• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Pelengas Pneumovacuum speargun

Just speculation, but I am thinking that without the lip - or by loosening and then tightening the front when loaded in a lip less design - there's a risk that the cuff will be pulled towards the gun by the vacuum. I guess the same can happen at depth from the pressure if the foot of the cuff is not well supported.
I know @tromic feels it is definitely happening at the top of the cuff already and might lead to excessive friction and explain why these seals tend to be ripped. I think I agree with Tomi on the fact that the top probably collapses onto the shaft, but so far it's a price I am will to pay for the ease of using this type of seal. But I am thinking about the foot here, only in terms of the missing lip.
By loosen I mean take the clamping pressure off the vacuum cuff, you will lose the vacuum for the next shot, but after that with the front plastic cap retightened everything will be lined up. The vacuum cuffs are a neat fit in the recess in the muzzle that they fit it, but it is possible that it might have canted over when you did the plastic cap up. With the spear shaft running through it the vacuum cuff is precisely aligned and as I use one of these guns I can assure you that is exactly what happens.

I unscrewed the black plastic nose on my Pelengas "Magnum 70" and the vacuum cuff is like the ones that we saw in the very first place and made of black rubber. Red color vacuum cuffs were shown with the muzzle kits, but I have never seen one. The hole in the side of the plastic cap (there are two, one on each side) are there to let any water out when you plug the line slide into the front end of the muzzle. The rubber vacuum cuff nozzle seems pretty much centred when you do the plastic cap up, so no real reason to better align it unless that particular vacuum cuff is a looser fit. When I bought the gun I also bought 5 spare cuffs and have since gained a few more as they seem to put them in any "O" ring kits. One purchase where I bought a gun carry bag for the "Magnum 70" (one was not offered at the time of original purchase) the vendor added a freebie bottle of the Pelengas gun oil and a couple of other items as I have been a good customer what with buying reels and the Zelinka gun (which I have yet to try).

Reactions: Diving Gecko
At least towards the end of this video, the new muzzle is shown on a smaller gun with the regular hydroformed alu reservoir:

(This is the video I couldn't find when I wrote the previous post. It has footage of some CF guns, too though one is just hanging on the wall)

Watched the video. Looks like the rear valve cover is just a press fit now rather than a screw-in type cover. Unless you have a handy coin the original rear cap is rather fiddly to unscrew. The new muzzle seems to be longer in the plastic cap to enable you to grab onto it while in the water. The plastic cap is longer than the one it replaces, the metal muzzle body seemed slightly shorter, but I think that is because the cup on the front of the metal muzzle has been eliminated that the plastic cap screwed into, now the cap screws over the metal muzzle which is threaded on the nose end. Easier to make as they had to bore those cups out on the original muzzles. New vacuum cuff looks slightly smaller and more pinched than the previous version.

A problem with introducing a new vacuum cuff is they will need to carry inventory for both as they don't look interchangeable.

Last edited:
Here's a nice cutaway pic of a Pelengas muzzle. Seems like the only way to actually get the shock absorber into it is by depressing or folding it in on itself as the threaded part at the rear seems smaller than where the shock absorber sits, so one more possible explanation to why it is so soft?:
View attachment 54722

Though in this longer version with three PU elements, perhaps that issue looks less severe?
View attachment 54724

Two things I learned: it's hard to get a proper timeline on all of this - I think the company is constantly developing and trying out new things. And also, the boss (?) does seem to have a proper presence on their forums in Russia and Ukraine and seems to not mind sharing his thoughts and prototypes - he may even be listening to the feedback;)
They need to squeeze the polyurethane washers past the screw threads in the rear of the muzzle.

Pelengas website still has not reappeared?
Pelengas website.jpg

Here it is, "only" 488 bucks. 120 cm model as shown.
Pelengas Carbon pneumatic gun.jpg

Pelengas rear handle and reel carbon model.jpg

PNEUMATIC VACUUM SPEARGUN PELENGAS CARBON 120 created for spearfishing in salt water on captured species of fish. As standard, a harpoon with a diameter of 7 mm (according to all tests with such a length of the harpoon is enough to shoot large fish at a long distance), this gun is balanced perfectly under a harpoon with a diameter of 7 mm and the pneumatic vacuum cuff is precisely for this diameter of the harpoon. If you want such a gun with a harpoon of 7.5 mm, tell us after paying for the goods, and we will modify the muzzle and replace the cuff suitable for the harpoon of 7.5 mm.

Last edited:
Pelengas spearguns have a molded inlet valve cap with a wide screwdriver slot in the rear which is curved rather than straight cut across to form a slot. Unfortunately a screwdriver blade will twist out and rip up the plastic, so you really need a coin to undo it. The molded threads are very tight at first and even gripping a coin can be problematic. However in a 2 dollar shop I found this version of a mini vice-grip which with a coin makes the perfect tool for undoing this rear cap as you can press while twisting which removes any risk of tearing the cap, something very easy to do otherwise as it is hollow, like a thimble, and is not solid plastic.
Rear cap removal tool R.jpg

rear cap.jpg

Last edited:
View from on top, bright line is not a spear, looks like a reflection on an aiming stripe.
Pelengas Carbon 120 cm.jpg

Yeah, same idea as the Salvi Dark Side which they might have gotten from the Corsican spearo Ibba something who shoots custom made Carbozzi guns:
179479_189404161211595_446791974_n.jpg

This is just a regular reservoir with a foam float under a CF layer.

the shape is no exactly the same as the salvimar or the carbozzi.
the pelengas tank seems to have a big "vertical belly"

Attachments

• Pelengas carbon fiber gun  reel.jpg
    Pelengas carbon fiber gun reel.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 348
the shape is no exactly the same as the salvimar or the carbozzi.
the pelengas tank seems to have a big
"vertical belly"

I know;)
The carbozzi is just a glued on foam thing and the Salvi is a straight tube. That said, Pelengas has not done much more in my eyes. Why they don't put in a reverse trigger and a higher handle is just unfathomable to me. The insides of these guns have not changed in, what, close to 50 years now? The Pelengas boss seems to be very good at shopping around for ideas in his very own backyard - and as Pete has shown elsewhere there's a great example of a reverse trigger right there. To me, this is bling, just bling really.
Well, let me be a bit nicer. The Russian spearos like to hang a reel and torch under their tiny guns so the volume will help them. And loads of the Italian guns are a tad heavy in the water in the shorter sizes, so I guess the Pelengas has an advantage there. The compression ratio should be slightly more advantageous but not sure enough to make a real world difference.

Last edited:
I know;)
The carbozzi is just a glued on foam thing and the Salvi is a straight tube. That said, Pelengas has not done much more in my eyes. Why they don't put in a reverse trigger and a higher handle is just unfathomable to me. The insides of these guns have not changed in, what, close to 50 years now? The Pelengas boss seems to be very good at shopping around for ideas in his very own backyard - and as Pete has shown elsewhere there's a great example of a reverse trigger right there. To me, this is bling, just bling really.
Well, let me be a bit nicer. The Russian spearos like to hang a reel and torch under their tiny guns so the volume will help them. And loads of the Italian guns are a tad heavy in the water in the shorter sizes, so I guess the Pelengas has an advantage there. The compression ratio should be slightly more advantageous but not sure enough to make a real world difference.

yep you are right. Pelengas should/could have brought more inovation... at least at this price!

The gun according to the shop can go to 40 atmospheres which is the operating pressure limit. The bulbous tank will lower the compression ratio. It should be a zippy shooter with 40 atmospheres start pressure in it. My guess is the gun has changed shape somewhat since it was first displayed and is somewhat tubbier than the gun with the wide flat head in those front on photos. Plus it will be heavy, although buoyant in the water due to a large water displacement of that thick wall carbon fiber body. All the better to shoot things with!
Pelengas Carbon 120 cm tilted.jpg

Last edited:
Developments seem to never end at Pelengas as they now have a new “Varvar” version of their guns which uses the new plastic muzzle seen on the Carbon pneumatic gun and a new trigger mechanism. The new sear lever is an unstable type with an angled sear tooth that is blocked from moving by the trigger pull rod, the mushroom tail on the piston also being angled to match the tooth. Nemrod used this type of sear lever in their "Mariner" pneumatic guns in the seventies.
varvar gun in case.jpg

varvar mech.jpg

varvar.jpg

Another mistake of the Pelengas designers! The piston will scratch the barrel! It is necessary to make either a one-piece plastic piston, or combined with a reduction in diameter for metal with a plastic sliding heel!
varvar mech.jpg

They can fix it by reducing the diameter of the mushroom head and the body section behind the "O" ring, it will not need much taken off to increase the clearance provided the piston cannot rock in the inner barrel. On this type of sear lever the pivot pin operates in a slot in order for the sear lever to push rearwards during the relatch, that way the pull rod does not impede the movement of the sea lever. Less parts to make means that the cost of manufacturing the gun can be reduced. Is it better than the stable sear lever, well the sear lever goes "over the falls" in a different way as it will hang onto the piston until the rod pulls free of the sear lever tip. Stable sear levers tilt until they reach a point of no return and then the gun shoots, as the Cyrano Evo demonstrated if at latch the sear lever is already slightly tilted, a big "no-no" in spearguns.
Nemrod Mariner Pneumatic sear lever.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zahar
Video about Plenengas. Interesting was to me the way of using the loader, in two steps...

You mean, one hand after the other? That's how I use my extended loaders, too. But maybe I put two hands on the top handle for the last part, I think. The shape of the guns looks good - very much like what I have alluded to wanting to make for a while now. Though, when I get around to it, I will slim it down even more at the front and raise the handle more, too.

Last edited:
You mean, one hand after the other? That's how I use my extended loaders, too. But maybe I but two hands on the top handle for the last part, I think. The shape of the guns looks good - very much like what I have alluded to wanting to make for a while now. Though, when I get around to it, I will slim it down even more at the front and raise the handle more, too.
Yes, one hand one half of the shaft length, starting from the middle than rest on the muzzle, and then the other hand. Bowing of the shaft is better controlled this way...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT