• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Picasso Cent Pacific or RA or Rabitech..

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
rigdvr said:
This is getting interesting...how long have you had the Rabbi now? ...you've only had it 2 months....

Good luck getting an answer on this one. I've asked him the same. I've also asked him to show pictures and share pool test results. He's promised to show pictures of his pictures though.

rigdvr said:
Congrats on finding your dream gun, you only had to go through 17 of them to find it :) I hope it kills many big fish for you and we can read the stories here.

In his exchanges with you he recommended that you go and read ALL his posts before responding. I took his advice and read all his posts on this website and on SB because I thought he's given evidence of why Rabitechs were so superior (either big dead fish or pool test results). Here's what I learned about Spearingfish on those posts:

Spearingfish may have added most of those guns between late Nov. 04' and mid Jan. 05 because Eugene's first post about his gun collection included:

Travel Polespear
Omer
Riffe
ABBiller

Over the couse of a little over a month he added:

Picasso
Rob Allen
Wongs (at least two: Mahi and Magnum hybrid)

But he recommends Merlo and Kitto wood guns even though he doesn't say he owns either.

Oh wait but there's more...he also gained over five years of diving/spearfishing over the course of 12 days when on Jan. 7, 05' he said that he's been diving for 15 years, but then in a post on Jan. 19th he up that number to 20 years.

But then this is the internet after all and in another post I tell everyone that I like to model red bikinis. :yack I also have two houses and spend most of my time at the one on Saturn, but my right foot resides in the one on Uranus. :confused: rofl

Last edited:
No worries Spinal. Im just curious how he got a magnum hybrid off ebay already...there arent very many of them out there since its such a new design, correct me if Im wrong Daryl. But in the big picture his Rabbi might just be the perfect gun for him and I am happy he found it. But some of his comment are way out of line. I am going to give him another chance at a first impression and see where his attitude goes from here. We all can get a little wound up at times. Lets see how he deals with the backlash.
Safe hunting to all, regardless of the name on your gun
Mike

rigdvr said:
Safe hunting to all, regardless of the name on your gun
Mike

Amen!!! Good luck guys, the season is just around the corner!!!! At the moment it's CALICO SEASON (southern CA)!!!

I started working with Sumora at the end of October (31ST).

Again best of luck, post pictures, no matter what gun you use. (Stories and camaradarie is the best thing about this sport!!!)

Erik Sun

P.s. I think I broke my wrist wrestling!!! its hard to type this!

rigdvr said:
No worries Spinal. Im just curious how he got a magnum hybrid off ebay already...there arent very many of them out there since its such a new design, correct me if Im wrong Daryl.

I was thinking of the same thing and that's why I emailed Daryl thinking he'd remember either Eugene or an unfinished Magnum hybrid. We know the answer to that one.

I don't think Daryl's sold too many magnum hybrids yet, so it'd be easy for him to call each customer with one and ask if anyone's sold their gun on ebay.

Nah, Daryl's probably already months behind making guns already and it doesn't prove anything we don't already know.

This is my first post on this forum. I only came over and read it because someone told me my name was being mentioned. Now I see that it was in the context of discrediting Spinal Tap's opinion on Wong guns because he was a friend of mine.

Yes, he is a friend of mine, and yes, I own Wong guns, but I fail to see how his being a friend of mine is really relevant. I own five Wong guns because I like the product, and even if I was on commission, I'm too cheap to share with Spinal Tap just because he happens to like Wong guns too.

The subject of my being suspended from Freedivelist was mentioned. While I don't see what that has to do with this thread, I feel compelled to elaborate now that it was mentioned. The Freedivelist has rules prohibiting political discussions and flaming. I am well aware of those rules because I was once the list manager responsible for enforcement. About 2 months before the last Presidential election, a list member from Australia made some wise crack about Bush, and I took the bait and enlarged on it, going over the line with a one sentence response. The present list manager suspended me until after the election, and I agree with his decision.

Now on to the allegation that I have changed the tone of the Spearboard. When I joined, I found that political discussions were not only permitted, but were ongoing in the Off Topic Forum. All of the opinions being expressed were pro-Bush and pro-Iraq invasion. As a retired Marine, I don't think this war is worth the lives of young Marines and I said so. Then I learned that Spearboard also has no prohibition against flaming and name calling, and I got a lot of it. So yes, the tone sure changed. Before I came along, everyone who actively posted was in agreement on everything, and so I upset the status quo. I was also one of a couple of people who questioned the advisability of spearfishing tournaments because I was afraid they would get my sport outlawed, and this was also met with a lot of flaming and name calling, and that certainly changed the tone.

Please don't think I came here to argue the war or tournaments. I only mention these things as partial explanation for why my name was being taken in vain. I'm sure my view of this matter is one-sided and biased, but in any case I don't see why "Eugene" felt it was relevant to a discussion of Wong guns. Some may think I'm an asshole, but that shouldn't reflect on the quality of the guns I happen to use or the guy who makes them.

Now to the subject of the thread, and I'll shut up. I have owned Wong guns since getting my first one in 1997. I like them, but I don't think they are the only gun that works, and in fact I have taken divers from all over the country and the world out diving on my boat and we enjoyed ourselves no matter what brand they used. It really isn't important to me what gun you use. If someone asks me what I like, I tell him, but unlike some in this forum, I don't have a financial stake in manufacture or distribution of the product.

Daryl mentioned the ridiculous mistakes by customers that he has backed up with his warranty, and I am one of the most egregious examples. I left a couple of guns including my Wong hybrid hanging over the side on clip-lines when I got under way to pull the anchor. The bands wrapped up in the Duo-Props and before the engine stalled, the muzzle was torn off and the shaft was ripped out of the trigger mechanism, destroying it. I sheepishly emailed Dayl and told him what I had done and ordered another mechanism, and he told me it was warranted- period- and sent me a new one. As you can imagine, this made me a loyal customer ever since.

Try that one with another gun maker, especially one of the mass-production ones, and see what sort of response you get.

About the unfinished issue- as Daryl said, he knows I prefer guns that I can just rub with Tung oil rather than having to worry about eventual dings to a hard finish, but he insists on sending me the damn things with a hard finish. A dive buddy of mine wanted a hybrid and asked Daryl how much money he could save if the gun was shipped unfinished, and Daryl responded that he refused to ship one unfinished. With that background, I find it highly unlikely that this gun purchased from Ebay left Daryl in an unfinished state.

Once more, I am sorry to be over here discussing things that went on on other forums. If no one brings that sort of thing up again, then I won't feel compelled to waste everyone's time with a response.

Bill McIntyre
San Clemente, CA
billmac22@cox.net

Last edited:
Nice of you to explain Bill. I agree with 99 % of what you said but I don't think other gun makers that don't offer a lifetime warrenty give any less customer service or make
products that are substandard.You have to look at it from there side . They build guns to make money and they don't have another job .There workers have to get paid too. If a company like omer started fixing guns that the customers ruined who
would pay the cost?They would either raise the cost of there guns or tell some of the employees that they can't afford to keep them and I don't think they would do that. "If someone asks me what I like, I tell him, but unlike some in this forum, I don't have a financial stake in manufacture or distribution of the product". I'm glad to hear you say that and it's good to know i'm not the only person that sees it.

take care .

I have become a big fan of the Rabitech guns lately. I have quite a few other guns. When Im line shooting I bring 2 RTs from the quiver. If we are freeshafting I prefer my 50 inch Wong reef gun with enclosed track. Theres plenty of good guns around so it seems kinda silly to say "my favorite brand is better than yours".

Last edited:
Spinal,
Who are you? Thanks for bringing me in here for no reason. That was cool. Look, I have that gun and I keep it around in case I get it figured out one day. It is a beautiful piece of work, and I have never said anything about that. However, I do not prefer it for shooting. Learning from past experiences, I am happy to leave it at that- until someone posts something about me on a forum I seldom even read!

I will take this opportunity to apologize to Daryl is he feels I have insulted him or Rick personally. That is low and sucks about as much as Spinal doing what he did. I may come into a situation where it is right one day, so I keep it around.

I am not affiliated with any company sponsorship-wise at this point. I bought my first Rabitech and then tested a couple of other things for them. I am in the process of buying stuff from them now. I like the people at Rabitech and Sumora and have gotten to know them. I think they have an awesome product that has niche in the American market. For that, I try to help them out when I can. Truth be told, I got the gear I tested for Rabitech and the hybrid I have at about the same time. I prefer one over the other, that is it.

Last edited:
THIS is why I bought a Rabitech! :

Attachments

• spearchick.jpg
    spearchick.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 268
Reactions: Mr. X
Erik,

I think you need to put freedive snipers picture on the Sumora Site. You'd get a spike in Rabi sales.

WoW... How is it i don't see women like her at the beach but the other week i saw a 50-60 year old hippie woman in Laguna Beach Topless sunbathing. When she got up i thought her breasts were going to injure her knees. This brings hope to us all!

This chick is HOT!!! Trust me, she is staring at me in that photo and I'm not kidding. :duh
Estonia.....another world I tell you.

Cheers,
Mikko

RabiDeath said:
Spinal,
Who are you? Thanks for bringing me in here for no reason. That was cool. Learning from past experiences, I am happy to leave it at that- until someone posts something about me on a forum I seldom even read!

That is low and sucks about as much as Spinal doing what he did.

hmmm, I didn't bring you into anything. If you're the same person I corresponded with on another website (using a different handle on this website?) then you must be referring to what I wrote here:

I know of only one other guy in Florida that has repeatedly claimed his hybrid missed most of the fish he's ever attempted to shoot, and he's taken it out many hundreds of times. Instead of contacting Daryl to explain his situation, he goes on the internet and badmouths the gun (a gift from his father) without giving any detail as to why the gun is failing him. Rick Bettua (Daryl's partner) even offered to buy the gun back from him at full price. At least two people (including myself) have offered to trade him any new Rabitech for it. What I don't understand about that guy and to a lesser extent you is...why don't you call Daryl on his lifetime warranty? If you're that unsatisfied with it, tell him about it (or don't) and demand he fix it.

I believe the above is an accurate summation of my correspondence with that person (you?). What of that is not accurate or make you (RabiDeath) feel I've wronged or smeared you?

I fail to see what is "low" about in what I wrote.

I posted nothing about YOU. I don't know YOU. My post contained no names or even handles...just a GUY in Florida and a summation of his experience with a hybrid.

Just because YOU fit the story doesn't mean it's about YOU. And if it so happens to be about YOU, it would only be "LOW" if I made this stuff up.

Hey Spinal,
Maybe I over reacted. I am actually realizing that I may have a defective gun and that it can be fixed to my liking. After missing a trophy fish with it in August, I vowed to never use it again, but I had it out for another try last weekend when I was diving with a loyal Wong user. After comparing it to three of his guns, he said that mine was definitely an anomoly and I agree that it was not the same. If you look at all my posts, I complained about the trigger mech. My trigger pulls back almost an inch before releasing the spear and that is just not acceptable. I didn't realize that every Wong wasn't like this until a week ago. I think the problem may be with the length of the push rod in the mid-handle. When I get a chance, I am going to try and contact Daryl or Rick to see how to get it fixed. If that is it, I will eat crow until the cows come home.

I will say that the whole thing has been frustrating. Given, I should have gone to the source from the beginning, but I thought I was talking to people in the know. I spent money switching spears/bands etc until someone on another board mentioned the part about the push rod. My guess is that if someone's Rabitech didn't shoot right out of the box, they would bitch to high hell and never give it the second, third, fourth, fifth...eighth chance. I got both guns at the same time, so that is where I am coming from.

Last edited:
RabiDeath said:
If you look at all my posts, I complained about the trigger mech.

I didn't get the feeling you were complaing about the trigger mech in many of your posts regarding this subject. I remember reading the post where you had an epiphany regarding the trigger mech. In my opinion, your previous posts about your gun were not in the best form and I think that's what prompted Rick to offer a full refund. This is not to smear you in anyway, but merely an explanation of how I read your posts. I believe many others thought your posts were in bad form as well. That's all history though.

I also want to reiterate that I never intended to make you look like a bad guy. I brought your experience up on this thread because I couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't contact Daryl or Rick up and complain to them first...that's all. I don't believe any of my posts about you or in response to you were attacks in anyway. I really was prepared to buy you a Rabitech to trade you for your Wong.

I hope everything works out with your gun. You'll find Daryl and Rick to be two of the best.

Last edited:
Hi Blake,

Its come to my attention that you have been having problems with your
speargun. You've had it now for quite sometime since you got it as a
surprise birthday gift from your dad. If only everyone could be so lucky to
have a father like yours. He is a class act and it was so nice to work with
him. And even better that he dives with you. We have a lot in common. My
dad started me out diving at eight years old and it is because of him that I
am what I am today. Your dad said he wanted nothing but the best for you
and it was fun to be in on the birthday gift for you.

I first heard about your difficulties when someone sent me some posts you
wrote in a public forum. I figured if you had that much of a problem you'd
try to contact me like everyone else does. I usually don't post on forums
but check out various ones from time to time. I don't want to seem like an
infomercial like I've seen others do. This is fun for me, not a job.

I rarely have problems with my guns probably because I always try to keep
track of them by keeping in contact with spearos who buy guns from me.
Usually when I sell a gun it is because I have been contacted and I go
through a process of emailing back and forth and talking by phone to the
customer. This helps identify and prioritize what the diver wants out of
his gun, which helps us come to a decision of what would be the best gun for
him. The only times I don't have direct contact is when a wife, girlfriend,
or in your case, a father, orders a gun for their loved one. The other
times are when we donate guns (which is about twenty or more a year to
various tournaments or charities). You just happen to be in this catergory,
and I'm sorry we didn't get to talk. Maybe we could have come up with a
different gun for you.

I feel for you when you say you missed a trophy fish. Losing confidence in
a gun is the worse thing that can happen. Golf pros call this "the yips".
Any time you have to think about shooting a fish you've already thought too
much about it. " Point and shoot "is how it should be.

Anyway, the point is that you seem to be unhappy with how your gun performs
and I 'm offering to take a look at it. Just contact me and I'll be happy
to see what can be done. Maybe this is not the gun for you. You seem to be
a eurostyle guy and you have a midhandled gun. I wish you had mentioned your
problem to Rick when you met him at the St Pete's open last year. We could
have saved you a lot of frustration.
Contact me at www.wongspearguns.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Aloha,
Daryl

I most certainly will. Thanks for the offer. Sorry for going about it the wrong way before. I talk to GR about it all the time, but that isn't going to the source like I should have. I think the gun is right and that we can work it out.

I'd agree with Bill.

I wrote Daryl some time ago with a few questions about his guns. What i got surprised me. Not only did he respond personally but he responded with a long, informative email that adressed all the issues and it was evident that he clearly cared about my questions.

Daryl is a man that truly cares about his work. I don't know him like Bill does but it's evident in his response to me and in the way he adress issues from his customers, be it positive, or "not so positive" (i'm sure he hardly comes across the latter) I'm looking to buy two more guns. I have my heart set on a railgun. Not sure brand yet. Probly RA or Rabbi, and a bluewater gun for WSB and Tuna. I will most definetly go Wong. Where else can you get customer service and quality like that. You pay a little more, but this is truly a case of getting what you pay for. Lifetime warenty and a quality product (listen to BM's story about breaking the mech of his gun and Daryl still replacing it after Bill was honest with him).

I'm very new to the sport and still haven't even taken a WSB or YT or anything big, but it's nice to know this sport hasn't been ruined yet and that there are still good people to look to as mentors like Daryl Wong (And BIll Macintyre too)

-Mike Crossen

calispearo said:
I'd agree with Bill.

I wrote Daryl some time ago with a few questions about his guns. What i got surprised me. Not only did he respond personally but he responded with a long, informative email that adressed all the issues and it was evident that he clearly cared about my questions.

-Mike Crossen

Its not surprising that the response came from him personally since there is no one else there. Its a one-man company and he makes every gun himself.

What is surprising is that he still has time to treat each customer individually. He is a dentist by day and makes all those guns in a shop behind his house at night and still manages to go diving every weekend that the weather permits. I don't know when he sleeps.

Anyway, your experience was typical. Its nice to deal with someone so genuinely nice and friendy, and the warranty really is for real.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT