• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Elios Suits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I took this picture from Elios's photo gallery and the pattern is wicked IMO.

Has anyone ordered an Elios suit with the new Black coated open cell. They told me in an email that it was as warm or more so that just open cell because it reflects heat. I don't know if this would actually be the case?

I was intent on ordering Heiwa w/ outside lined with superstretch nylon and open cell inside, but they told me that this is not available. To get superstretch nylon on the outside would need coated opencell eg. black. Has anyone else heard about this?
Thanks

Hi Feign,

I have been sent a number of samples of the neoprene offered by ELios. As mentioned the Black coating is called Black Widow. It looks exactly like opencell but just does not stick to the skin if you run it over body.

If you have any knowledge of Physics (Memo will confirm :) ) the colour black will absorb heat and not reflect it. This is the reason black suits get screwed up in summer as they absorb all the UV light which breaks down the neoprene and the glue on seams. I would order the balck widow for ease of entry and not warmth. For heat reflection go for either the gold or copper lined which look real easy to put on and will reflect heat.

I went for opencell as it adheres a lot better to body and is also cheaper :D

PS the superstretch interior is also an option but you will loose a lot of skin adherance properties which is what makes suit warm. It will be moe resistant and easier to wear though.

Yes Shane is very explanatory about the lining types. I would always go for the open cell interior if I have enough water and soap. If you are choosing a summer suit, I think opencell int. is the best choice as you could soap the suit easily without getting cold.

So what about the anti-tear lining? If I choose it as outside lining will it eleminate the need for knee patches?

Memo, I have invited Stefano from Elios to come to the forum and hope he can help us/you.

They do not use elbow pads for better arm movement, but if you are anything like me I would suggest knee pads. That extra protection is reassuring. THe chest pad also comes with a couple of options i.e reinforced with nylon underlay or just stuck on like knee pads.

I would buy 3 suits, my summer suit, my brother's suit and a suit for my lady.
For my suit I am still undecided about smoothskin or lined but other than that it will be opencell inside and 3mm. I will order a double lined suit for my bro and gf but one will be camo and 3mm and one will be 5mm.

I'm looking forward Stefano as he could make some really valuable contributions.

I'm in contact with Elios too.

I want to buy a camo suit but I'm waiting for the Sandwich type neoprene as I'm not at all sensitive and I love to do my aspettos on the rocks, well under rocks sometimes :confused:

Special offers for all Deeper blue members, sounds good...

Yes, this is my last spearfishing party with 2 friends of mine (i'm on the left by the way ;) ), I caught the biggest sea bass (4.6kg) and the small sargos. The overall weight is 11 Kgs.

Attachments

• spear.jpg
    spear.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
I finally got my order finalized today!:D

Had to re-do the measurements to make sure they were right. I have never owned a truly customized suit before and am really interested in how much of a difference it makes.

I ended up ordering two suits, one for summer and one for winter. I knew I was going to order two eventually, so I decided that I might save on shipping costs this way- which aren't cheap!

I ordered a 3mm and a 6mm opencell inside with a smoothskin outer, low density Hewia suits- per Eric's suggestions. I am going to hang onto my other suits for a while in case I think I might be beating them up too much. Fred tells me his smooth skin suits have held up just fine and I am going on his experience as well.

I also ordered a 2mm vest. I went with opencell on the inside and super-elastic on the outside- per Elios's suggestion. I guess this will make it a little easier to put on under a 6mm suit.

I decided upon the opencell as I have had both coated and opencell suits in the past and they all need to be lubed to slip them on. Since I am going to be lubing anyhow, I thought I should be as warm as possible.

A smooth skin outter will be a first and am anxious to see if it really is as fast as Tyler told me it was.:cool:

Jon

i received a highperformance suit from elios 2 weeks ago:
6mm nuovo Liscio SuperSlide esterno /Spaccato slide interno
new neoprene type Black Shadow [... è molto più lucido e scivoloso in acqua (migliora le performances)] for constant weight training in lake conditions here in Switzerland (water temp must be at around 6°C now and we just decided not to go diving tomorrow because of the snowy conditions... you know that: the changing of clothes is the hardest part)
i am very satisfied with the quality... but this type of neoprene appears to be VERY fragile! :naughty

The mailman just dropped off my suits!:D

The 6mm smooth skin/opencell looks pretty sweet, but I am a little worried abotu the 3mm. We'll just have to see how it holds up.

Since I have 3 nylon outer suits already, though not all of them fit anymore, I decided to try the opencell/smoothskin approach after reading many of the comments on here. We'll see how it does if I can get out this weekend.;)

Jon

Jon,

I have an Elios 3 mm jacket in open cell/smoothskin low density Hewia and I like it a lot. It's holding up pretty well. I spearfish in it almost every weekend. I'm strictly a bottom crawler and so far so good. I don't have the pants to go with it though but if I did, I'd definitely want knee pads on them (at the very least) if not a full nylon exterior.

Please let us know how it works out for you.

Scott

That's good to know Scott.

If I trash the pants out I still have a Picasso 3mm famerjohn that I could layer underneath it- although they are a little large right now.

What kind of pants are you wearing for your bottom crawling expedititions? ;) :confused:

Jon

Jon,

Right now my favorite ones are an old pair of OMER Professional high waist pants. These are rubber out, nylon in and since the water never really got cold down here this year (if you can call <73 degrees cold), it's nice to not have to get wet to put my pants on. The outer rubber on the Professional is pretty sturdy and so is holding up pretty well although, the knees are taking quite a beating. That's why if I ever get Elios pants I'd definitely opt for at least knee pads.

Scott

Reactions: bobbybuttr and thud
Jon- save yourself a buncho grief and glue and do what we true bottom crawlers, (note that I said bottom crawlers, NOT bottem feeders :hmm ) do and slip into an old pair of Levi's once you're all in your suit.

Having gone the smooth/smooth/smooth :cool: bit before, I went with having the guys add pads and all, but was still getting dings and nicks everywhere butt the knees...

And yeah, you purists, (and note I said purists, NOTpussies), are going to be all miffed about the total lack of hydrodynamics and the weight of the sodden cotton, but hey, the suit lasted a load of dives. :king Let the poseurs laugh until you slide the bugs into the cooler.

I still have my nylon covered suits for bottom grubbing, but I really wanted to try a smoothskin to see if it was as 'smooth' as everyone raves they are.

It certainly fits better than any other suit I have owned before, plus it's got a lot more flex in the chest area to make breathing much more relaxed.

Here's a shot of the 6mm suit.

Jon

Last edited:
Tried out the 6mm today (40 degree water for 2+ hours) and it worked great!

I couldn't believe how warm I was the entire time. The only thing that started to chill on me were my feet, which were covered with 5mm OMER socks. Maybe I should have had ELIOS make me a pair of them as well.

I never even put on the vest, and was still plenty warm, plus the hood fit so well I may no longer need my ice cap. The suit also allowed me to take deeper breaths, than my nylon outer stock wetsuits, and move swifter though the water.

All-in-all, a wonderful suit that you can't go worng with. I wish i would have bought one sooner.

jon

for all of you that have elios suits. have any of you experienced heavy wear at the crotch i have a hole made by friction on my suit. this happened after only three times i have used my suit. what a pitty i realy like elios suits but what happened has really put me off from ever geting another alios suit. a hole from friction after only three times of use is really rediculous. does any one have any remedies to stop this happening.
regards john

Reactions: bobbybuttr
I never heard of that happening before with an Elios.
My advise is first to talk with the Elios guys, they should know best.

I'm waiting for my suit to arrive sometime in April by the way. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT