• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New gun build

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
lol!........."ya gunna need a bigger boat!"......it is full, but its not a small shed! I nearly wet me knickers when i saw em all! I wanted to have a go with em all!rofl

Thats an amazing looking build, guns like that are built for the love and challenge of it, you couldn't pay anyone to spend those hours putting it all together. Super job Mart...really super.

BTW...I'll be on that plane with Bobdonny if you need a hand clearing that shed out :)

Thanks - I will get back on to the project soon its just that the nice weather has forced me to go fishing!

Reactions: Derekn
I just seeng your gun and I have to say Bravo !
Very well done, I know how dificult is to bild a composit gun and specialy vhen not use a vacum. Can you tell what is the waegth of the gun?

Here in Greece there is on the market many gut triger mec.I find a exelent the ":Mithos" and "Menadros" series. :)
Μηχανισμοί Σκανδάλης --- diveshop.gr

Thanks yavorsub, the gun is 100cm from tip to tip.
diveshop is where I bought the trigger :)
Re the guns progress - well I have done a little more & redesigned the trigger linkage.
I will post some pics soon.

Still working on the gun although summer has slowed the process down .....

Attachments

• c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 262
  • c5.jpg
    c5.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 252
  • c3.jpg
    c3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 252
  • c4.jpg
    c4.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: Mr. X and spaghetti
Well yes but certainly not perfect!
Carbon is not very forgiving to work with & things like scratches are not easy to cover up when the material is so thin to start with.
I have made the handle easily removable so I could build another handle to fit in the more conventional place at the rear of the gun!
It makes sense to make a rear handle too but, a bit daunting to start all over again with another handle.
Here is a little more detail ...
c6-1.jpg

c7-1.jpg

Yes just one band & a 6.5 mm spear.
I have tried several lengths & diameter spears, the gun floats even with a 7mm spear fitted but is slightly muzzle heavy.
The only way I can fine tune the muzzle is by adjusting the spear length however most carbon Euro guns sink with the spear loaded anyway so it looks pretty promising.
To get the perfect balance I will add a little weight in the rear of the gun & if necessary a cut down spear.

Reactions: Salehthefish
Yes just one band & a 6.5 mm spear.
I have tried several lengths & diameter spears, the gun floats even with a 7mm spear fitted but is slightly muzzle heavy.
The only way I can fine tune the muzzle is by adjusting the spear length however most carbon Euro guns sink with the spear loaded anyway so it looks pretty promising.
To get the perfect balance I will add a little weight in the rear of the gun & if necessary a cut down spear.

Let's try it with a 115x6,5 Omer America spear, single flopper and cone, plus a single set of twin bands Alemanni L400/18 stretch factor 350. With a single set of rubbers you'll need some serious rubber. But with Alemanni's it's gonna shoot like a laser. KA-BOOM! :martial

I have only one personal perplexity about the hand grip. How do you take a grip on the gun? Do you have to keep your thumb low, or can you insert the thumb in the corner between the barrel and the connection bar?

The linkage is not an issue unless you have very big hands but that was one reason I had to redesign the handle as the first one was not very comfortable.
I have started some work on the rear handle, unfortunately it is raining very hard today & in my unheated shed this type of damp weather is not good for epoxy working.

Foxfish -I'm seen how you can easiely solve the problem with a triger link-just put a half pipe on the bottom of the gun and put in a metal string to give the mouvment. ;)

On this way there will have inaf space for the hand.

Looking good foxfish! I saw the very beginning of this thread when I was down in NZ and I cant believe what it has turned into. That is something to be proud of. Can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks although I have had a few problems!
I decided to spray the gun with a polyurethane lacquer, the product is one I use quite often to coat wood. The clear lacquer went on really well & I put the gun away in my airing cupboard to cure, when I next looked at the gun everything looked very shiny & nice however when I stated handling the gun i notices some imperfections in the finish.
I picked at a bit of a bubble & before I new it half the lacquer had lifted!!
To be honest I was so disheartened I have left the gun alone for the time being...

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
polyutrthane frequently fails to bond to resin especially if the resin is very smooth and or glossy, also moisture can be a real bugger when dealing with resin/plastics and poly lacquers. also you would be surprised how much mold release stays on the resin! and a wax based mold release will really, REALLY f-up the bond of a lacquer.

your gun is way to cool to get hung up by such a thing! pick off as much of the lacquer as possible (sanding off any remnents) wash down the whole thing with a mild detergent (good old fairy works great) dry thoroughly, a light sanding down with very fine sand paper is recomended but not absolutely necasary, keep the gun somewhere warm and dry for a day or two (to remove excess moisture and ensure the guns temp is warm and even all the way through) and try again...

sorry if i am teaching your gran to suck eggs, just want to get your fine project up and running again!

D

Foxy, :inlove
I'm sorry for the accident, and I hope you won't give up after all the passion, commitment, talent, efforts, time, money and loving care you invested in the project.

If you are so disheartened (which is understandable) you could just drop it for a while and resume when you feel you're ready to it again.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT