• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Personal bests

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Tzuiop,

Nice going! It is rare for a beginner to have stats such as yours. With skilled trainer/training, you could be a competition diver!

Warmly,
Aaron

L plates

I have an L plate (learners sticker) on my fins but heres my progress so far
(been doing this for a month now)

pb cw 20 meters

pb dynamic apnea no fins 55m

pb dynamic apnea with fins 70m

static apnea in pool 3min

static apnea dry 4min 35sec

the cw and SA in pool were achieved on beginers clinic where the limit was 20m and hold time limit was 3 min (for safety reasons) so i was happy to achieve these goals and felt physically and mentally comfortable doing both (except for tooth sqeeze at 20m, ouch!).
there are some insipring times and depths listed on these forums but ultimately i want to compete with myself and feel at peace doing so. In the short time i have been doing this i feel a relaxation and calmness i used to only achieve running cross country and long distance as a teenager before i busted my knees. I've tried meditation but couldn't shut the brain off yet when doing breathing exercises i seem to achieve a relaxed state easily........ah but i digress , sorry for the ramble, all i need now is a training buddy so i can make serious (and safe) attempts to improve
thanks all !!
:)

Originally posted by Octo
Tzuiop,

Nice going! It is rare for a beginner to have stats such as yours. With skilled trainer/training, you could be a competition diver!

Warmly,
Aaron

Ditto to you as well Paulo. Great work! So many folks who discover this activity later in life a natural ability to breath-hold. I bet those of us who got serious about freediving later in life have really been "freediving" for years (this is the case for me at least-I thought I was just snorkling deep).

Aaron

Only started last summer, when I did the constant on holiday, not easy to find deep water in uk without suiting, but been training to get the dynamic up.

Constant weight with Scuba fins (couldn't get hold of long fins): 35.5m
greatest depth finding that the scuba fin you hired is broken: 22m :duh
Constant weight without fins: 30.5m
Longest dive: 2'04" @ 16m

Dynamic with fins: 50m
Dynamic without fins: 83m

Wet Static:4'30"
Dry static:6'39"

Just started in Dec. and have only been in the open water on vacation in Cozumel.
max depth- 67 ft
max time at depth- 45 seconds
longest dive- 2:10 at 27 ft
static wet- 3:00
static dry- 5:00
coolest encounter so far- dropping down to 45 ft and swimming with a huge spotted eagle ray.

longest time spent out of water: 1month 17days... and counting :(

Last edited:
Andrsn

We need to get Andrsn back in the water before his gills grow back together! Whaddya say men, should we go get him, bring him to the sea, and throw him in? Oops he might like that....

my gym cancelled my membership cause i was dumping a bag of sea salt into the jacuzzi everytime i went in :D

i'm heading back down to florida this thursday! i'll be in the water friday morning(lauderdale), and all day saturday(elliot key) and sunday(palm beach)!

get ready for some serious uw pics! i've got an itchy finger for both my shutter release and my trigger!

:D anderson

Andrsn

Yes I can just see him now, sitting underwater in the jacuzzi scaring innocent gym patrons :) Well I hope you have a good time, let us know how it is, and i'm glad you get to go back in soon.

Finally made it, easy 75m dynamic with fins (first contraction after 50m turn). This point was psychologically very hard, don't know excactly why.

But I'll keep on going.

juha

Dynamic

Yes the turns seem to be difficult, because you know once you know once you turn around, you've got a whole lap in front of you. So I think it's harder to face that when you're needing air than when you're getting close to a wall. But the fact that you just started your contractions at that 50m point was good, cause you probably knew you could go a bit farther.

he's got an itchy WHAT?!

The idea of Anderson having an itchy ANYTHING and sitting in a nything close to a communal water source is, well, enough to make me go get my 9mm rubber suit. Safety in thick protection...
:yack

LET'S GET THOSE ENTRIES IN FOLKS @ IT'S A CONTEST THREAD!!

Sven

New PB last night ...

Hi all, just an update to my stats.

Dynamic Apnea: 75m

It was quite a feat for me, as I a.) Hate contractions and b.) don't do things for records.

I had a great warm-up session, after wich I rested / breathed up for about 3 minutes, then just decided to go for it. I got a contraction at around 25m, very strange for this to happen, mildish but enough to give me a heads-up. I took the 50m turn like a pro (also very surprising, considering the lentgh of my Grinta's) and thought I'm gonna cramp again. But nada. Just big urge to breathe at 70m, so I let up and got out.

Funniest of all was probably the other people in the gym's faces ... he he he. Especially the lifeguard. I think I might just be doing that again sometime !

Saspearo

Was that with fins or without dude? That sounds like you had a lot of fun! I really would like to chat with you sometime if you have a messenger program or something to chat with, or trade emails back and forth for a while. What do you think?

Dynamic with fins ...

Used Grinta Tigullio longblades. My favourite toy - wash those pesky kids right out of the pool with two kicks!

MSN Messenger handle is acidburn_13@hotmail.com

E-Mail adress is RCoetzee@Idion.com

I went back to the gym last night and did a 50m without fins. Had an interesting chat with the lifeguard after my session, he was SURPRISED to find out that something like SWB exists .... shees.

Updating stats

Last night I achieved a new Pb in dynamic without fins.

99m:D It was also the first time that I tried in a 50m pool, just found a nice rythme and went with it.

Sam

Reactions: Angus
Integrity abounds

Hey BamBam, Congradulations but more importantly I am impressed with your integrity in reporting 99m in a 50m pool. By not rounding up to 100m is impressive as it is hard to go that distance. As we have a tendency to set goals for ourselves and coming to the end of full lap in a 50m pool is a clear concrete goal and to miss it by 1 meter - just one more kick - can be hard to swallow much less report. Thank you for demonstrating so clearly what integrity is an how important it is in our sport.

personal best

Aloha everyone,
Being new to the forum, and to bring DOWN the curve a bit. Here it is (I've always felt weird taking about my "best"):eek:

Personal Best Depth:
1. constant ballast: 95ft
2. other, specify: na
3. Average: 65ft (really, it's where I dive)
4. Time spent at depth: 1:20
5. Most recent best: I've only had a guage twice, and have only been timed once a year ago

Personal best Dynamic Apnea

1. below 15 feet: 2:30
2. distance (any depth): na
3. longest time spent on one dive (while active) 2:30 (I was looking for/picking up a screwdriver my crew lost overboard):duh
4. Most recent best: same

Personal best Static Apnea

1. In pool: haven't been in a pool since highschool (82')
2. best combination of depth and static: na
3. Most recent best: na

I'll explain my diving area. I dive at Niihau four days a week. As the captain, I can't spend much time down (I have a crew that spots, he can dive same depth). Where I take my people snorkeling it drops from 2ft to 210ft, so it will keep me occupied for a while. There is a ledge at 65-70ft with cracks and a cave frequently with a white tip reef shark (my first love---sharks---)
So, I look for my "buddy" every chance I get.

BTW anyone interested in sharing shark experiences? I would love to hear about some whites, blues, or oceanic white-tips.

I must say that it is intimidating seeing 4,5 and 6:00 times! 150ft is my next goal:D

Isn't this sport great?!!!

Aloha Chris

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT