• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OMER Cayman E.T Roller 85

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
My friend in Aus upgraded his 95 to 16mm rubbers and he swears it was better but he also recommended against buying this gun at all. I found the 85 perfect for what I use it for so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend in Aus upgraded his 95 to 16mm rubbers and he swears it was better but he also recommended against buying this gun at all. I found the 85 perfect for what I use it for so...

Its really horses for courses...it might not suit his application but it is ideal for what I want it to do. I use a 75cm XXV for hunting through the weed and the 85 Roller for when its good vis and more open water. I mainly hunt sea bass and they rarely come into an effective range of the 75 in open water on a clear day so the 85 does just fine here. I normally carry both guns on my float and can pick whichever is the most suitable for the conditions.

I have an old beauchat 75 which I started with. Just wasn't as accurate as my friends longer guns. I bought the Cayman et roller 85 last year and it seems to suit all my needs perfectly. I hunt for bass mainly.
My mate in aus was fishing in deeper clearer water with little cover. He needed the extra range and made other modifications to his 95 as well as the 16mm rubbers. But in the end he said it wasn't worth it and bought something else

Did anyone try to put a 16mm Band in this gun.

Yes, this is possible.
Roller shaft, as expected, seems to be holding additional power without problems.
The bearings are still ok after 1-2 yrs, although it is questionable if they'll have somewhat reduced lifetime.

If you do decide to overpower this gun, you'll have to add some more line (you can count from the photo how many wraps).
If you do not add more line, something will eventually break despite the bunji - crimp (if not done properly), line holder on the spear or the first shark-fin which line holder keeps hitting (the most likely one to fail).

P1010282 copy.jpg P1010283 copy.jpg P1010286 copy.jpg

Nice job Octopus, good addition of the tubing around the pull cord...mine is starting to look a little bit worn but its still in working order.

Fine work!!!
I was also thinking of using the Beuchat revoconcept band for underneath... Last year i used the revoconcept 95 but it was not verry accurat so i missed many fish that were near the gun. On distance it worked better, and with a lot of Power. But i was angry about the unaccurat shots so i bought the cayman95 with the closed track... I now want to get more Power while staying accurate. Thanks for your Post... You Do not have problems with the Plastic from the Beuchat touching the pre tensioning notches when shooting?
Greetings from Austria

You Do not have problems with the Plastic from the Beuchat touching the pre tensioning notches when shooting?

I haven't noticed any problems of such kind.
But I am rubbish spearo, spending most of my time in the sea, winter&summer, and not nearly enough on the net investigating gear.
If there is a such a problem - what happens as a consequence - how do you know you have a problem?

Reactions: foxfish
I haven't noticed any problems of such kind.
But I am rubbish spearo, spending most of my time in the sea, winter&summer, and not nearly enough on the net investigating gear.
If there is a such a problem - what happens as a consequence - how do you know you have a problem?
As i am from Austria, I can not go to test the Cayman... I am in greece one week in june so i have to prepare propperly ... Do you have the 95 or 85 gun and how long did you choose the rubberbands. It would be very kind of you to help me in this case, if you think your gun works good with that Setup.
Because of the Plastik beuchatthing... I just thought that there might be a problem... Maybee it slams the notches or get stuck somehow...
Thanks a lot for your help. Have a nice evening.

Reactions: foxfish
As i am from Austria, I can not go to test the Cayman... I am in greece one week in june so i have to prepare properly

I understand. I have been in similar situations before.
I have got 75, 95 and 115. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can - with photos, measurements and exact details, but it would help if you could tell me what gun length you would like to focus on.

I understand. I have been in similar situations before.
I have got 75, 95 and 115. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can - with photos, measurements and exact details, but it would help if you could tell me what gun length you would like to focus on.
Wow that' s very nice of you. I own the Cayman 95. I just need to know the approximate length of the 16 mm Rubber and if you let the Beuchat Band in original length. I would use even the band from the marlin revoconcept 95.
You helped me a lot until this point. Thanks!

Wow that' s very nice of you. I own the Cayman 95. I just need to know the approximate length of the 16 mm Rubber and if you let the Beuchat Band in original length. I would use even the band from the marlin revoconcept 95.
You helped me a lot until this point. Thanks!
Why don't you sell the revo concept by the way?

Both short (black) bands are 34cm long end-to-end (knots are 1.5cm from the ends) and 15mm thick - I just left both original short Beuchat bands, except I shorted the longer one of the two, so both are of the same length:
( http://www.subprof.com/tienda/produ...catID=1&nom=BEUCHAT+MARLIN+REVOLUTION+SLINGS+ )

Beuchat long band is 18.5mm thick and it doesn't fit the gap designed for the rollers.

Long (blue) band is 92cm end-to-end, with knots at 1cm form the ends. It is 16mm RA (pricey) sling:
http://www.spearfishing.de/product_info.php?info=p186_Rob-Allen-Rubber---14-16-18-20mm.html

When fully loaded (I really hate doing this on dry), plastic holding bands is just after one of the catches - so it doesn't touch that one.
When discharged, plastic holder ends up just before the next catch.
So the range of movement of plastic holder is between the two catches.
Personally, I do not think it would make any difference even if it was going over the catch, except maybe for possible "clicking" noise.

start_position.jpg end_position.jpg

Obviously, you do not have to follow this rather complicated setup and can just go for two 16mm simple bands, one on each roller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bär Enkrebs
Once again a big Thank you!!! As I told you I was thinking about using the Beuchat small band... then I thougt about doing two seperate 16mm bands inside the gun... and as I saw your Setup I decided to do both Jobs and take it with me to greece. So I can cange if somethingdoesn´t fit so well. I will tell you how the Story ended after my greece holydays.Thanks!!! You helped me more than I expected!!!

You are welcome.

Some ppl here will no doubt disagree with me, but I use 1.17mm/219lbs mono line (ASSO Triple Force), as I find this more than enough for conditions/fish where I hunt. I am sure you can find something similar in Austria.
If you want to keep all options open, then you can get some thicker line as well.

http://www.fairwaterfishing.co.uk/mono.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bär Enkrebs
A friend dropped off a Cayman roller ET 85.
The line release toggle under the shaft sticks up when you shoot and catches on the spear notch.....

Anyone got any ideas?

I thought about filing the top of the line release toggle down a bit so that it wouldn't catch but also leaving enough of the flat top so that it still allowed the line release to work properly.

I'm not convinced that the line release toggle is in the right way around. Does anyone know which way round the toggle should go in?

Mine does this also when I try and remove the spear from the gun when the rubbers are not loaded but the shooting line is still in place and under tension from the bungee. Try removing the shooting line from the release before you pull the trigger and slide the shaft forward. It works perfect when shooting in the water but I noticed this 'feature' when trying to take the shaft out by hand with the shooting line still in place on the release.

A friend dropped off a Cayman roller ET 85.
The line release toggle under the shaft sticks up when you shoot and catches on the spear notch.....

Anyone got any ideas?

I thought about filing the top of the line release toggle down a bit so that it wouldn't catch but also leaving enough of the flat top so that it still allowed the line release to work properly.

I'm not convinced that the line release toggle is in the right way around. Does anyone know which way round the toggle should go in?

Attaching some photos for you...

Attachments

• 20180718_113125.jpg
    20180718_113125.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 20180718_113227.jpg
    20180718_113227.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 325
Hi I want to ask what speargun is better mares sniper 90cm or omer cayman G.I 90 cm.
Thanks
Pls answer

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT