• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

North Wales ,The Llyn and Anglesey 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Everyone

I'm getting back into spearing again after a long time out of the water (about 3 years!) and I'm looking to take a few trips to Anglesey and Llyn in August and September and wondered if anybody would like to buddy up?

I'm based in Leeds and travel to north wales for fishing, although does anybody know much about the East Yorkshire coast, around Filey and Whitby?

Thanks

Hi Graham I'm based in Leeds and Manchester so happy to buddy up some time.

Hi Matt, great stuff!! I will be taking some much deserved time off work so we can liaise as to where and when. Have you done much diving on the East York coast?

Graham there is a group on Facebook NE spears which is mainly Whitley Bay Area I think but you may get info there.

Daf and I were down this week at Daf's cottage. More of a social occasion but we scheduled a dip at the end of the week - unfortunately by that time, the wind had done it's work and the offshore swell was fearsome with whitecaps as far as we could see.

We'd befriended an old boy during the week who'd given us the location of a "secret" unmarked offshore wreck, South of Pwllheli harbour that he swore was a goldmine of big bass, pollock and massive lobster; it sounded strongly like a fisherman's tale but we noted it down all the same. Although highly skeptical, on Friday, after finding the inshore viz absolutely trashed and with no other real options, we headed out to the location he gave us. Nothing looked positive, no lobster pots and nothing on the sounder, which showed flat a featureless bottom, some test dives produced only empty sand and gravel. After 45 minutes of searching, we gave up and headed for home. Not one minute into our journey and suddenly a large lump appeared on the screen; there she was, sitting in 14 meters of water exactly as described.

After the initial excitement, it soon transpired that the promise of monster bass and pollock was not to be; dive after dive produced nothing but micro-pollock and bait fish. Hoping to save a blank and remembering old lad's promise of big lobbies we went ferreting in the wreckage...

Everywhere we looked were claws and antennae were poking out at us. Not just small lobsters but huge, monstrous lobsters. I know Daf and I have mentioned that we've got some good lobster spots on the Llyn but this was something else. We collected 6 or 7 beasts of various sizes and returned to the boat to assess... The photos and video don't do them justice at all.

IMG_0894.JPG.jpeg

daf.jpg

big-lobby-1.jpg

This is the biggest lobster we've ever seen, the claws were considerably bigger than my hand.

After consideration, we had to send the big ones back to the deep, they were just too impressive to take home. Who knows how old they were.

Actually, we kept one big one... After reading lots on here about cooking lobster, we simmered it, along with some small ones very gently in salty water - 7 mins for the big one, 5 mins for the small ones - let them cool and removed the shells, simmered them in butter for about 2 minutes then served them with lemon squeezed on top - I've never loved lobster before but this was amazing.

IMG_0900.JPG.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice write up Bro and thanks for a great day!

I have seen more shoals of schoolies this year than the passed few seasons which, I hope, is a sign of potential recovery?

Reactions: Broseidon
Nice one guys!, I have been out quite a bit over the last few months but all on Anglesey, Bass about in huge numbers but again not many sizable fish. Great to see and as you say good for the future. That wreck sounds amazing! any idea what it was? That location should hold some bream as well, take it you tried some long hangs? Interesting stuff! Get in touch when you are over if you fancy a catch up? Dave

Well Done Bros, we don't often see big lobsters close to shore where I live, not for the last 15 years anyway.
We do have a monster potting community though, almost no restrictions on anyone who wants to set 5000 pots & some do!
The latest issue revolving around the massive amount of pots is the huge decline in Wrasse that the potters love to use as bait!

As an addendum to my earlier post and really just a word of warning to be careful when hunting lobbys. I've caught loads of lobsters over the years and have only once had a little nip on the forearm which the neoprene deflected - it's easy to get complacent. Last week I got a nip on the thumb from a really small lobster, I was just popping it in the catch bag and it got me through the bag. Repeat, this was a really small lobster! It split the skin on the right hand side of my nail and really busted up my nail - hurt like hell for a couple of days. When I took off my glove in the water, there was a lot of blood.

Good to have a gentle reminder that these things are really powerful creatures. This is what it looks like nearly a week later.

lobby-chomp.jpg

Reactions: sewin
Nice one guys!, I have been out quite a bit over the last few months but all on Anglesey, Bass about in huge numbers but again not many sizable fish. Great to see and as you say good for the future. That wreck sounds amazing! any idea what it was? That location should hold some bream as well, take it you tried some long hangs? Interesting stuff! Get in touch when you are over if you fancy a catch up? Dave

Hi Dave, Daf and I were chatting about you the other day - nice to see you're still about. I'm up on the Llyn every 7 - 10 days or so. Being an unemployed layabout, I have loads of free time. If you fancy a dive some time, just drop me a PM. I've got a boat in Pwllheli.

Well Done Bros, we don't often see big lobsters close to shore where I live, not for the last 15 years anyway.
We do have a monster potting community though, almost no restrictions on anyone who wants to set 5000 pots & some do!
The latest issue revolving around the massive amount of pots is the huge decline in Wrasse that the potters love to use as bait!

Thanks mate, it was a good day! Potting is relatively intensive where we are, the main factor is that on the South Llyn, there are very few actual rocky outcrops that hold crustaceans - it's almost all flat gravel and sands - those small pockets that do are always strewn in pots. We've always been really surprised with the size of the wrasse there, I'm not sure they'd fit in most pots. Always a few congers in the holes as well.

The number of prawns is what is really impressive - they are everywhere. I've got a proper commercial prawn creel, I need to get it in the water soon!

Hello everyone,

Im a Spanish spearo that relocated a few years ago to the UK. Finally (after 5 years!!) I have been able to pick up the sport again. I live in Manchester and am planning a trip with a friend to somewhere in North Wales (not sure where, and wont ask for advice, I know everyone has their own little gems...).

If you woudnt mind terribly, I am asking for a bit of guidance regarding regulations. Do you know where I could find some information?

From what I can gather, there is something going on with bass fishing, but not sure when the capture of bass is allowed or not, and what the legal sizes are.

I have seen some really nice photos of shellfish, but Im not sure if their capture is allowed either. I have seen something regarding Permit B30? Is this applicable to us?

In short, any help would be very welcome, as you can see i am a bit lost. Also wouldnt mind company for future outings!

Thanks in advance!

Hello Everyone,

I've been diving around the Anglesey and the north lleyn coasts most of the summer and wanted to dive this weekend maybe find some shellfish. The wind seems a bit all over the place, but I'm thinking the south lleyn might be best option in the hope of seeing anything.

How long will the water take to clear? or is that how long is a piece of string type of thing?

thanks

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody knows if there is any restrictions to spearfish around Bardsey Island, I’m aware of the dangers of the waters there, have snorkled there many a time

Your help/advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Dafydd

I dont know Daf never been myself, always wanted to have a look around there, whats the location like to snorkel?

I dont know Daf never been myself, always wanted to have a look around there, whats the location like to snorkel?
It has good visibility and a good range of sea beds, another plus is in most slightly rougher conditions you can find sheltered spots. However some parts are next to impossible to swim in unless you fancy drifting over to Ireland...

It has good visibility and a good range of sea beds, another plus is in most slightly rougher conditions you can find sheltered spots. However some parts are next to impossible to swim in unless you fancy drifting over to Ireland...

I’ve always been interested to try a drift dive in the sound. Obviously with good boat support. Always caught big pollock and mackerel there line fishing from a boat when I was younger. Not sure how easy it would be to dive in the current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always been interested to try a drift dive in the sound. Obviously with good boat support. Always caught big pollock and mackerel there line fishing from a boat when I was younger. Not sure how easy it would be to dive in the current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d imagine that would be succesful depending on tide and weather condition, which can be difficult to get in the sound but possibly on a neap and a short time before slack water would be relatively less nackering

Hi my name is Rick and I'm new to spear fishing and have a caravan in phwelli,. wondered how to go about meeting fellow spear fishers in my area.

Thanks in advance

your not trying to pick anyone up are ya......you know entice us with the caravan/boudoir an all that

Reactions: denian
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT