• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Nice Cipa Open 2005

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Francois,

BIG BIG BIG THANK YOU´S for the competition!!!
Once again it was a pleasure to be in Nice. Very relaxed and alot of nice people.
I´ll defenately be back!

Thanks to all of you who are sending congrats! It really makes me happy to see that so many are following me.

Thanks...

Peter P

Reactions: naiad
missing it already.. hey francois will you have me back for a weekend? thinking of 8/9/10 July or 5/6/7 august - anyone else coming?? got to get some more deep blue sea...

sam

This summer we are diving everyday...from the 4th of july to the end of september.

You are all welcome.
Until then, dive safe....

:)
O
O
O
O
o
o
o
°
°
°

Francois Gautier - CIPA - NICE
bzugo80@yahoo.fr
00 33 6 60 20 92 15

Hi Guys,
sounds like a great competition. One question, was the competition using the new AIDA rules or the old ones ?
ie were neckweights, goggles etc allowed ?
LMC or new surface protocol ?

I just went to a competition in Hawaii, they used the new rules with one exception. On the day before the competition started the USA AIDA board decided to go against the newly voted rule regarding LMC's. So we had to compete with the new surface protocol, mask off, signal ok, verbal "I am OK" in that order PLUS you were still DQ'd for a LMC, even very minor ones. So the situation was that there were valid perfomances according to International AIDA rules, that were invalid by USAA rules :p
Two people also did clearly clean perfomances, but got DQ'd for getting the (signal/verbal) order wrong, one was overturned.

I don't know if the new rules regarding LMC's are better or not. The danger I see is that if some countries choose to go against the AIDA International rules and not allow LMC's then you can no longer compare performances. ie the WR list will now contain valid performances with LMC's, whilst others are DQ'd and do not make it on the list at all.

With the new rules it was nice to be able to use a neckweight for constant. I have always suffered from being really unstable and falling sideways whilst gliding with a monofin, the neckweight really helps for this.

Cheers,
Wal

Last edited:
CAFA is following USAA and 'going against' the new rules.

The problem here is that if an AIDA national doesn't use the exact AIDA rules, then what is an AIDA national? It no longer has anything to do with AIDA, because all AIDA represents is regulations.

For example, what stops a national organization from using F.R.E.E. rules and then calling itself the AIDA national for a certain country? If the AIDA national is not bound by AIDA rules, then why not?

What stops an AIDA national from accepting blackouts during performances? If AIDA nationals can use any rules they like, then why not?

In my opinion, if an AIDA 'national' organization uses anything except the exact AIDA rules, then they should be immediately blacklisted by AIDA.

What bothers me even more is that the people who are going against the rules are the same people who previously bragged about the democratic nature of AIDA and the power of democracy. Yet, when the democratic process comes up with something they don't like, they simple go against it and make their own rules.

There are further complications. To qualify for the AIDA worlds, you need to register a minimum performance, which must be done in an AIDA competition.

So what happens if Joe Bloggs does 55m at the Kona USAA competition, with a good recovery under AIDA rules, but he is DQ'd by the Kona judges under USAA rules. Now, in the results of the competition, he DOES NOT make it onto the AIDA ranking, therefore he FAILS TO QUALIFY for the AIDA worlds, even though he did the exact same performance which some other guy did to qualify for worlds. So what use then does such a competition have? It surely has no use as a qualifier for worlds.

i think making people recover in a particular order is a silly idea. it can be easy to do things in the wrong order when you're feeling stressed or forgetful. it doesn't mean that you're having a samba. demanding that people say the exact phrase "I am OK" seems even more ridiculous to me. thankfully i choose not to particpate in competitive freediving so this stuff doesn't affect me personally, but i would still like competitions to have decent rules.

Francois / CIPA:

I really enjoyed your well planned competition!!

I think all the Swedes can say the same.

This discussion about the AIDA rules deserves a new [ame=http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=544804#post544804]thread[/ame] . It has nothing to do with the CIPA competition anymore...

Last edited:
Walrus said:
One question, was the competition using the new AIDA rules or the old ones ?
ie were neckweights, goggles etc allowed ?

...................................................................................

With the new rules it was nice to be able to use a neckweight for constant. I have always suffered from being really unstable and falling sideways whilst gliding with a monofin, the neckweight really helps for this.
I did my - very modest - CWT (28 m announced, 26 m done because of my ear aching...) with following weighting :

2 kg weightbelt

1 kg neckweight (2 ankle weights - 0.500 kg each - tied together)

5 mm wetsuit...

2 minutes before my dive (my first one in comp !) François asked me what I had around my neck adding to the stress of the preparation...

I asked him : do you think it is too heavy ? he then answered it was just for teasing me...

My feeling is that - maybe - my neckweight helped me doing a more proper duckdive and sink more quickly head first ; according to my Suunto D3

first second : 3.30 m
fifth second : 7 m !

the whole dive (26 m reached) in 54 seconds...
I have to say that in such a weighting configuration, I am unable to swim horizontally face down because of my fins flapping in the air ; if I want after my constant weight dive swim around in surface, I just untie my neck weight and tie the ankle weights to the places where they belong : to the ankles, in order to sink a little bit the fins...

The day before I had trained with two additional ankle weights (2 X 0.500 kg) tied at the ankles... but at 25 m depth, I felt very heavy... and put them off...

I felt very OK during the descent ;

at 25 m I folded my neck to look at the target and I felt a sudden aching at my right ear ; I then pulled the rope and ascended with no problem...

francois said:
This summer we are diving everyday...from the 4th of july to the end of september.

You are all welcome.
Until then, dive safe....

Francois Gautier - CIPA - NICE
bzugo80@yahoo.fr
00 33 6 60 20 92 15

I envisage to be in Nice from the 15th to the 21st of July ;

can you give me the schedules of the dives organized by the CIPA ?

(as far as I understood departure every day at 5 PM ? on Saturdays and Sundays deparure at about 9 PM ?)

What are the conditions ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT