• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Famed Magician In Freediving World Record Stunt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Didn't anybody like the little poem at the end of my Part VI ? I tried so hard to warm, fuzzy and artistic. **sigh**

Perhaps your iambic pentameter's a bit rusty - probably all that salt water!

efattah said:
Actually, Sebastien Murat's incredible new technique involves 100% use of fear, shock and adrenalin, to induce a massive and profound shock/vasoconstriction, resulting in truly amazing performances.

This could be a tremendously successful approach. First thing the instructor does is kidnap your family - maybe detonate the cat in front of the children to drive home the point. '80 meters or I start pruning your daughter's fingers! NOW!!'

I stand by the vacation model though.

Paul,

During my misspent youth (as they say) I bet a friend of mine we could get dates by sitting on a rock in a little sitting area downtown, and cawing like a crow.

It worked

So it is with fame and fortune.

and warm fuzziness

Last edited:
It looks to me like it were a confrontation by a man alone, and the power, intended the power of television, that's a derivative of the power of the first fabric industries, in England, in the half of 19th Century.

I'm confident the man will get out successfully, because our body, as a system, is powerful more than it is the display of a simple muscular force multiplied by zeros, that was an important achievement, but now that is also a limit.

cloudwalker_3 said:
I've been reading the the regular news on David Blaine's stunt and, (like a lot of what he does...) the whole thing leaves me feeling slightly sick.

.......... So what? Millions of children starve every day, but of course because they're not media savvy American personalities, no one bothers to film them.

It does tell us a little about him of course. Basically he's a showman, in the true style of lots of Americans before him. It's not about wonder, beauty and fragility. It's about money, spectacle and exploitation. He's not doing it because he want to experience the wonder of swimming with fishes without breathing. He's doing it simply to make a whole pile of money.

.......................The tragedy of the whole thing is that all over the world television companies are moving away from quality broadcasting towards this kind of quick fix gimmicky TV is the real loser is us.

I agree with much of your attitude and deplore the vacant lizard-brain mentality you are talking about, but suggest looking at a UK tabloid for a bit of a reality check in regard to your finger-pointing. Americans are not the only people on this path, and many are not: specifically many DB members you are addressing. Blanket statements about a people are not helpful and only serve to intimidate individuals who don't fit into your assessment, which is fine if that's your agenda.....but not here on DB.
Go anywhere in the world and you will see the lack of true substance you're speaking about, overt or covert, waiting for it's opportunity.
Peace,
Erik Y.

I do know that fear works on seals (as far as I've read)... if they are attacked or pursued, their heart rate drops and they dive as opposed to our reaction... correct? Anyone?
Peace,
Erik Y.

I suppose David Blaine was aware when he decided to start this mess up. At his risk. Television system is able to say that everybody is stupid and need to get stupid things. I'm sorry, but I was one of the television prominent workers for almost twenty years, so when I speak of television, I think to be allowed to say what I know. It's a bottleneck. Sorry Erik, it's not in my agenda to shift the readers from here to some other where, it's I'm building a new world flat and where everybody is the center of stage, and I may only regret to see that there's too many people around thinking that to get a center of stage is the ultimate thing.

Besides, I'm really close with David Blaine, because he's really trying to do something precious for us all. I'm sure he would have done this without televisions or other supporters anyway, it's a check about what we may be, a check about our limits. I curse because past year I was able to hold my breath for five and twentithree and now I'm down to some miserable three minutes, I don't know why.

Do you guy's think we may find David Blaine cruising around these forums after his stunt is over?

He's certainly familiar with Deeperblue and the sport. Also, from what's reported, he doesn't have a half bad static time. I wonder if he'll stick with it, at least on some level, after he's recovered from the plastic bubble.

Thoughts?

~JMP

No offense - but I don't imagine what it is David could be doing for all of us - other than some entertainment. He is not extending the limits of human possibility in any meaningful way.

He is doing his own exploration - and - getting paid for it. He's obviously interested in what he does for it's own sake - which is great.

From where I sit it doesn't begin to touch Martin going 108 meters down on breath and fins - and one of the big - again in my opinion - errors I've seen in this thread - starting with the title - is equating what Blaine is doing with what Martin, Mandy, Eric F and others do. It only intersects briefly - and only at the surface.

It does have an element of the archetypal 'shaman's journey'. And I look forward to reading what he has to say about the experience - since being underwater is one of my favorite things too.

Where the achievement drops off - the show biz kicks in. The act as a whole is a fabric made of both.

(allmost forgot - I am an American and I know what you mean (everybody:) )

Last edited:
trux said:
Ft. Lauderdale is where Martin Stepanek currently lives. His old record was 8:06, and although I do not exclude he did more in training, I never heard such claim. In contrary the static apnea record holder Tom Sietas, already did several standard apneas over 9 and even over 10 minutes. The 10+ minute PB was set in training. His 9:24 static apnea in Vancouver on August 11, 2004 was not recognized as record, because shortly after surfacing he briefly touched his couch (or was touched by him?). However, Blaine's record should be compared to Tom Sieta's Guinness record of 15+ minutes that he did after breathing oxygen on a TV show, and definitely not to records made with surface atmospheric breath-up.

I read it in Florida Scuba Times several years ago so could be mistaken.

It would be nice if somebody being able to whatch the ABC special would keep us updated from time to time...

thanx

Thanx satyama

is he doing breathing exercises while still in the sphere or is he alrady out of it?

Martin Stepanek was interviewed. Looks like we can put some faces with names tonight.

He's still in the sphere; these are just the initial exercises, it seems. The spectacle's going to last a couple of hours (we're a half hour into it). They're mostly doing interviews with his trainer, physician, etc; some flashbacks to his "street magician" days etc.

Think what you want about the guy. I have to give him high marks for entertainment. Not just for tonights event but everything he does.

Martin, I like the shaggy hair.

Edit
+++

Anyone see a little samba on that 5 min hold?

More importantly, what was that about nightmares? I've only ever had good daydreams while holding.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT