• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Now I know we all love pizza . . .

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
In a day when every middle class family had servants and probably a professional cook, I'll bet that thing saw a lot of use, though I wonder about the lack of soot inside. Weren't the ovens all coal fired in Victorian days?
I doubt these houses had servants, they are former farm-workers' cottages - their ovens would have been used by the family.

Re. lack of sorching/soot, I too wondered about that. You might think that the ovens had never been used. However, I spoke to the guy who uncovered our oven and he said he removed a huge amount of old ash (wheel-barrows full) from the ash pit directly below i.e. it had been well used. Perhaps the wood-ash keeps the bricks clean (I used white ash to clean the glass in my woodburner - surprisingly effective), perhaps they scrubbed or swabbed the inside of the oven, or perhaps they had some other trick?

But . . . but Bill, the photo didn't come through! And I was so hoping, too. Keep experimenting with that pizza steel. It's got me intrigued.

I guess I forgot.

Attachments

• pizzabroilersteel.jpg
    pizzabroilersteel.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 239
Actually, it looks pretty authentic. Innnteresting!

It does look like the real thing. It was just a bit too hard charred in places on the top and not quite brown enough on the bottom.

I guess my choices are to put the pizza on a lower rack or wait until its been in the oven for a minute or two before turning on the broiler.

AIR, the instructions online do say to put the steel on the lowest rack in the oven. Good for a try . . .

Ah, now I understand. You were trying to reproduce the 'true' Neopolitan pizza. Tough. I'm really appalled at the temperatures those ovens get to. A thousand degrees Fahrenheit? Phew! I bake Naan (Indian style tandoori bread) in my broiler and it comes out better than our favorite Indian Restaurant's version, if I may brag just a bit. But enough heat to make a pizza? I don't think you can do that with any oven that city code would allow indoors. And I for one am 'way too lazy to build my own in the back yard.

My pizza last night. Tomato sauce, mozzarella, capers, Kalamata olives, and anchovies on the Neo-Neapolitan dough from Peter Reinhart's "American Pie."

But its not the toping that is the story- its the method. I think I finally have my system down, at least for my oven. Place baking steel on second shelf from top, preheat on bake at 550° for 45 minutes, then switch oven to broil when pie goes in. Perfect balance of top and bottom done-ness.

Attachments

• pizza 3:3:13.jpg
    pizza 3:3:13.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 245
Aha! So then, those of us who have separate broilers and ovens must need an infrared thermometer to tell when the plate, put up near the top of the broiler is at 500-550. When it is, slide in the pizza and voila' or whatever the equivalent in Italian is. How far from the broiler flame is the second-from-the-top rack in your oven, Bill? That's the only missing factor, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aha! So then, those of us who have separate broilers and ovens must need an infrared thermometer to tell when the plate, put up near the top of the broiler is at 500-550. When it is, slide in the pizza and voila' or whatever the equivalent in Italian is. How far from the broiler flame is the second-from-the-top rack in your oven, Bill? That's the only missing factor, I think.

The rack is 6.5" from the broiler, but I'm not sure I'm following you. If you have separate broiler and oven, how can you preheat on bake and then finish with the broiler?

No, I'm thinking of just putting the plate in the broiler and bringing it up to temp and then sliding the pizza onto the hot plate and letting the broiler finish it off. Would work?

No, I'm thinking of just putting the plate in the broiler and bringing it up to temp and then sliding the pizza onto the hot plate and letting the broiler finish it off. Would work?

One source said it worked, but it didn't work for me. The bottom of the crust was underdone while the top was getting overdone.

Hmmm . . . Well, that's another thing to add to my list of experiments-to-do. Thanx.

Hmmm . . . Well, that's another thing to add to my list of experiments-to-do. Thanx.

Try it out. Maybe it would work in your oven. BTW, it was this month's Saveur magazine that said to do it that way, with just the broiler. And they seemed to be talking about a stone vs. the steel. They said to put the stone 3 inches from the broiler and preheat 30 minutes. Maybe it works better with the stone.

Last edited:
What does NOT work is leaving the shrink wrap ion the pizza and sliding under the broiler....:duh

Try it out. Maybe it would work in your oven. BTW, it was this month's Saveur magazine that said to do it that way, with just the broiler. And they seemed to be talking about a stone vs. the steel. They said to put the stone 3 inches from the broiler and preheat 30 minutes. Maybe it works better with the stone.

Really? I haven't bought the steel yet, but I do have a stone. This bears investigation.

I'm sure that is better than nothing... But for ultimate pizza... Put dough in frying pan, put toppings on the put it under the grill (ye guys call broiler I think) to brown cheese and raise crust. When ready, take pan out and put it on hot heat (I use gas ring) to proper cook the base and get some nice charred bits.... Closest thing to a wood fired oven!

I'm sure that is better than nothing... But for ultimate pizza... Put dough in frying pan, put toppings on the put it under the grill (ye guys call broiler I think) to brown cheese and raise crust. When ready, take pan out and put it on hot heat (I use gas ring) to proper cook the base and get some nice charred bits.... Closest thing to a wood fired oven!

fecckit.... Might so one for breakfast!

Sounds like it would work, but my pizzas ate to big to fit in any frying pan that I've seen. I guess I could make them smaller, but then I'd have to make too many.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT