• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Philippine spearfishermen

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
i am hunting now with trygons.
this gun kicks ass!
Tanigi_Tuna_sm.jpg

don't mention the small parrotfish on the picture. it was a casualty.

Bye,

Wolf

Reactions: Mr. X
Gotta see that gun in person next week.:friday I'm running out of alibis though for my wife why I need another gun.:head:D

Cheers/Safe diving,

Palawan Spearfishing Dive 2009

Dive Site : Bastera, Arena and Cagayancillo

June 2, 2009 to June 8, 2009

Five (5) days unlimited dive

Live aboard (breakfast, lunch & dinner)

$ 600 per pax

hurry limited slot only

For inquiry : digicebu2005@yahoo.com

wdaf i saw your video on youtube and it rocks... i`m happy to know that there are still some good place to hunt.. take care btw guys check out spearfishing in cebu(youtube)

The video is from Herbert Nitsch when we went spearing together some months ago. He gave me permission to publish it.

yeah, great catch.
And especially important to mention ...
He fired his gun 5 times that day and he hit 5 big fish.
He has a very good hunting and shooting technique.

Anybody who knows how shy red snapper and lapulapu (grouper) are in the phils knows what i mean.

the link:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: agbiv and devondave
Ayos guapa video.
Nice video good camera work great fish and good shooting/diving/stalking skills displayed.

Peter

red snapper are very skittish and our lapulapu compared to groupers abroad is hard to approach which add to the degree of difficulty.. add to that that we make our own speargun from scratch and has limited range. that trygons speargun looks veryyyyyyyyyyyy sexy. thanx again wdaf. miles woolgar also has a vid spearfishing in cebu but no underwater scene.. :)

Spearfishing is not allowed in Anilao, Batangas and of course in the fish sanctuaries. Asking the local fishermen in the area on where to spearfish would be most prudent. One can buy good quality spearguns in the Philippines, though most local dive shops would not advertise selling spearguns. Get in touch with me if you want to buy Riffe spearguns. I know the person who imports it here. The person (or his shop) may be mentioned in the Riffe website. I do not want to mention the shops that do sell spearguns as obviously, that sort of attention would not be welcomed by them, for reasons they only know about. Spearfishing is not illegal here.

Anyone speared around Malapascua Island north of Cebu? Are there any restictions there?

One dive company I asked said no one spears there as it is over fished and a website said that they still fish with explosives there :blackeye

One can buy good quality spearguns in the Philippines, ... want to buy Riffe spearguns.

... traditional wooden high quality spearguns = RIFFE

... if you want high precision carbon spearguns for long distance shots or big fish ... i am your man - TRYGONS

Anyone speared around Malapascua Island north of Cebu? Are there any restictions there?

One dive company I asked said no one spears there as it is over fished and a website said that they still fish with explosives there :blackeye

yeah, from own experience i know that especially north and east of cebu dynamiting is still very common.
regarding fish in malapascua i heared the same. few and small, except the treshers :).

if you want to find bigger pelagic fish in the philippines you have to go to more remote and inconvenient (strong current, submerged structures, ...) locations.

Thanks Wolfgang, I am going to Malapascua instead of Moalboal now. Hopefully I'll get to see a Thresher shark if nothing else. Pelagics don't matter to me, just after a few reef fish for food or fish we don't get here in Australia.

i thought it would just be okay to do fishing using speargun anywhere in the Cebu since I saw some fishermen bringing there primitive speargun anywhere.

Thanks for the info.

please read through the forum first. you will find many infos already here.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT