the bottom would it not get in the way?
I think I'll rig mine so I can clip my drop weight to the line instead of the gun as well, should the other method not work for me. I'll get it right eventually I'm sure!

That makes sense, though if you're relying on your off-hand for holding on to kelp or pulling yourself along the bottom would it not get in the way?
Good point. Sometimes it is practical to hold both, sometimes not. Once in position, the problems usually aren't as great as when you are swimming. If you dive below your neutral buoyancy point you usually don't need to hang onto weed, unless there is a strong current (which there often is :)).

Yes, you could anchor your float separately instead. I believe the Guerns often do that (e.g. Magpie, who used to use a curtain weight or large fishing weight I think). You can get small anchors that might be suitable too, fold-up stainless steel ones. A reef-hook or kelp-clip is another option, if you can find suitable rock/weed to attach it too. I guess I figure I will end up loosing my gun and/or float if I mess about with different systems - but I think this one is probably worth a try.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT