• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Project "Carbon strongback gun"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

foxfish

Silver Smoker
Dec 31, 2005
I will be attempting to build a 130cm twin band gun based around a carbon fiber backbone.
Never having used CF before this might be an interesting build!
So far we has discussed some of my plans here http://forums.deeperblue.com/spearo-board/85584-possible-new-gun.html & this is the design I have decided to follow.
First steps of the actual construction involve making a former to cast the CF.
I did this by planing up some softwood & allowing for a 20mm solid muzzle end & a 14mm housing for the trigger.
I covered the wood in parcel tape & in turn waxed the tape in an attempt to stop the epoxy sticking!
I found the CF quite difficult to work with as I expected it to bend once wet like fiberglass but it seemed very reluctant to take the corners.
Anyhow I got the stuff on in the end - Just hope it sets over night....

Attachments

• P1000702.JPG
    P1000702.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 451
  • P1000709.JPG
    P1000709.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 382
  • P1000710.JPG
    P1000710.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 394
  • P1000711.JPG
    P1000711.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
good stuff foxfish, looking forward to watching your progress:friday

I removed the strogback from the former.
Firstly I would say "success" in that the former came apart & the structure is accurate, straight & smooth.

Secondly I would say it is miles to thin!

I applied 6 layers of 200gr weave but I think I clamped it to tight, although it appears to be pretty strong I will need to add more CF to get the desired cosmetic effect & additional strength.
Not going to be a problem just a learning curve.....
Another observation is just how ridiculously light the CF is....
I wonder if I had used glassfibre if it would of been just as good, I want the strongback to be visible & noticeable & that is going to take a lot of CF probably unnecessary in the strength stakes?

Attachments

• P1000716.JPG
    P1000716.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 462
Reactions: strangelove
Your cheating....:) That cool looking pet would make any thing look good.
Great progress mate.
Cheers, Don

Last edited:
Reactions: strangelove
I have been thinking that I really want the strongback to be about 6mm thick, at the moment it is about 2mm.
I was wondering if I should apply a couple of layer of glass fiber with epoxy & then top that off with another layer of 375gr CF?
Don, just goes to show how naive I have been, thinking all those green carbon guns were factory coloured!

Last edited:
I have been doing some revision & it seems using glass fibre to bulk up CF is fine but you have to use a special type of mat.
The same style as polyester emulsion bound mat but held together with a powder binder.
When using Epoxy resins with CSM, powder bound mat must be used.
It is because the styrene in polyester resin breaks down the bonding agent in the standard mat but epoxy wont.

theres them very interested ferrets again :)
it looks like its gunna be another masterpeice :)

Reactions: foxfish
So I went down to our epoxy shop, the only shop we have that sells epoxy, & its closed!
The poor guy had a hart attack & shut up shop for good so I cant get any materials locally - the joys of living on a small island!
Next step was to get on the phone only to discover no one will send any form of epoxy products, liquid or paste through the post from England!!:confused:
All I want is a tub of black pigment & some black graphite powder but the courier wants £30 just for postage. This means I will have order from a local hardware store & wait possibly weeks or fork out the dosh :vangry
Whatever it will put a stop to this weekends potential work.

Good things take time...we will be here......Pub Crawl......:friday
Cheers, Don

Patience is not my strong point - made the online order....black pigment, black graphite powder, more CF cloth, powder bound matting & some very fine fiberglass weave designed to give a clear top coat. £s dont ask:t

I just realised this gun will need a reel or at least a reel mounting point - I have never used a reel, I have no idea how a real fits to a gun.
Is there a dove tail mount?

Depends on the Reel you want to use with it? some are dovetails others are bolted on, depends. most manufacturers have their own unique mount so one of 2 things

- select a reel you like from a manufacturer and use a compatible mount
- create your own masterpiece and mounting system?

or scrap the reel all together and organise it so that a nice strong tow point is at the back of the gun for a good float line setup to be used.

just couple of options.

DD

Mart: the dovtails are common on rail guns, the non-rail guns often use a round-the-barrel type clamp.

You have a ton of options, but for sure, I would recommend you start by buying the reel of your fancy, that in hand, the fitting should be easy.

Thanks - I have allowed for a fixing in front of the trigger by modifying the former & there will be no problem about fixing a line to the rear of the gun - I just need the ordered materials to go forward :head

I made a new former today, I trued up some soft wood & screwed the components to a 18mm ply base to make sure it would stay dead straight.
I used a 8mm length of S/S rod to act as a spear rail & covered the former in duck tape.
I applied loads of wax coats to all the former pieces & used the chopped stand mat to bulk out the carbon backbone.
The mat was then given a top layer of CF tape & then the backbone was clamped into the former - fingers crossed for tomorrow when I try to open it up.

Attachments

• P1000720.JPG
    P1000720.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 326
  • P1000721.JPG
    P1000721.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 304
I notice allot of the reels are high priced.?. When you can get a cheap fly rod reel for under 10$.

JC

Cheep fly reels don't last long in salt water, and imagine what a nice wahoo
would do with it.
Don Paul

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT