• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Guns in the works

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A euro trigger is designed to trap the top of the shaft against the top of the trigger housing. An American trigger is designed to hold against the notch in line with the shaft. The forces are 90 degrees apart. So what the half moon notch is doing is transferring the force upwards away from the direction the trigger was designed to hold. The sear of a euro trigger is rounded to fit into that notch- large surface area contact. The sharp angle of Steve's sear will have a high pressure contact there, not ideal by a long shot. $100? Buy a new one mate, trust me, I'm on your side really :)

Me too.

Its simple dude, the guy that makes the trig mech doesn't recommend it for Euro shafts- Period. Really no room for arguement, I can understand the $100 shaft investment, but thats a small price to pay for a misfire on a trophy fish of a lifetime, or G-d forbid another spearo. Aside from Pastor's excellent points, the long term effects of your shaft modifications are unbeknoweth (you like that Pastorrofl) so that at any given time an accident can occur...just our 2 centavos, at the end it boils down to your comfort level with the situation, we're just here to provide our 2 centavos, is all.

First of all, The "modification" to the shaft was almost non-existent. Nothing was even touched that would have any effect whatsoever on the integrity of the spear, or the mechanically interacting parts of the spear, so that is really a non-issue. I understand the points you made pastor, and I see the problem, but the way I see it is that this trigger is tested way beyond what it is ever expected to hold, and the force upward (from the curved part of the spear, onto the top of trigger mech) would really translate into the same direction as the force from an american shaft due to the normal force of the spear on the sear (gotta watch the p's in this writing) which, because of the pivot point of the sear, will act in an indistinguishable way from the american spear on the trigger-sear interface (which is what controls the release of the shaft!). Both spears (with rubbers on them) will produce a torque in the same direction; it's just a matter of the manner in which that force is put onto the sear and spear (in the american: on the 90 degree notch and on the euro: on one sharp point in the curve of the spear and on the "roof" of the trigger mech). I understand your points, and thank you for your concern, but I am going to stick with this arrangement. I'll take responsibility for my own actions (I'm sure you guys think this is safer than the homemade trigger I was originally planning).

Does this show the problem better? Sorry it's a bit crude

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: foxfish
i know that some euro shafts lock into the mech but like others already said it wasn't designed to hold that type of shaft. no need to spend 100 for a new shaft, ray odor makes great shafts for 40 and i think you will find that they are much better than most euros on the market.

i think the south african shafts are the best "euros" out there, far superior than most european versions but american made steel is simply better (stiffer). please don't misunderstand this, i'm not trying to start a euro vs american debate, simply said, as someone that sees many different shafts i feel comfortable making this statement.

all you have to do is look at last years hawaiian skin divers tests of euro guns, the gun that was the most accurate was the hammerhead evolution. the biggest difference between this gun and the rest was, i believe, was the shaft (kevin might suggest the muzzles and bands had something to do with it too) which is made by hh in california using american 17-4ph steel.

your safety and those around you is my primary concern but aside from that the gun might benefit from a better shaft. i think it will shoot better with a ray odor shaft that not only was designed to work with the mech but also is capable of handling the stress of multi bands better than a shaft that was designed to be shot from a euro gun with one band. simply said, thicker/stiffer american shafts wont flex as much as thinner/softer euros under a heavier power loads and will be much more accurate. i think eventually you will come to this conclusion yourself but until you do you are on your own.

steve

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT