Saturday, September 21, 2019
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 40,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 496,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,300+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pelengas Pneumovacuum speargun

OP
OP
popgun pete

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
Just speculation, but I am thinking that without the lip - or by loosening and then tightening the front when loaded in a lip less design - there's a risk that the cuff will be pulled towards the gun by the vacuum. I guess the same can happen at depth from the pressure if the foot of the cuff is not well supported.
I know @tromic feels it is definitely happening at the top of the cuff already and might lead to excessive friction and explain why these seals tend to be ripped. I think I agree with Tomi on the fact that the top probably collapses onto the shaft, but so far it's a price I am will to pay for the ease of using this type of seal. But I am thinking about the foot here, only in terms of the missing lip.
By loosen I mean take the clamping pressure off the vacuum cuff, you will lose the vacuum for the next shot, but after that with the front plastic cap retightened everything will be lined up. The vacuum cuffs are a neat fit in the recess in the muzzle that they fit it, but it is possible that it might have canted over when you did the plastic cap up. With the spear shaft running through it the vacuum cuff is precisely aligned and as I use one of these guns I can assure you that is exactly what happens.

OP
OP
popgun pete

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
I unscrewed the black plastic nose on my Pelengas "Magnum 70" and the vacuum cuff is like the ones that we saw in the very first place and made of black rubber. Red color vacuum cuffs were shown with the muzzle kits, but I have never seen one. The hole in the side of the plastic cap (there are two, one on each side) are there to let any water out when you plug the line slide into the front end of the muzzle. The rubber vacuum cuff nozzle seems pretty much centred when you do the plastic cap up, so no real reason to better align it unless that particular vacuum cuff is a looser fit. When I bought the gun I also bought 5 spare cuffs and have since gained a few more as they seem to put them in any "O" ring kits. One purchase where I bought a gun carry bag for the "Magnum 70" (one was not offered at the time of original purchase) the vendor added a freebie bottle of the Pelengas gun oil and a couple of other items as I have been a good customer what with buying reels and the Zelinka gun (which I have yet to try).

Reactions: Diving Gecko
OP
OP
popgun pete

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
At least towards the end of this video, the new muzzle is shown on a smaller gun with the regular hydroformed alu reservoir:

(This is the video I couldn't find when I wrote the previous post. It has footage of some CF guns, too though one is just hanging on the wall)
Watched the video. Looks like the rear valve cover is just a press fit now rather than a screw-in type cover. Unless you have a handy coin the original rear cap is rather fiddly to unscrew. The new muzzle seems to be longer in the plastic cap to enable you to grab onto it while in the water. The plastic cap is longer than the one it replaces, the metal muzzle body seemed slightly shorter, but I think that is because the cup on the front of the metal muzzle has been eliminated that the plastic cap screwed into, now the cap screws over the metal muzzle which is threaded on the nose end. Easier to make as they had to bore those cups out on the original muzzles. New vacuum cuff looks slightly smaller and more pinched than the previous version.

A problem with introducing a new vacuum cuff is they will need to carry inventory for both as they don't look interchangeable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
popgun pete

popgun pete

Jul 30, 2008
Australia
Here's a nice cutaway pic of a Pelengas muzzle. Seems like the only way to actually get the shock absorber into it is by depressing or folding it in on itself as the threaded part at the rear seems smaller than where the shock absorber sits, so one more possible explanation to why it is so soft?:
View attachment 54722

Though in this longer version with three PU elements, perhaps that issue looks less severe?
View attachment 54724

Two things I learned: it's hard to get a proper timeline on all of this - I think the company is constantly developing and trying out new things. And also, the boss (?) does seem to have a proper presence on their forums in Russia and Ukraine and seems to not mind sharing his thoughts and prototypes - he may even be listening to the feedback;)
They need to squeeze the polyurethane washers past the screw threads in the rear of the muzzle.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2019 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT