• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Putting on a wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pav

Nov 1, 2005
:confused: :eek:

I have always used my last seasons surfing suit for spearfishing. I have recently acquired a CressiSub Competition wetsuit. It is not this years suit. This one has mettalite over open cell.

Now i'm used to tugging / pulling / forcing myself in and out of my wetsuit with no care in the world! I understand these diving suits require a bit more care? Water / soap? etc. Can i have some straight forward advice on how I should treat this suit and get into and out of it easily? Thanks.

Well personally I use a weak solution of antibacterial soap in a plant sprayer (an atomiser). Some hunters believe soap can put off the fish! but that's what I do!

foxfish said:
Well personally I use a weak solution of antibacterial soap in a plant sprayer (an atomiser). Some hunters believe soap can put off the fish! but that's what I do!
I quote foxfish: no problem with fish if you don't put too much soap in it.
Traditional tip: here's one tip for the cold season (or for early in the morning): to avoid the sensation of a cold and wet suit on your warm and dry skin (that's discouraging), you can make your soap solution with hot water, and keep it warm using a thermic bottle (don't know the correct name in english: those bottles with alluminium inside and threaded cork).
Chemical tip: http://www.subskin.it/eng/home.html

Hair conditioner mixed with water in a spray bottle works too.

Thanks to both the replies.. this forum is so quick and reliable! Its great.

Thermos bottle - great tip. I was not very keen about this wet wetsuit thing. I usually go to great troubles in drying my suit out so I don't have to put on a cold one!

Other than the soap solution is it like putting on a standard wetsuit (that is you push your foot in and then peel it back up your leg..). or do you actually slip / slide your leg down the length of the suit?.. Can you get into your suits without a solution / or does it just make it easier?

sorry to sound so daft!.. but I'd rather look daft here than on the beach!

Reactions: Douglas Eaton
I slip/slide into the arms and legs.

Some people prefer to spray the solution on their bodies to ensure good coverage, while others spray it into the suit.

If there is a cold wind blowing, then spraying it on your body is a short term challenge.

What ever solution! you choose, as long as you use some solution! you really do slip quite easily into your suit.

Last edited:
Hiya

And for when you forget the soapy water at home:vangry :vangry , simply immerse the whole wetsuit in the sea water and put on quickly!!! Not as comfortable or as warm as the warm soapy water, but works better than trying to put on a dry open cell!!

I've also seem many spearo's use aquaeos cream. They rub it on their skin and then put the wetsuit on. Available at ALL phamacy's!!

Regards
miles

Sounds like I've got the same suit as you Pav.

Mines a 3/4 year old Cressi spearfishing competition suit. It's a 2 part - long john with separate jacket, hood attached, no zip. Inside is "Metalastic" over open cell while outer is super stretch nylon. All 5mm thick.

I never use any lube if it's dry and actually none if it's wet either. However wet is harder, so try to dry it before next trip.

These suits are super, super stretchy and almost one size fits all. Well not quite but almost.

I wear skinny trunks and nout else underneath, even in winter. If your sweaty like on a hot summer day I dry off. Occasionally I use talc which many consider a No-No but usually I don't need anything.

I strip to trunks and sit on the tailgate of my van. Put left leg in through the neck hole of the long johns. Pull/push until foot comes out and suit is wrinkled around your knee. Do same with right leg then stand and pull up over waist and chest before inserting arms through holes and voila half done.

Jacket is more trouble but not too bad when you've got the knack. I put left arm right in wrinkling up the suit on my chest. Next up insert the right arm all the way. Okay then it's stick in your head and wriggle. Your head gets a bit stuck in the neck so its time to flap your arms (slowly) like a bird and that usually does it.Fold back your hood for comfort and do up the jock strap. Don't forget your boots and hey presto you're done.

Getting your suit off can be a much bigger pain especially in winter. Sometimes I just drive home in my suit and get in the shower before stripping off. Even occasionally in my suit me and the wife go in the bedro...... oopps sorry - edit that out.

Well getting dressed in rubber is half the fun and if you don't know how - Ask?

Dave

Reactions: Pav
Hair conditioner here - I tried dry a few times. Doable but the suit was getting damaged. Most critical area is the region along the sides near the arms - and the arms themselves.

foxfish said:
Some hunters believe soap can put off the fish! but that's what I do!
Maybe we should be using fish oil to attract the fish in!:D Neoprene is known for its oil resistance (several wetsuit companies suggest baby oil to help get in). Smear on a fresh can of sardines and you are set for a day's spearing;).

spaghetti said:
a thermic bottle (don't know the correct name in english: those bottles with alluminium inside and threaded cork).
We generally call them a Thermos, Thermos flask or flask ... Thermos is/was also the name of the dominant manufacturer.

The proper lube that Spaghetti mentions might be good, I believe it contains glycerine, which is a sweet, edible, lubricant which does not react with latex rubber as mineral oil does (guess what else it is used for).

I currently use: Very dilute hair conditioner, a flask of warm (NOT hot) water & a spray bottle. Not happy with the spray bottle though, it "atomizes" the warm water chilling it (which is how a refridgerator works) - so it always feels cold -- however, it is good for coating large areas quickly without waste. I am looking for something better though -- maybe a something like a Fairy/Dove/Eco washing-up detergent bottle? Maybe one of those hotdog stand squeeze bottles would be good.

I highly recommend digging around the Eliossub website for their instructions for putting on a spearo wetsuit [<-just click the link...or go to the catalog->spearo section & then press "Click Here") -- their head-first technique works well & avoids some of the common tear stresses. I usually revisit the site when I haven't suited up in a while for a refresher!

Last edited:
I have had Cressi metallite finish suits in past and could put them on without any lube/conditioner/water. :)

........................and make sure your toe nails are cut :vangry !

Jim

Attachments

• rips.JPG
    rips.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: spaghetti and Mr. X
Great tips :) thanks.

The suit arrived yesterday. I was on my own and didn't want to have to call the neighbours around to help me out of it! :naughty

No lube! , as old man dave suggested, using the same suit.

Trousers easy.

Jacket, arm + head and then other arm (alike the link from MrX). Not that easy, but much easier than I was expecting!

Having walked around the house for a while in it and checking myself out in the mirror (is it ok to do that??) I tried to remove it.

Getting the jacket of caused me a bit of a panic! I again went for the webpage link technique. Rolled it up high. Then reached for the beaver tail (i was panicing at this stage as I didn't want to call the neighbours in and explain why I was stuck in wetsuit at 9pm when the wife was out). reaching the beaver tail was just so I could then grab the main part of the suit (i'd read the warnings about pulling the beavers tail ?!) . With the main part of the suit in my grasp I lifted it over my head and then pulled my arms out.

Suprised to how easy it turned out to be.

Really pleased with the suit (2nd hand, but in great condition). Amazed how wet I was from sweat by the time i took it of. Hopefully it will be warmer than my last years sufers suit.

Old man Dave (or others with a similar suit?), how do you find the suit warmth wise?... Spring / Summer / Autumn / Winter??

Pav No lube! said:
Well I am glad you managed alright without the lube but I still think you would find a big difference if you did.
Yeah I normally check out a new suit from various angles in the mirror.
You may also find it easier to take off if you use lube?

Reactions: Pav
These suits like other similar modern spearo suits are more than adequate for all year round UK fishing.

Feeling cold, however, is always partly psychological. Good vis and lots of fish equals warmth, poor vis and/or no fish equals brass monkeys.

Then there's build. If you're thin or muscley and have minimal blubber then you're gonna freeze in winter. Built like Mr Blobby and you hardly need a suit at all.

As a rough guide I find in the summer/autumn at water temps of 15-18 degrees, time is unlimited, re getting cold. Winter/spring with minimum 7 degrees one hour is okay but 2 hours is possible. In between times I usually do 1.5 - 2 hours in confort.

Dive times are more tide, tiredness, weather, other commitments limited rather than temperature. In the fishy season I like to go for a couple of hours every day I can when conditions allow.

Check out our winter diving scene. We all use similar suits (I've got the extra blubber though). http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=64444&page=4

Dave

Hi Pav,
The way you describe it reminded me of American Pie 2 rofl. (Just make sure you get the right tube!).

Not sure why you grabbed the beaver tail though. Fold jacket up your body. One arm across body & grab bottom of jacket. Ditto the other arm. Pull up & off in one movement.

As long as you don't suffocate, glue yourself in or tear anything -- you are probably doing OK.;)

[Don't forget to check out the thread on Pissettes / Bec du Canards -- essential reading for all wetsuit owner & aspiring wetsuit owners :D]

ahh that pissette thread. rofl rofl rofl that provided me with some good laughs. rofl there were actually a few threads on pissettes werent there? oh quick question. do you wear anything under a wetsuit, i.e. rashguards, other suits etc? or do we all just go commando? and somewhere i heard that you can not wear sunblock with wetsuits as it eats away at the neoprene. is this true?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT