• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Objects found while freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I found a lemon zester, Rope_tech needed one so it all worked out. Only a couple barnacles! He said it cleaned up well... And various scuba fins. I wonder how they lose them sometimes.

I found a complete scuba diving kit which included just like a mask and snorkel, Regulator, weight belt etc. But one thing is missing its fins. I feel very lucky after found all of these things.

I found a hilt of a katana from WW2 while diving here in Guam about 2 years ago. Rusted beyond use but still pretty neat.

I seem to have been diving mostly boring waters. Found fishing lures and anchors.:)

I have in the bottom of my pool bag an assortment of coins, paper money, hair clips, ear rings, ball bearings, goggles. All from my time lap swimming.

Found a fairly sizeable diamond at the bottom of the pool. Stupidly handed it over to the gym manager instead of the police (thought there were more chances for the owner to seek it there but on reflection I think I should have taken it to the police and told the gym that it was there in case someone asked for it). Oh well, really hope whoever lost it ended up getting back and that the gym manager doesn't have a new car lol

Reactions: jks
Up in northern Vancouver Island. I found an old Block (Pulley) from a square rigger. It has rally interesting erosion in the wood. It's probably really old. Anybody know how I could get it dated? Old pulley.jpg

That's awesome - great find!

I doubt there would be a scientific method to accurately date it as it won't be old enough - C14 dating is used in objects that approximately 500 - 60,000 years old. Your best bet would be to find a maritime museum and see if they can give you a rough date based on the design & location found.

That's awesome - great find!

I doubt there would be a scientific method to accurately date it as it won't be old enough - C14 dating is used in objects that approximately 500 - 60,000 years old. Your best bet would be to find a maritime museum and see if they can give you a rough date based on the design & location found.

Thanks Broseidon! That's good advice.

Found a fairly sizeable diamond at the bottom of the pool. Stupidly handed it over to the gym manager instead of the police (thought there were more chances for the owner to seek it there but on reflection I think I should have taken it to the police and told the gym that it was there in case someone asked for it). Oh well, really hope whoever lost it ended up getting back and that the gym manager doesn't have a new car lol

The police are humans too..

You can post a letter on the pool's bulletin board, stating you've found a ring, with your phone number. And then when Cinderella calls ask her to describe it's features, and size. This way you ensure yourself you return it to the real owner.
Then you marry her and live long ever after.

The police are humans too..

You can post a letter on the pool's bulletin board, stating you've found a ring, with your phone number. And then when Cinderella calls ask her to describe it's features, and size. This way you ensure yourself you return it to the real owner.
Then you marry her and live long ever after.

Was a couple of years ago, just remembered when someone else wrote about the bottom of the pool... :) and there was no ring, just the stone - must have fallen off the ring, whoever lost it must have been so upset, hope they found it!

I will look for female shoes at the bottom of the pool from now on (of fins?) and go around looking for the owner - have a feeling my wife will not appreciate it though Kars lol

I have filled up a few tackle boxes with lead weight sinkers and new and old lures, and also found a traffic cone in 20 ft of water

I found several items of spearfishing gear on the seabed in Cornwall last week . The equipment included a spearo's weight ves so recovery took a little effort. I'd like to be "a good citizen", I dislike loosing things and I would think that is a fairly expensive item, so if it belongs to you and you'd like it back, please PM me before the end of September 2014; you'll need to pay postage as it is heavy (esp. if you want the lead included), postage charges can be excessive these days.

You'll need to tell me the location lost - and how & when lost - and establish ownership (e.g. describe the items in detail).
SpearoSalvageYellEdReduced.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: diver9 and Jonny250
While on holiday in Cornwall last week I found several items of spearfishing gear on the seabed. The equipment included a spearo's back-weight/gillet - so recovery took a little effort. I'd like to be "a good citizen", I dislike loosing things and I would think that is a fairly expensive item, so if it belongs to you and you'd like it back, please PM me before the end of September 2014 - you'll need to pay postage as it is heavy & postage charges are shocking these days. I also have a suggestion for a small reward/salvage fee (one of the items found).

You'll need to tell me the location lost, described the item & its brand, and the other items found with it. I'm curious to know how these items were lost - although I think I may have figured it out now. Also, when was it lost: you'd think it must have been a recent loss but several things make me think these items might well have been in "Davy Jones's locker" since last year?

Please share the story if someone contacts you, I'm curious too now.

During the DeeperBlue Guernsey Spearo meet this weekend, whilst hunting for flatfish, I found a brass trigger guard for a Brown Bess musket. It must be at least 200 years old. I looked around for other bits but found nothing else. Pics to follow once I've cleaned it up.

"...a brass trigger guard for a Brown Bess musket" - that's pretty specific Trelawney, how did you identify it? Does the local museum have some already?

I found an old rowlock on a beach earlier this year, uniformly coated with blue-green verdigris, quite striking in colour & shape.

Senior X: Garage sale if not claimed?
Perhaps ebay, I haven't really thought yet. I was quite keen on getting one of these myself a few years ago but have since got used to my weight belt and would hesitate to make large changes now. It is quite heavy, much heavier than I expected - not sure how safe it is to carry so much weight without a quick release mechanism. It was not obvious what I had found at first - I almost discarded it as something likely to be festering and horrible (the thought "fish heads? chum?" occurred to me several times in the recovery process).

Some writing on one of the items makes me wonder if this might have been dropped by a visiting foreign spearo but the equipment is from several different companies/countries, so not really conclusive.

Last edited:
IMG_2772.JPG IMG_2774.JPG IMG_2780.JPG IMG_2782.JPG Here we are. Some before and after shots.
According to the web, its from a 1746 First Pattern "Brown Bess" musket.
Its not in bad shape for something 250 years old.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT