• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

[News] Famed Magician In Freediving World Record Stunt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Part of his training included spending time in a tank full of sharks....interesting...could this be related to a technique you earlier made reference to, Eric? Get the adrenaline going....

Being wrapped in chains now...

Last edited:
Those of you watching the show - why not pop into the chat room and we can talk "live"

Well, he didn't quite make it. Blackout around 7 minutes. Still amazing. This was the real deal. I have a ton of respect for this guy now. Class act.

Erik said:
I agree with much of your attitude and deplore the vacant lizard-brain mentality you are talking about, but suggest looking at a UK tabloid for a bit of a reality check in regard to your finger-pointing. Americans are not the only people on this path, and many are not: specifically many DB members you are addressing. Blanket statements about a people are not helpful and only serve to intimidate individuals who don't fit into your assessment, which is fine if that's your agenda.....but not here on DB.
Go anywhere in the world and you will see the lack of true substance you're speaking about, overt or covert, waiting for it's opportunity.
Peace,
Erik Y.

Whilst I totally accept and agree with your point about the fact that not all Americans are on the path to a dumbed down media and society, the specific American that I was talking about in the context of this discussion, (eg, Mr. Blaine) is helping to bring this about in conjunction with the American media companies. I'm well aware that it doesn't apply to everyone in the United States as individuals, but if you start to consider it as a society, then it's true.

I apologise to anyone who felt I was specifically pointing a finger at them, (with the exception of Mr. Blaine). I wasn't. I'm pointing the finger at the faceless ratings driven American media companies who produce spectacles for a general public that needs constant sensationalism.

In terms of the reality check: you're totally right that here in the UK we have an appallingly stupid and tasteless tabloid press, but I was talking about broadcasting not publishing and therefore, given that the dumbing down is generally being driven by American TV drivel, the point stands.

As far as going anywhere in the world goes, sorry but I just don't accept that this process is being driven, (generally speaking) by the majority of the world's media. True it is happening around the world, as society is changing. Where's the trigger for this change? America. It exerts it's influence all over the place, and whilst these seeds of change are later taken up by the natives, (eg, the British tabloid press) this doesn't absolve American society of it's responsibility.

Reactions: Erik
So folks - it's all over. David did 7min 08secs, had a blackout and was rescued by Martin Stepanek and Mandy-Rae Cruickshank.

What are our thoughts on the event?

Stephan Whelan said:
So folks - it's all over. David did 7min 08secs, had a blackout and was rescued by Martin Stepanek and Mandy-Rae Cruickshank.

What are our thoughts on the event?

I'm really in the middle. Not sure what to make of it exactly. I admire what he tried to do but disgusted in how it was portrayed. Specifically the Audrey part.

On the technical side take away the extreme length of immersion, chains, thousands of screaming people, all the associated stress, and who knows? Maybe he could have done 10. He bit off more than he could chew this time.

Well done - the PFD team was stunning. To them - it simply could not have been better! Perfect.

David did well. Some insights into what is going on with him - which I'll refrain from.

It did play out precisely as I thought it would - but without seeming overly contrived.

Very positive overall impression. I cannot really object to Blaine's use of the phenomena he is harnessing - it is a much better return on the investment of attention he so skillfully engages than most of what runs in that stream.

Last edited:
Wow. Funny how I just found out about Performance FreeDiving a few days ago looking for a class and now I get a preview of them on live (-3hrs) TV. Got a demonstration of "packing" and rescue techniques.

I'm planning to NOT blackout in the class next month!

Jim

I was impressed and the guy just became a Stallion in my book. It looked to me like the chains did him in. I was waiting for Martin to do nine supporting him, what a man!

I personally think that this attemt was completely legit. I kinda expected it to be faked, but i really dont think it was. This is kinda off topic, but i thought the underwater shots of him standing on the bottom and walking, and the shot of him sitting on the rock with the fish right behind him were awesome.

Excellent professional job by PFI group. 7:08 is a pretty crazy static from a guy who just came into the sport months ago. I was quite impressed.

Last edited:
Hi all,

David didn't break the record but I think he did a really good job considering his situation. 7:08 is pretty amazing. The PFI team was awesome! man I wish I could take one of their courses.

This was fun. I spent the live show time standing in the VIP area, chatting with the others. The little lady next to me turned out to be a very famous movie actress, who I'd chatted with a few days earlier. I'd never heard of her the first time ( somebody else told me who she was) and didn't recognize her this time. Apparently there were lots of big shots there - I wish I knew who they were. Is there some way to study up on this stuff ? How is it everybody else knows who these people are ??

Reactions: feign
Great job Paul on your coverage of the event. I enjoyed reading the daily articles. I really felt like we had the inside scoop here at deeperblue.

lee

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT