• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Picasso Cent Pacific or RA or Rabitech..

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Spearingfish said:
Wong does offer a lifetime warranty, however his guns are incomplete, with scuffs and scratches and parts of wood that are unfinished. If you want a wood gun and are looking for aesthetics, go Scott Merlo. Kitto and Mori as well.

-Eugene T.

Eugene,

I found your above statement about Wong guns so uncharacteristic that I emailed Daryl asking if he remembers you or any "unfinished" magnum hybrids. Below is his reply:

Hi Nate,

I've never sold an unfinished gun. I won't even sell a gun so that a
customer can put thier own finish on. The only way he could get an
unfinished gun was to buy a used one that someone sanded all the finish
off
and then sold it to him. I don't know how he got the gun becuase it
wasn't
through me. I would lke to talk to him about that. I doubt it is my
gun,
or he bought a kit and is making his own gun.

Aloha, Daryl

Daryl's eamil address : dmcwong@hawaii.rr.com

It's one thing if you bought a gun from Daryl and it was "unfinished" as you say, then your criticism would be understandable. However, if you bought it used or put a kit together and it comes out less than satisfactory and then make these claims, well that's almost libelous.

Looking forward to your clarification.

Nate

Last edited:
Hi All,

I usually don't get into to many of these threads. I was going to answer earlier, but I have Scott Merlo in town and my freinds and I have been taking him diving.
I don't sell unfinished guns and thats not to say that I have been asked too. Even Bill M likes to put a tung oil finish and I only send him epoxy coated guns.
Not everyone has to own or like a Wong gun, or Merlo gun, or Riffe. To each his own and as my dad once said.....It ain't no beauty contest, as long as the gun kills fish thats all that matters.
All the above make great guns and its nice to see spearos so happy with what they use.
Yes, there were many more euro style guns at the Nationals, but that doesn't mean they are better. It just means that lots of comp guys like to use them. I was the Highest Wong gun user in the Nationals at 11th individual. Does that mean a Wong gun was better than 90 % of the competition? No...Its the indian, not the arrow. I am proud that the two girls Brandi and Sheri were using Wong guns and it should also be noted that Anne Dorherty uses one too. Two girls that are two time National champs and a four time WR holder can't be too bad. We did a count at the Last Nationals and there were fourteen wong/aimrite gun users. I also didn't count the many divers that use their own guns that they made themselves and not a stock euro brand. I saw many brands of guns at the Nationals, wooden and euro style. Unless someone was there in person, its hard to grasp what what used by many of the compettiors. I met almost all the competitors at the Nationals and they could care less what anyone used. They all enjoyed the comradery that evryone had for each other.
We also didn't count the Wong owners that use euro guns instead. I think that is more than 1 %. I have also made guns for men's world team members to use in the worlds. It just comes down to what you think will work best for you.
Each and every gun out there on the market has its time and place. Its just up to the individual to determine what is best for them.
I'm glad one gentleman has 18 guns. He is a lucky spearo to be able to have a gun for every occasion. Nothing wrong with that. I tell divers that there isn't any one gun that can do everything. Wong gun, Euro gun, whatever. I use our own Aimrite euro gun in certain situations and just have fun shooting different guns. I can use our 125cm euro gun for Onos and Tunas but I choose not to. Its just my choice. I've shot onos with a small 100cm gun, but I like to use my tree trunk for that one time an Ahi comes around.
If any spearos have any questions about our products or our waranty or just plain information, my Aimrite partner Rick and I are easy to contact. Just check our site.

Aloha, Daryl

Last edited:
Daryl Wong said:
I met almost all the competitors at the Nationals and they could care less what anyone used. They all enjoyed the comradery that evryone had for each other.
As it should be

Hi All,

I forgot to mention that today Scott was the man. He shot a beautiful Rainbow Runner. He shot it with a Wong gun.....NOT! He used an awaesome looking 65in Zebrawood and Padauk gun. Did we talk about guns? Nope, only about how much we love divng and how it can bring spearos with such diverse backgrounds togther.

Aloha, Daryl

Last edited:
EEZerik said:
70 lb WSB!!! You could have been on Roger's AND Daryl's site!!

;)

Anybody can run into a big fish. The challenge is taking them home. Yeah, so I choose to shoot smaller fish because they're not as heavy to carry. :duh

So when are we going to be seeing pictures of Dr. Erik and Mr. Eugene with dead fish on the Sumora site?

With Eugene living on both coasts with 18 guns and 20 years of spearfishing he must have TONS of pictures. How about that 100lb+ fish taken with a single band euro gun?

Many people have said spearfishing is their life and if those people didn't have pictures to show, well then it's almost like they don't really exist.

NO WAY, Scott Merlo has a SPIROS SUIT!!!

To each his own tools!
"A poor workman always blames his tools!"

I don't know when... i'm still in search of the WR sheepshead!!

Hi Erick,

If you'd like to know I have five guns. 1. tuna gun on the Ambar II that I used to use for tunas, but now I have used only my Ono gun for the last four years. This Tuna gun is gathering dust in La Paz. 2. Ono gun that I use for our pelagics and shoot tunas with now. 3. Mahi gun with 600 lb cable that I use to shoot Uluas when I check out houses, and the two primary guns that I use for everything here. 4. 50in hybrid, open tracked. And 5. the first generation euro gun that we first came out with. Both are the same exact length because being chinese, I'm pretty cheap and like to only make one set of bands for both guns. And have the same sized shaft as a spare. Those are the two I use here. The hybrid and the euro gun were used in the last Nationals. I beileve they would be a 105cm gun if compared to your euro gun. So in essance I have five guns but use only two 90 % of the time.
As mentioned before, nothing wrong with having too many guns. I wish I had enough time to use 18 guns. I wish there were that many fish here to shoot to use them. But here in Hawaii our fish are not as large on the average like yours so I use a small gun. Besides it keeps me having to rely on stealth and being a better hunter than using a longer gun. Its just my choice. There are times I wish I had a bigger gun but I have to make do with what I like to use the most.
I find that other divers should just be happy with what they have and let others decide what they want to use. You'll never find us (Aimrite partner Rick and I) try to make our guns sound better or is the gun for everything at the exspense of denergrating other brands or products. Unless you have been in our shoes or other vendors doing R and D and trying to make a go at producing the best gun possilbe which all the other manufacturers out there believe their products are, then let the products speak for themselves. Biller, JBL, Riffe all produce guns they believe in.
You have just become the distributor for Rabbitech, that's great. You have something you like enough to want to share with others. Its when other spearos start badmouthing other products that make things ugly and doesn't help others especially from guys who are known distributors of a brand.
Freediving is a very small community, we should be sharing as much knowledge with others as possible. Encourage newbies into our sport, but do it not at the exspense of badmouthing other brands to seem knowledgable. Because all this does is show others with more years of experience how much you don't know. We see others trying to reinvent the wheel, but know of many spearos who won't contribute because there is always someone who knows more at the expspense of cutting down others. It should be the other way around. We should listen to some of the guys who have ben diving longer than most of you have been alive. You learn more by listening and not by talking. One of my mentors told me once jokingly that he forgot more than I'll ever learn. But that's the beauty of it. There is always something to learn. Different fish, different places, different guns.
I have many different models of guns because of input from divers around the world and US. I'm not proud, I'm willing to listen and hear what others have to say. Theres always a better mouse trap to be built. When you think you have the greatest gun or product and stop there... you've already taken a step backwards. Same thing with our products. We won't copy another brands product or design. They worked hard for it and we wouldn't want others to do that to us although it has happened and will continue. But that means we are doing something right.
The nice thing about being a gun builder? It doesn't pay our bills and we don't count on it to. Rick and I have day jobs. Our goal is to build the best products we can make and have fun doing it. Then retire and dive around the world before we get too old. But guys like Bill M and our dive partner Pete Wolfgramm who turns 70 this year and can dive as deep as Rick and I as has a static apnea of 5min keep our hopes alive.
The Wong gun/Aimrite guns users in the last Nationals and Rhoade island ALL bought their own guns except for a local team that asked us to sponser them after they were turned down by all the sponsers they asked and of course we were last on their list, but hey they came in 8th place. And I stand corrected. Andrew Tamasese one of the young kids on the team came in 7th in the Nationals using our Aimrite railgun.
Must have been the gun.:)))))
I kind of went off topic here but the point is who cares how many guns you have,how many houses you have, where you dive how big a fish you can shoot. Its about the HUNT, the challange. Ask spearos around the world. Why do they dive and spear fish? Most will say the hunt. I have just as much fun shooting our Mu that don't get over six pounds on average , than most bigger fish. Now I get the same satisfaction shooting fish pictures with my camera. Same with when I used to dive in Southern Cal. I had more fun shooting calicos than any other fish.
And if you want to know where I went to school,...I went to your favorite rival that even Bill M loves to Hate. Too bad we had to wait so long since I as at USC to win two National championships. Sorry guys, I had to wait 22 years to gloat.
This Deeper blue is a hoot. Lets move onto greater and better things.

Aloha, Daryl

Reactions: Mr. X
Hello Daryl, thanks for the quick reply. I did not condone the inappropriate comments made and have sent my customer an email regarding this a few days ago. This does more detriment than help, though the customers have intention of helping me out.

On a more positive note,

Shot the aimrite railgun and saw Chad Johnson's Mahi and I especially liked the engraving the first time I saw it. I owned some wood guns but never seen the laminate so shiny. As I posted previously its like a truck vs a car, different guns for different purposes with the end goal THE SAME regardless of our backgrounds, locations, etc.... To have fun!!! In your video it looks like you carry this fun attitude while building your guns and shooting them.

UH OH USC!!!!You seem to know lots about my background, same ethnicity and cross rival school.

Cheers,

Erik Sun

Last edited:
Hi Erik,

I try to keep abreast of whats going on out there in the diving world. I've been a member of the FDL where I've met so many divers, and my partner Rick posts on Spearboard. Because of limited time, I handle the Deeper blue forum and He does the Spearboard but I try to read it and I couldn't help seeing the thread where everyone was talking about schools. I noticed that no one was a SC grad and they all were from other schools and saw the usual University for Spoiled Children stuff. That's like our speargun issues that sometimemes get overzealous, but again its great to see such loyal alumnae. But it never gets ugly when it comes to school rivalries and that is how it should be on this board when it comes to guns , or any other website. I've seen how other sites have thousand of members but very few posts by many except for small core groups that shout down other opinions. This stagnates the learning curve and nobody gains from it.
Diving California Kelp is very unigue and I miss it once in a while,but not the cold. Thats why I limit my dive trips to warm water places and clear vis. But I still miss all the abs and bugs we used to get.
The great thing about these forums we should take advantage of is to meet new divers that have the same passion as us. I enjoy reading about how others around the world dive in thier local area and the technigues and equiptment they use. We can learn a lot by this and take some ideas and apply it to our styles of diving. Through the FDL I have met countless divers and made so many freinds who use not only our products but others too. And because of the internet our dive community has become very small and close knit. I've taken divers from around the world diving here to see what local diving in Hawaii is all about. Many of my freinds are sponsored by other manufacturers but we still have a blast diving together. I like using any type of gun style as long as I can kill fish with it and it gives me an excuse to get wet.
One thing I don't see too much is divers talking about pole spearing. I grew up using one, but that's another story.
The sharing of information can only be to the benifit to all of us.

Aloha, Daryl

Spinal Tap,It was unfinished with reference to where the barrel meets the wood, and sold to me as a brand new gun via internet commerce (read EBAY). It did not look used at all. I will post the picture as I said when I get a DigiCam. No disrespect Mr. Wong, as I have apologized for my malignant attitude, I got a hold of a Mahi from another Florida Diver, which is the cause of my interest in the Hybrid. He was to relocate a few years back.
Much to my disappointment it was unfinished as stated above. This is not the literal translation of "unfinished wood". This did not look used at all as I stated by bands, shaft, no discoloration or scratches anywhere with the exceptions of the area where gun meets barrel, as explained. Send me Private Messages I will more than show u in due time when the DigiCam is here

Hi Eugene,

Since you decided to make a public statement on the quality of one of my guns with out emailing me personally which is very easy to do, then I will answer you here so that others can see that I don't try to hide things.
First of all I don't sell any guns unfinished...period. Two. you bought the gun through Ebay where I have never sold any guns but have seen some on sale there. So you have no basis to go on other that that it was second hand. Have you ever seen cars that have been used and detailed to look like new? Maybe you got a gun of mine that way. Where the titanium meet the wood, there is ALWAYS excess epoxy becuase it has to go somewhere besides the escape hole I put under the stock. I simply wipe the excess off and leave a bead around the barrel. And as I tell all customers or divers that get my guns even secondhand or third hand, as long as it is one of my guns the hardware and gun is waranted for life. Obviously the small things like finish and bunees are not included, but the simple fact is that you should contact me by pm if you have any problems. If you think the unfinished portion of the gun is going to cause problems feel free to ship the gun over and I will refinish it at no cost. One of my standard policies when taking care of waranties or refitting reel mounts etc is to refinish all the guns at no cost. My Mantra is to always return the product in a better condition than when it arrived. It doesn't cost much and I can sleep at night knowing that the gun is refinished and back to spec's when I ship it back out. I've even waranted guns that have gone through boat props driven over by car, fallen off the roof onto the highway, found under the ocean for who knows how long, and magled ones by owners trying to do alterations with a butter knife and ice pick. Shit happens and if the customer is honest enough to say they did something foolish then we don't mind warantying the gun.
I doubt if you will find the customer service that we provide to our customers when dealing with other manufacturers. When I started out, my policy was to treat customers as I would like to be treated by other manufacturers. But the hard truth is they don't and can't being a big company. If you were to call other companies you'd probably get a secretary or rep. Call Wong guns or Aimrite and you get the only elf in the shop that makes the guns. Unless you deal with a custom gun builder, you'll rarely get the guy who built the gun on line. So next time if you have any problems feel free to call us and we'll be happy to help you out.
No need to send any pictures because I know the gun didn't leave my shop that way. You are talking to the only elf in the shop.

Aloha, Daryl

ps. call me Daryl. My friends call me that and other names I won't mention. Strangers call me Dr. Wong, Mr Wong. Way too formal.

Reactions: Alison
Wow.... Now I wish I got a Wong instead of a Rabi. but for some reason I think I will fine something to do to it to not get the waranty. PLus most of your wong's (doesn't sound right I know) are too nice for what I do. If I ever get a boat and start doing bluewater or local Channel island kelp type stuff I will sure look at wongs first.

Sorry Erik ;)

Devin Dowdy

Devin,

No need to apologize. I'm sure you'll do fine with your Rabitech. The main thing is have fun using what you got. If you should get a hankering for another gun you can always go to the Dark side and use a hybbid wood/metal or CF gun. It is funny how the perception is that to have a gun that is very well finished like a custom gun and not want to use it or get one because of fear to put dings in it. I tell divers that the gun was made to be used, and used as often as possible. I would much rather see one of my guns come back to me looking like driftwood, all faded, dinged and scratched than one looks as good as the day it was bought because the owner was afraid to use it. At least I know its doing its job and the diver uses it as his primary gun. Thats the ultimate compliment. Many divers including myself have more than one gun and probably more than one brand. But to be the primary fish gun is the ultimate compliment.
Spearguns are like powertools to men and shoes to women....can never have too many.
Use you Rabitech and send dive reports.

Spearingfish said:
Spinal Tap,It was unfinished with reference to where the barrel meets the wood, and sold to me as a brand new gun via internet commerce (read EBAY).

Oh you bought it from EBAY, hmm how...convenient. I've only used EBAY a few times but from what I've seen there's a pretty clear distinction between items sold by private party and those sold by a business. I believe your buddy Eric just bought a watch from a company using EBAY as an additional channel. You could ask him to show you what the differences are between the two types of sellers.

Which Wong guns did you let Erik try out? So what do you think of Chad's Mahi?

Devin,

Unless you made kindling out of your Wong gun with an ax, you'd probably have the warranty. I mean look at Daryl's list of guns where he honored the warranty. I'm not sure what you mean by "too nice for what you do", but what other gun makes more sense than one with that kind of warranty? I've taken both my guns on shore, kayak, and boat dives.

Any gun will take it's share of fish in Socal . You just gotta go dive and use it.

i know the difference between a private party and a company, so your condescending tone can stop. i let him try the mahi and the hybrid 55
i don't have a friend with the name chad so i dont know what his mahi is like but i would be inclined to think its much like mine, which i like but its not my favorite gun. why do u think i was looking at hybrid? because i liked the mahi. not the case with the hybrid. as i mentioned before you got your preference and i got mine. im eager to expand my collection if i see a gun that i like.

diving with what you like is best. i always tell people this if they dive with me or come on my boat and are looking for new equipment whether it be speargun or mask, fishing light or heavy tackle. luckily i contacted erik and he spent an hour with me going over his different guns and went for a dive after and he allowed me the opportunity to shoot different guns, making sure i got to see the gun and shoot it and like it. now thats service

i have pictures but no scanner. i will take a picture of the pictures when i get digcam.

to the original poster of this message i will sell some gear online next week when i can post picture i think you were looking for a gun on another thread.

Daryl Wong said:
and magled ones by owners trying to do alterations with a butter knife and ice pick.
I just stumbled on this thread...being a non euro gun guy I didnt feel I could contribute based on the title...guess I was wrong.

I am proud to be on that list and can first hand vouch for the warranty :) I tried to strip a camo job on an Ono gun and refinish it...well when I was done it had hella epoxy in the track so off to Hawaii it goes with me being very embarassed. Well it comes back good as new, with a new trigger mech just to be on the safe side and if I remember correctly, Daryl even picked up the shipping tab for my screw up. And that was on a gun I bought second hand!

Since this encounter with Daryl, I am the proud owner of 5 different models. 2 Hybrids, MG Special, Ono, even an Aimrite railgun which though not my everyday gun the little bastards are accurate as hell(listen up euro guys...I dont give compliments easily :D) Dealing with and getting to know Daryl has been one of the highlights of my diving career. In fact, on a tight college/single income family with a newborn budget I try to find time to call him every month or so just to talk diving. I would bet there are divers out there who could say very similar things about other custom gun makers like Merlo or Kitto. I will never go back to buying a "company" gun.

Last edited:
Spearingfish said:
as i mentioned before you got your preference and i got mine. ...diving with what you like is best. i always tell people this if they dive with me or come on my boat and are looking for new equipment whether it be speargun or mask, fishing light or heavy tackle.

Dont try to be a nice guy now that Daryl has called you out :ko Do you not remember anything you said on the other threads...the hybrid "wasnt worth it"
and Riffe guns were no good either. In fact you called the Rabbi superior in every way. Never once...even after many rounds with me...did you say what works for me might not work for you. Even after Erik said it you wouldnt. In fact this is the first time you have said anything remotely like that here.

This is getting interesting...how long have you had the Rabbi now? Cant be long if Erik was the rep because that hasnt been long. How many trips have you been on with the gun or has it just been at one of your plethora of houses in the pool? I find this funny because you have stated and restated the fact that this gun is far superior but if you've only had it 2 months....

The rabbi could be the greatest thing sinced sliced bread for you, I wont deny that. Sounds like you had great service from Erik and I would expect that just from knowing him on DB...he definately is top notch. Sounds like he made a customer for life, which is his intent. Same thing that happened to me when I came across Daryl. Just be big enough to admit that there is no one best gun because all hunters are not the same...I LOVE wong guns and will probably never shoot anything else but I am not foolish enough to think that it is the right gun for everyone else.

Congrats on finding your dream gun, you only had to go through 17 of them to find it :) I hope it kills many big fish for you and we can read the stories here. I look forward to hopefully moving past all this(we will, this isnt the first time things like this have happened here.). I know Erik and Daryl will be glad when we do rofl

Funny thing is Eugene...had we met in person, we would probably all gotten along great and shared many stories about hunting and guns without getting in a pissing match. The impersonal nature of the internet has a wierd effect sometimes.

Dive Safe,
Mike "Long Wong" Freeman :king

Last edited:
Not that Daryl needs any help in defending his reputation, but as to the quality of his products, I'll put it like this- Being a woodworking and machining kind of guy, I used Daryl's excellent craftsmanship and design as the model for my own hybrid and I'll tell you, I didn't save any money doing it that way.

If I didn't have the facilities and nine fingers to build my own guns, Daryl's guns would be on my racks. Thanks for the aloha Daryl.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT