• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OMER Cayman E.T Roller 85

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Next year I want to organise a topic regarding lung volumes,oxygen transport and gas exchange hyperventilation and heart rate.should be an advanced aspect of freediving and human body response to it....

Sounds good Vasile,you might also add knife handeling to that:blackeye:blackeye:blackeye.

I find its about the same as the XXV 75 with a 6.75mm spear on it instead of the the normal 6.25mm. It would tire your hand over an extended session, I might add some small amount of counterweight at the loading butt and try a cork in the second band hole on the muzzle.

Vasile, some info on the basics would be useful as well as maybe suggesting a kit to keep in your dive bag or car for emergency first aid such as bandages, antiseptic wipes etc. its easy enough to get small puncture wounds and lacerations with rocks, broken glass etc.

And knives Derek,dont forget knivesrofl.

I agree for fast tracking it is nowhere near as good as the 75 band guns but I like Foxys analogy and I will use this gun like a sniper rifle to take out fish at longer ranges. I think it will be a case of carrying one or other on the float and choosing the best gun for the job. Sorry to hear you lost your other gun, especially after having it for so long. Another tip that might work for you if you have a gopro camera is to mount it behind the handle, near the loading butt...it acts as a great counter balance for the heavy muzzle.

Hows the leg today Arrow...guess you had to stay away from the Tortoise enclosure in case you had to make a run for it :p

Hows the leg today Arrow...guess you had to stay away from the Tortoise enclosure in case you had to make a run for it :p

Bit tender Der,had to grin and bare it(while we went around the Zoo 3 times:crutch,left knife at home:t.

Its my turn today...taking the grandchild to Belfast zoo. I've blisters on my feet from all the shopping yesterday. Just working up the brownie points to go missing for a few dives during the week :p

I use this system too. I have the 105 with the notches on the rear (so far) set in standard position. If wearing gloves and you preload the rear to any notch other than the one closest to the muzzle, you will pre-load the band pulling the the wishbone tight to the rollers.

I usually use mine on the mid setting, 2 wraps and it still bangs the bungie cord. I have used 3mm cord and used a sheet bend to secure it, both ~(inside -- out) into what loop was left from the original wishbone attachment.

It is still a pull on a 105 cause with guns that long you are starting to reach. But, doable.

So, if you use that setting, you have the 14mm bands almost the barrel and half long and you get a real snap to the shot. Basically, once you've made one shot, it's technically just one loading action after the spear is inserted in the track and the line wrapped.

Yes, I find mine muzzle heavy too but in any swell, it;s rock solid. This is a waiting gun anyway so great for that.

Hi Robbo,

Well I went ahead and got the Omer Roller 85 and had my first go at rigging and using it today. I think the gun is great...I find it very accurate and very powerful. The 14mm bands I thought might be a bit underpowered but they sent the spear out to the end of the double wrap with a nice tug on the bungee at the end. I think I have the answer for your loading concerns and I've managed to load it in 1 smooth action.

1) I only need to secure the pre-tensioning cord to whichever notch required underneath the gun and then leave it there (for full power it will be the one nearest the trigger guard)

2) By tying on an extra 'loop' of cord (see photos) just before the main cord knots, you can use this with one hand to grip and pull back on the bands just far enough to get your free hand on to a band and hold it until you can grip the other band.

3) You should now be able to pull back and load it to whichever notch you require in one action. It didn't take long to get the hang of wrapping the shooting line quickly and it only takes a second or two to pull back the bands.

With all that power, shooting mullet at a few metres away sent the spear and line right through the fish and I had to unclip the shooting line and pull that through the fish which took a bit longer to put it back on the clip. I'll use less power by only loading to the second notch on the spear and see if that helps next time.

...hope this helps.

just noticed today ,when you have this gun fully loaded,over and under,its not nearly as muzzle heavy as having it 3/4 loaded.

Did I mention that this is an awesome gun :inlove?

Hi! I am trying to make contact with Derek.
Could you give me some information about deeperblue topic?
I am converting my Arbalete for roller system and want to use the extra loop to arm. Can you explain better how to do it (rope diameter, node type, etc.)?
What is needed so that the loop is always with the bow upwards and not obstruct sight?
Grateful. Hugs.
Marcos.

P. S. I live in Brazil and I'm using a translator!

I am converting my Arbalete for roller system and want to use the extra loop to arm. Can you explain better how to do it (rope diameter, node type, etc.)?
What is needed so that the loop is always with the bow upwards and not obstruct sight?
Grateful. Hugs.
Marcos.

Its just a bit of 3mm cord,tied in front of the wishbone knots,theirs pictures ,its very simple.

Grateful. Hugs.
Marcos.

Hi Marcos,

As Arrowloopboy said it is a very simple solution to the problem of the wishbone being held tight to the muzzle when you have the bands already under pre-tension on the underneath of the gun and you do not want to repeatedly have to reset them after firing the gun just in order to reload, as the method in the Omer loading instructions describe: http://www.omersub.com/0102file/manuale_roller.zip.

It is impossible with the bands already under strong pre-tension to get any grip with your fingers on the wishbone to pull back the rubber bands and load the wishbone to one of the shark-fin tabs on the spear shaft. So to allow me to do this I just simply tied a loop of cord to the existing cord wishbone. The loop can be pushed under the rubber band with your finger after loading to keep it out of your line-of-sight if it is a problem for you.

Here are a few more pictures that might help explain it better. I hope this translates OK for you in the translator...my Portuguese is not very good :t

Mergulho Seguro meu amigo

Attachments

• Roller_Loop.jpg
    Roller_Loop.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 263
  • Roller_Loop1.jpg
    Roller_Loop1.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 287
  • Roller_Loop2.jpg
    Roller_Loop2.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 266
Hello! Grateful for the help and attention of you.
Sorry I have posted in various places, it was because I was having trouble accessing the forum.
Surely the photos help much because the need to arm my future roller in 3 or 4 operations saddened.
Hopefully eliminate some steps and make the process more agile.
Grateful. Hugs.

Hello Spearfishing. Good morning!
Again I come to ask them for help on adapting my roller.
I'm undecided as to the distance between the hooks that are on the underside of the barrel and the amount of coupling that would be sufficient to install.
In the images of the net only to give notice that the first is right next to the reel but you can not get an idea of the distance between him and the others.
The gun has a size of 75 cm pipe.
Can you give me an opinion?
Grateful. Hugs. Marcos

Hi Marcos, the Omer Roller has an adjustable system on the underside to allow you set different pre-tensions and you also have some options with which tab on the spearshaft to load as well. For me I mainly use the one nearest the trigger for full strength 'Long' shots and one approx half way down the barrel when I'm shooting near rocks or down on to the sea bed. Have a look here for some ideas on the adjustable system : Preview OmerSub Cayman ET Roller | Pesca Sub - Pesca in Apnea

Attachments

• Roller.jpg
    Roller.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 247
Hello Derek. Good night!
Unfortunately, in my gun, not be able to install an adjustable system. It will be fixed.
Any idea how many inches from the hitch to full strength and the middle of the barrel?
Only two positions will serve you?
Grateful. Hugs.

I used to have a Seatec 75 mini roller and it only had one anchor point on the underside near the trigger, to adjust the strength I would load to the first notch on the spear shaft for less power and to the second spearshaft notch nearest the butt for full power. At one time I changed the shaft to an omer sharkfin, this had three loading tabs and gave me all the adjustment I needed. It was also a thicker shaft at 6.75mm and did not travel as far as the original 6.25mm shaft but it was sufficiently accurate with two wraps of line and a bungee for that distance.

I'm no expert on roller design but I would think that several factors will help make your decision. For example, the size, length and strength (thickness) of the rubber bands you are using, open or closed muzzle (whether or not you can use a sharkfin tab spear), the size of spear you use eg. 6.25mm, 6.5mm or even 7mm, the amount of wraps for shooting line that you will want to use etc.

I would probably mount the first 'Anchor' as near to the trigger as possible so that will be your maximum power and then test it out in the water under the conditions that you will normally hunt in, for example, near a reef or in the kelp and then decide if you even need to add any further 'Anchor' points for adjustment.

With the length of the bands unloaded on the underside and the first tab on the spear engaged with your wishbone, you probably won't have that much of an adjustment area to play with on a 75cm gun, so it will depend on what the minimum amount of power you want to apply will be with whatever shaft you are using.

Maybe you can post some pictures of your project and give us some more information about the spear, rubbers and what you will be using it for.

Attachments

• Sharkfin Spear.jpg
    Sharkfin Spear.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Hi Gab and Derek!
I'm not making a gun complete. I'm making some adjustments.
My gun is wood, with two elastic 16mm. I bought this size because it was very common fish in murky water with visibility 1.5 to 2 m. But now I have found the cleanest waters with visibility of up to 6m (you can find little but for fishing in rivers is a high profile).
So I want to increase the range of my gun (do not want to buy a bigger one). So I'm installing two pulleys Picasso and I'll convert it to roller system.
But there are times that the water is a bit murky, hence the need for another anchor point beyond the first, near the trigger.
Use a spear 7mm and hopefully get a power increase of 40%. I'll use elastic 16mm (Picasso Boom).
The pieces are almost ready and soon will finish the job.
I'll try to post some pictures.
Hugs.

PS: I am thinking of installing a second anchor point distant about 12 cm from the first.

Hi Marcos, it would be helpful to see some pictures if you have some. I still think that the Sharkfin shaft with three tabs would work or another option if you have a shaft with notches is that you could cut another notch into the spear nearer the muzzle, you can also put the second anchor point on as well. I would try the gun out with the maximum power first to see how it handles and what range it is capable of penetrating a fish at, 6m might be a bit ambitious for a 75cm gun.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT