• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New float board

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Absolutely fantastic mate but what you going to make us next? :)

I am working on another version that will not be self bailing and instead utilize the hollow hull for storage - accessible via a water tight door. That design will allow it to be done with less materials thus lighter in weight. Similar to the plats but a bit smaller.

I saw your post on another forum about shipping to hawaii. The cheapest is
Matson Lines = by boat it takes 3 days. Assuming you have about a half-dozen boards or so.
Best way is to take stuff to Port of Oakland. A fraction of any other carrier. Recipient must be willing
to pick up stuff in Hawaii at the Matson Terminal which is usually not a problem. Check their website.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
I am working on another version that will not be self bailing and instead utilize the hollow hull for storage - accessible via a water tight door. That design will allow it to be done with less materials thus lighter in weight. Similar to the plats but a bit smaller.

Hey ekinoderminator Hows things going with your Project ?? Been a while since we've heard anything :)

Last edited:
he updated on Spearboard a little while ago...nothing yet as far as when they will be available, but he had mentioned that he hoped it would be soon

Hey ekinoderminator Hows things going with your Project ?? Been a while since we've heard anything :)

i spoke with john the other day , its very close its down to the last couple tweaks. i cant wait to get mine ,i tried out the very first proto and it worked great (foam and glass) john got the second one, i made the first one out of way too heavy a foam . each time i see a new pic im more impressed by the work john has put into. it it is going to be a great bluewater float as well .
phil

that is awesome Phil, when you say bluewater float, you mean like a tuna board or similar float? this is going to have that kind of bouyancy and strength? even more awesome

that is awesome Phil, when you say bluewater float, you mean like a tuna board or similar float? this is going to have that kind of bouyancy and strength? even more awesome

yes it will work very well as a tuna board with the foam filled option . stand alone for smaller fish (under 150# or so) and as the last in a chain for large fish.
it would probably be fine for larger fish but i am very conservative when it comes to rating big game gear. my favorite part is the secure storage inside for flares, two way radio , etc
phil

modifications are complete - just getting prices/quotes from a few rotomolders since it has changed a bit. Here are a few details.
anewpart002.jpg

I like the floatline attachment...
anewpart004.jpg

anewpart005.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X and Spiderman
wow, looks great!!! I love the ruler on the top too, a great extra feature.

any changes to the inside?

will i be able to rivet additional things onto or into it easily like a kayak or will it be hard to secure things to it?

wow, looks great!!! I love the ruler on the top too, a great extra feature.

any changes to the inside?

will i be able to rivet additional things onto or into it easily like a kayak or will it be hard to secure things to it?

Inside is basically the same other than one threaded insert towards the back and the shaft of the eyebolt/bow eye that comes through.

It is the same material as basically any sit on top kayak so rivetting is fine but molded inserts are preferred because they are stronger and less leak prone. Is there a specific location you deem could use an insert? I'll post pics of it rigged up early next week.

I am working on a couple of little bags that would attach to the bottom of the inside and the top but those aren't really a big deal - just a little something if someone wants that.

I sourced some excellent quality stainless hardware for the harness - made by Amish - no website and they dont take plastic! but nice to deal with.

While I am happy to finally be coming to completion on this board I am very excited about a few other boards and a torpedo type float I'm developing.

Attachments

• a new part 007.jpg
    a new part 007.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 124
  • a new part 003.jpg
    a new part 003.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 109
  • a new part 006.jpg
    a new part 006.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: Don Paul
John, please know that I am just a tinkerer and the float looks great as it is , I am just prone to meddling.

what I would do to the board would be add two kayak handles to the top front so I could pull my body up onto the board to rest and have nice handles if i wanted to kick on the board to move around. the other thing i would do is add some padeyes to the inside s o Icould secure a small dry box to the inside wall to house; lic., ab card (for you left coasters), wallet, cell (maybe), snacks...

and lastly, I might want to add some sort of cleat system to the front to spool extra floatline so i could dive in varying depths.

all in all, minor mods...cant wait to get one

tell us more about this torpedo float :)

Yeah, that flag would do the trick! Super.

I know what LunkerBuster means, many of those big floats that look like miniature dinghies are designed to be used like that but I've never felt the urge to climb aboard my float. Why would you? You won't be able to see fish or promising terrain. Doesn't it mess up you fining? Personal preference I guess. Each to their own.

I'm pretty sold on the convenience and lightness of inexpensive inflatable torpedo floats - as I often walk in to fairly remote dive spots - but that 'planche' above keeps getting better & better. I am intrigued by John's torpedo float idea. I also very much like the idea of some on-board storage, I am beginning to find things hanging from my float to be a drag (literally and figuratively): the fish stringer really has to be there, at least after getting a fish (unless you have planche with inbuilt fish-box of course!:D), a crab bag - a real snag hazard. It would be good to have some secure but easy to access storage for recovered fishing gear (weights, lures, etc), crab/scallop net bag, cell-phone in an aqua-pack, compass, small water bottle, maybe a small bag of burley. The on-board storage of a second spear-gun is also a key feature; I've officially given up trying to take a second spear-gun on my inflatible torpedo float - too fiddly, too much drag and too much risk of damaging the guns (I use U-shaped polyurethane foam sleeve to protect the towed gun). Maybe a strap (diagonal, satchel style?) or handle (Baywatch-float style) to help carry it?

Last edited:
:)Looks awesome. Speargun grooves too - nice! From a practical (but not aesthetic) perspective, a higher transom might be more practical - to avoid gear loss. But I guess if you want to put fish on the deck, or want to ride atop it then I guess the design shown is the way to go - like a hard, sleeker version of the inflatables "mini dinghy"-floats by Sevylor/Best Hunter/etc.

There will be a fabric sort of cover to protect what is placed inside. The main idea with this version is to make entry through shore breaks easier. I don't see the deck being so much for fish but rather an improvement on boogie boards. The round thing in the front is for an 8" deck plate for dry storage.

newfloatboard2.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X and devondave
i have'nt posted yet but I've been watching your progression and you really are running with this concept and taking it to another level . It's amazing what us humans can do when we're passionate about something . i will look forward to all follow ups:)

Very cool. I like both designs, a lot. How do carry them - a handle/diagonal strap/backpack straps? I fold my inflatable float into a small swim-kit dive bag (£1.50 - for the premium version, from Tesco:D), which also contains all my other small pieces of kit: mask, snorkel, dive knife, fish stringer, a small water bottle, crab bag. My hands are then completely full, carrying a speargun & fins, and either a second speargun or lobster pot.

I guess, if the speargun &/or equipment could be inside or attached to the float for carrying (say as a backpack - as boogie boards usually are), it would help.

I've been thinking of something slimmer still, like a large torpedo float - a bit like Foxfish's homemade float but perhaps bigger, deeper and hollowed out - like a little boat, flat or sloping transom & with a speargun holder like your (ekinoderminator's) planche. I guess my thing with the torpedo design is (1) I often swim long distances pulling a float, so minimal drag is important (the onboard storage of the above designs should certainly help with that) and (2) I often swim around and over rocks, boulders, reefs, again the on-board storage of the above designs would help with that too, although a slim torpedo will usually pull through obstacles easier than might be expected. Need a big piece of balsa wood to carve:D.

Any idea how much the floats will be yet? Shipping to UK/EU?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT