• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

OMER Cayman E.T Roller 85

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hello Derek!
When I spoke to 6m visibility I did not realize that my gun go that far.
It turns out that with increasing distance visibility fish moving also increased.
If a modification to increase its roller range to 3.5 m beyond the tip of the spear I'll be happy.
Hugs.

Hi Marcos, I think 3.5m from the trigger would be a very good distance to make sure the spear will penetrate the fish sufficiently to open the flopper. This is why you should test it first on max power (ie Bands extended as far as you can on the underneath and all the way back to the last notch on the spear). Put a target up and fire at different distances to see how it performs, you will then know the maximum range with the configuration you have and if you need to change the bands or spear for more distance or accuracy.

Hello Derek. Good afternoon!
Yet complete adaptation of the gun. I need some information to the shooting test.
I watched a video cayman 105 and the target was an artificial fish
().

I also saw other tests whose targets were swimming boards ([ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXwho2ZjRz0]130 rail speargun vs 110 roller speargun - YouTube[/ame]).

The material that I will be available polystyrene board. Can you tell me what the thickness of the plate would amount to shooting a fish that weighed about 3 pounds?
Grateful. Hugs.

P. S. You use monofilament leader on the spear. Can you tell me if the leader of dinema (one round, a bit stiffer than the other) would decrease the range of the shot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Marcos, like I said I'm not an expert in this but I would think a board of 50-75mm would be good to start with. Measure out your spear, gun barrel and shooting line for to get the maximum range (approx 4 metres from the trigger with 1 wrap of shooting line), so set your target at 3.5 and see if you are getting good penetration. If the spear is going through the target completely then you can add another wrap of shooting line and increase the target distance until the spear just goes through and the flopper opens. I don't think the dyneema would make much difference to the range of the shot but it might tangel a bit easier than the mono.

Hello Fishermens.
I'm not finding clean water to perform the tests with my gun.
But I would have a value for comparison.
Someone who has done a test with measurements can tell me useful Omer Range roller 85?
Grateful.Hugs.

Hi Marcos, like I said I'm not an expert in this but I would think a board of 50-75mm would be good to start with. Measure out your spear, gun barrel and shooting line for to get the maximum range (approx 4 metres from the trigger with 1 wrap of shooting line), so set your target at 3.5 and see if you are getting good penetration. If the spear is going through the target completely then you can add another wrap of shooting line and increase the target distance until the spear just goes through and the flopper opens. I don't think the dyneema would make much difference to the range of the shot but it might tangel a bit easier than the mono.

Hi Marcoz,
I've done some tests with my et roller 85,on Bass and mullet,its very good to about 15 ft from your body,full penetration past the flopper on 7/8lb bass (in the head).Awsome gun,i love it.

Hi Marcoz,
I've done some tests with my et roller 85,on Bass and mullet,its very good to about 15 ft from your body,full penetration past the flopper on 7/8lb bass (in the head).Awsome gun,i love it.

Hello Arrowloopboy! Thank you for your attention.
When you say 15 feet from the body means from the eye of the shooter?
It is a good range.
Hugs.

Reactions: arrowloopboy
Hello Arrowloopboy! Thank you for your attention.
When you say 15 feet from the body means from the eye of the shooter?
It is a good range.
Hugs.
Yes Marcaoz,about 15ft from the eye of the shooter,and yes,i think its a very good range.

Hello fishermen ! Catching many fish ?
I managed to do a test on my gun . The link below did a shooting at 3.5 m from the trigger.

http://youtu.be/jtK__3TWYQ0
The power seemed good because it completely crossed a target with 6.5 cm Styrofoam (expanded polystyrene ) .
But to hit the target near the center needed to aim above 12 cm ( at the upper edge of the target ) .So the shot is suffering a big downward shift .
And the problem must be on those beams ( first image ). I made these very low beams at the entrance to smooth movement and higher at the end to prevent the elastic passed down from pulleys .
But dinema is pulling back the upwards arrow rises when the beams . I'll modify the design .
It is equivalent to the head of the omer tabs that hold the dinema ( second image ) .
Can anyone tell me the height of the tabs of the omer with respect to the top of the arrow ( looking for perpendicular ) ?
Trying to explain better, when the arrow passes through the channel its upper side is at the same time the edges of the channel or is a little low ? And how much lower it is ?
4hywc3.jpg
2lviphg.jpg

Grateful. Hugs .

Reactions: Petar86
Yes its much easier....loaded in one action. Now to catch the first fish of the season ;)

Still waiting to get out, viz looks good this weekend but unfortunately I have to get some work done and earn up some brownie points :(

I recently bought the cayman et roller 85 and had some problems. I was hoping for some advice.

The first time I used it I went to load it and one of the bands snapped. I followed the instructions loading it onto the first hook underneath then to the first and second sharks fin on the shaft (I didn't try loading it onto the third fin). I then went to load it to the second hook on the bottom and it snapped.

I managed to repair the band by shortening them and replacing the wishbone but I didn't dare try loading it to the second hook on the bottom after that.

With it on the first hook on the bottom and second fin on the shaft I still had excellent power and accuracy so I just stuck with it for the rest of my trip.

I now want to replace the bands but I'm not sure which to get. The gun came with bands that are approx 46cm long when slack. Should these be able to load to the third hook on the bottom and the third fin on the shaft or do I need to get longer ones?

They are available in various lengths here:

http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/omer-performer-principal-14-mm-for-roller/65690/p

I recently bought the cayman et roller 85 and had some problems. I was hoping for some advice.

The first time I used it I went to load it and one of the bands snapped. I followed the instructions loading it onto the first hook underneath then to the first and second sharks fin on the shaft (I didn't try loading it onto the third fin). I then went to load it to the second hook on the bottom and it snapped.

I managed to repair the band by shortening them and replacing the wishbone but I didn't dare try loading it to the second hook on the bottom after that.

With it on the first hook on the bottom and second fin on the shaft I still had excellent power and accuracy so I just stuck with it for the rest of my trip.

I now want to replace the bands but I'm not sure which to get. The gun came with bands that are approx 46cm long when slack. Should these be able to load to the third hook on the bottom and the third fin on the shaft or do I need to get longer ones?

They are available in various lengths here:

http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/omer-performer-principal-14-mm-for-roller/65690/p
Hi John,
I've just recently replaced my bands as they seemed to have lost some power after 2 seasons, I have the 85 roller as well. My friend also has the same gun and his bands snapped at the constrictor knot, we bought a 12 metre roll of the 14mm performer which worked out very reasonable when it was on special offer and split the cost between us. It took me a bit of searching to determine the right size as they also sell a circular band which led to confusion on some resellers websites (like the link you posted). The complete principal bands come as a set like the one pictured here http://apnea.co.uk/bands-14mm-latex/858-omer-bands-14mm-brown-performer-principal.html and the part no. is EL011442S which is 43cm.

I cut mine at 46cm each from the roll to allow 1.5cm each end for the constrictor knots and re-used the dyneema cords and inserts from my original bands, the bands will load from the third hook to the third tab on the spear but if you do this regularly you'll probably have to replace the bands each season as I think it tends to stretch them a bit.

Did anyone try to put a 16mm Band in this gun. I think about doing it to my 95 for more power. Would be nice to hear from you.

Did anyone try to put a 16mm Band in this gun. I think about doing it to my 95 for more power. Would be nice to hear from you.
I haven't tried it myself, I probably would never need any extra power for the area's that I hunt. Going on the last few years conditions the vis is rarely good enough to see past the guns range.

My friend in Aus upgraded his 95 to 16mm rubbers and he swears it was better but he also recommended against buying this gun at all. I found the 85 perfect for what I use it for so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT