• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Philippine spearfishermen

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
cool thanks for your help, i think the only draw back is that i will be only using my cressi 90 w reel and extra band. i was not really planning on getting a riffe but i was planning on getting a larger eurogun. will this be ok?
thanks a lot :D

Jonny,

I'm sure you'll have a ball with the Cressi 90, there's a load of reef species here, Lapu Lapa (local name for Grouper) and snapper speicies too.

Here's a shot of a school of Red Bass about 2.5kg. There was also a large Jack under this school - all great eating!

file.jpg

Last edited:
ok thanks a lot :D do you think i will need another band though? i am about to buy a new reel for my gun and was thinking of buying another band but not too sure.. i cant see the picture, access denied, but are there a lot of fish to shoot, its not like a swim around for 1 hour and then see 1 or 2 large schools of decent sized fish? or is there always nice big fish to shoot?

Jonny - I fixed that link. There's loads of fish to shoot, yet you will probably swim around for hours and not see anything worth shooting, that's why they call it fishing and not catching :).

If you put another rubber on your 90, you'd want to make sure you you get a thick shaft. Yes it'll shoot faster, but more rubber tends to warp the spear upon exit and if you over power the gun you might find that it's not effective.

Don't fall into the trap of more rubber more power - I only just put two rubbers back onto my 1.3m gun. I found that with a short single rubber, the spear went very fast, yet it ran out of torque on a long shot. I placed two rubbers back on and it shoots slower, yet the spear is effective at a greater range. A single rubber has always been fine on my 1.1m though.

Check the thickness of the rubber on your Cressi, you might just want to shorten the existing rubber OR get a thicker one. I run 18mm on my short gun as apposed to the standard 16mm.

Either way mate - keep it simple and just enjoy the diving in the pines!

Hi guys,

You can't find a speargun in the local dive shops here or in the malls either though we have a Riffe dealer here. If we need some spearfishing gears/accessories we'll just give him a call. If it's not in stock, we have to wait for almost two months for our orders to arrive. Most spearos here are using Riffes. The Island and Baja Plus models in particular. As far as I know, there are only three Wongs here, one Alexander, one Merlo, one Poseidonsub and two Spear-Diver guns.

Cheers/Safe diving,

Chris, do you know any spearos around south Luzon or Manila? I'm looking for buddies to go spearing with.

ok thanks a lot mate you ahve been a great help, yeah i still have my standard band on the cressi comanche 90, not sure what it is :S and a standard spear so i might just get a band but a long one
so it is still easyish to load but adds slightly more power. you should come out to dubai and try the spearfishing out here. my friends and i just go off the beach right now but we catch big, 3ft trevalli etc. its good fun.
anways thanks for your help,

My first ever spearing was in the Persian Gulf while I was staying in Bahrain. Loads of fish, but the water was hot like soup!

I was at 15m when the shot was taken. The fish were probably at 6m. I know what you mean about blue water, yet once you get a tast for the types of fish you catch, it'll keep you coming back!

Chris, do you know any spearos around south Luzon or Manila? I'm looking for buddies to go spearing with.

Maxdive,

I'll ask my spearo friend who's from Manila. Will let you know. When are coming to Manila?

Safe diving,

Chris,

Thanks for your help. I live full time in Manila. I've got all my spearfishing gear here, but it's been 10 months now and I haven't been spearing.

It'd be great if you could introuce me to anyone to budy up with for spearing.

Thanks!

Chris,

Thanks for your help. I live full time in Manila. I've got all my spearfishing gear here, but it's been 10 months now and I haven't been spearing.

It'd be great if you could introuce me to anyone to budy up with for spearing.

Thanks!

Great. Maybe we can hook up next summer's trip. What type of hunting do you prefer? I have a spearo friend in Cebu as well.

Safe diving.

haha yeah but i doupt i will be getting any fish on my cressi comanche 90 in blue water :p i will have hell of a problem finding a buddy as well lol

Jonny,

I'm sure you'll have a ball with the Cressi 90, there's a load of reef species here, Lapu Lapa (local name for Grouper) and snapper speicies too.

Here's a shot of a school of Red Bass about 2.5kg. There was also a large Jack under this school - all great eating!

file.jpg
where is this pic taken..i want to get some..

Hi All,

I'm a Californian spearo, and have moved to Cebu city (Banilad area). I've been here for almost a year now, but haven't done any spearfishing yet. I brought all my gear with me and would love to get back into spearfishing... Any info on dive sites or local dive partners would be greatly appreciated. I'm an experienced freediver, and before moving here I dove a couple times a week for the last 5 years. Thanks for any help.

Josiah

Also, I have a second gun thats I would be willing to part with. It's a 100cm Marc Vallentin gun with reel, only used once. I have a Rob Allen 120cm as my primary gun and don't see myself using the other smaller gun...

Josiah, i am on my way to the philippines I might be interested in the 100cm MV let me know your contact in fo. I am diving cebu I plan.

Josiah,

What is your e-mail address so I can send you a contact in Cebu?

Chris......

Hello Josiah, my name is Ted, Coming to Cebu early part of 2008, making plans to retire there, would appreciate meeting up or any contacts you can give me kind regards Ted

Hello all you guys, nice catch can i make contact when i come to Cebu. best regards Ted

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT