• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Need help with float line set up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Some more...
diddavetellyou said:
thanks Mr X’
The line I've bought also professes to be made in Britain, polypropylene centered PVC coated clothes line, product number 2015 15 meters in the 99p store but it also has a £3 label stuck on the side.

No, mine doesn't have a plastic coating, just polypropylene rope (nylon sinks). The disappointing stuff may have been plastic with a wire core - I really don't recall now, I suspect yours may sink :(.

I just use the float-line to:
(1) pull my float (which has my diver flag, crab bag & fish-stringer),
(2) attach my speargun to, so I don't loose the speargun.
It doesn't take any tension from the fish - fish here just aren't that big, usually, but I guess it could do - that's how the SA spearos & bluewater spearos do it, when hunting large pelagic fish. So the strength is not that critical in the UK. The ability of a float line to float & a degree if stiffness (to reduce snagging) is desirable, I think. I believe aquarium plastic tubing is quite popular in Dorset - the stuff they use on air-pumps.

I believe that some spearos clip their float-line to the back of their weight belt instead of the gun (in Dorset)- but I've never tried it, so won't comment further on it. Others have been known to attach a curtain weight (Guernsey), tiny anchor (Guernsey/SA) or "kelp hook" (South Africa), so they can place their float & then dive around it - again I haven't tried this so won't comment further.

Last edited:
Reactions: glassyfaces
One more...
diddavetellyou said:
aaaah. Just tested it in the kitchen sink and it doesn't float but i should have released that sooner. if it is 1mm polypropylene coated with PVC it was never going to float but it only cost a pound so no big loss. looks like I’ll just buy some of that blue polypropylene rope from a B’n’Q or Homebase instead, i need to go there any way to buy some bits for my DIY speed stringer.

would it be possible to repost some or all of this conversation to a public thread ...
http://forums.deeperblue.com/beginner-spearfishing/96997-need-help-float-line-set-up.html
That blue rope is usually too soft and flexible and you don't need rope that thick. ... It took me some years to find decent [polypropylene rope and I don't have access to more :( ]. Even then, my 20m Rob Allen line (which I think cost £7 at the time - prob. more now) is a little better (stiffer, thicker, darker green) - might be worth investing in one of those -- or get one of their longer ones (e.g. 60m) and split it between your and your pals, ~15m (e.g. 12-20m) each should be plenty to start with.... It is easy enough to splice (or knot) your own end-loops.

attachment.php

Pelaj float line (same as RA), $12 (=£7.99 - pretty good considering pound is very weak against $ currently) for 20m, USA: [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/20m-camo-olive-green-floatline-/270805780268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0d48472c"]20M Camo Olive Green Floatline | eBay[/ame]
$(KGrHqV,!hME457FigW+BOVOF5(8uw~~48_12.JPG

Attachments

• RA float lines.jpg
    RA float lines.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clear-White-Silicon-Aquarium-Line/dp/B008999P3C/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1360061720&sr=8-19"]20M X 4mm Clear White Silicon Aquarium Air Line Tube Pipe: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31rasv3sF6L.@@AMEPARAM@@31rasv3sF6L[/ame]
perfect.

Looks good :) You'll want to seal the ends. No need to thread a thick monofilament line down it for UK fish.

I look out for polypropylene rope (which is normally very cheap) that is something like the "Thai curry green"/"olive" polypropylene rope used by RA. Quite slim, about 4mm (3mm-6mm-ish), that is quite stiff/compact/hard/inflexible/wire-like. 3-strand (I splice loops into each end). I thought the RA green polypropylene float lines looked rather cheap/rubbishy at first but mine has stood the test of time, it has just the right properties (including cheapness) and passes the simplicity test. They are best thing I have come across so far.

BTW There is a bright yellow, braided polypropylene rope that is widely available very cheaply & comes with some diving floats - it works (it float & it is stiff) but it is bright yellow and quite thick (but light, not solid/compact). Ugly but visible to boats as well as fish :D.
yellow-polyester-rope-2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Homemade speed stringer

Having looked on DB and sites that sell speed stringers i can find no references to there dimensions i.e. length, eyehole diameter or material thickness. Therefore i have had to make a few design assumptions some more accurate than others :) i have estimated the stringers length to be approx. 30 cm in length, maybe even less than that. The eyeholes need to be big enough for a small carabiner but have been dictated by the eyelets available. Does anyone use one and could tell me how long they actually are?

Using these assumption I popped off to a local hardware store and bought a 1 m length of 8 mm aluminum tube and 2 galvanized eyelets designed for screwing into wood, (tubing picked for the eyelets available not the other way round) that would self thread into afore mentioned tube.

(pic 1)
Materials

8mm aluminum tube
2 galvanized eyelets
hacksaw (mine is crap by the way need a new one)
sandpaper/ file to clean up sharp edges
tape measure (i get a bit OCD about lengths some times so mine is exactly 30cm long)
some way of holding the pipe when threading like pliers or vice (hands no good, can’t grip tight enough)
not pictured. epoxy resin glue (JB weld for Americans ;) )

(pic 2)
Thread by brute force, a T bar and pliers is good but try not to damage your aluminum tube to much (hard work if you have a well matched pipe and thread diameters).

Or if you have one of these you could try this method i saw on Instructables a while ago.
actual significant part of all this

(pic 3)
Spread epoxy resin all over the threads of the eyelets and screw back into the tube (making sure that the eyelets line up. sorry my OCD again :) ) then using a paint brush or similar paint around the joint to make smooth so as to not tear the fish as you put it on your stringer. Remember not to touch it for 24-48 hours depending on temp.

This a link for Neptonics website showing how to set up your system with the speed stringer in it.
Spearfishing Spead Stringer

I haven’t been out spearing as yet but hope to be going out soon off the coast of east sussex and I'll report back on how well it worked if i see/ hit anything that is :)

What does anyone think?

diddavetellyou

have dry-bag will travel

Attachments

• IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 265
This is my cheap-skate way of attaching my line. Which I am looking to replace mainly due to being too short!! But here it is. It can be wrapped inside or, for a faster method, around the tube, THEN inside and pulled tight. Not fancy, but it works. Sorry for the terrible photos!

Attachments

• 1005.jpg
    1005.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 1006.jpg
    1006.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 263
Not a huge spearo but I use the 10m version of this Bungee 5m inc shark clip along with this float Inflatable "Mini Board" float
I ditch the line that comes with the float as it tangles and is a pain. Gun to bungee, bungee to float. Shoot the fish and drop the gun to kill fish. Fish on to stringer on the float and reload. Bungee is expensive but found it great last year as no tangles. 10m is loads in Irish waters and 5 would prob be ok as well.

I'm new to this but thought I'd chuck my 10p in all the same.

I have 5m of 6mm OD aquarium tube off eBay then just squirted some builders low modulus silicone up each end to seal it. Then I guess you can form an eye any way you wish, I just used some cable ties, seems fine for now. If I were doing it again, I'd put more silicone in so it fills and stiffens the whole loop including the apex where the tube wants to fold when any load is applied. Also I'd use clear silicone.

The aquarium hose was a revelation compared to the orange, vaguely floaty cord that came with my float. I went from getting tangled all the time and feeling like it was more dangerous having the float around, to virtually no tangles and hardly noticing the float being there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 281
Reactions: Mr. X
When I used to use silicone tubing I used to fold the end over to make a loop then whip it together with cord. It formed a strong loop and sealed it also. For extra security I used to seal the end before whipping, hold the end of the tube tightly with long nose pliers then just melt the end until it seals.

Reactions: Mr. X
So I found my old line was too short. I was diving in about 3.5/4 metres of water, but when a wave went over (calm, but BIG swell) my float line was pulled far too tight and it was yanking my gun back up. So here's my new set up, 10m pvc tubing, and some pvc pipe for my winder.

Attachments

• 1007.jpg
    1007.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 376
Nice job on the speed-needle diddavetellyou. The dimensions aren't critical, Rob Allen "speed-needles" are probably somewhat larger & stronger than you'd need for UK fish. Bear in mind though that it must be strong & dependable, else you risk loosing your speargun.

Have you worked out a flipper/barb mechanism to retain the fish once they get up near the float, as RA do?
pic-speed-stringer-needle.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys,
Do you not find your arm gets pulled about having the gun attached directly to the float? I understand you leave plenty of slack in the line but if the float drifts in a current or is pulled by a swell as mentioned by Reeftroll isn't it off putting?
I'm interested in changing my setup to this so want to get it right.
Cheers

It is very off putting, but this only happens when it's a depth issue. The float drags back from me, and gets pulled about by waves and current but it's not an issue at all. The only problem is when the line is directly above me and the rope can go no further. If you find the float is behind you it simply floats over as you dive. My issue was not being able to pull it over me any more and the depth exceeding my rope length

Ah I see, do you keep adjusting it to what's necessary for the depth you're diving to or just keep it set for the max depth?
I ask because I seem to dive to quite varied depths throughout the session and though my current float set up (drop weight) isn't ideal for my diving, I don't want to be forever adjusting the slack.
I'm probably worrying too much as lots of you guys do it this way so it must work!
Cheers

Well for me it goes from shallow reef straight to 4 metres or more deep very fast. So depending where I am I need to change the length, it's easy though, just wind it up. Especially with my new set up.

Cool, think I'll knock something together and give it a go. Hopefully optimise my setup by the time the fish are here in numbers.
Cheers mate

Thanks again mate,
Payday and a day off tomorrow so I think I'll get some bits n bobs together and see what I can bodge lol.
I like the idea of the swivel clip so hopefully find one of those somewhere.
Cheers

Hi guys,
Do you not find your arm gets pulled about having the gun attached directly to the float? I understand you leave plenty of slack in the line but if the float drifts in a current or is pulled by a swell as mentioned by Reeftroll isn't it off putting?
I'm interested in changing my setup to this so want to get it right.
Cheers
I usually hold the float line with my other hand, so there is about 1m of slack line to the gun. That way the float-line exerts no appreciable force on the speargun.

Nice job on the speed-needle diddavetellyou. The dimensions aren't critical, Rob Allen "speed-needles" are probably somewhat larger & stronger than you'd need for UK fish. Bear in mind though that it must be strong & dependable, else you risk loosing your speargun.

Have you worked out a flipper/barb mechanism to retain the fish once they get up near the float, as RA do?
These things aren't essential by any means, of course. I just clip my line to the float and the gun. But I've been meaning to try one for some time. Rob Allen "Speed-Needle" and "Speed-Stringer" products:
RA%20Speed%20Stringer%20With%20Needle%20Large.jpg

An alternative product ($27.98=£18.56, including the float-line, speed needle & speed stringer - float-line looks too soft though IMHO):
SCFS-01.jpg

Scuba-Choice.com > Scuba Dive Equipment & Gear > Diving Accessories : Spearfishing Fish Stringer with 72ft String

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT