• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Putting on a wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re. "going commando" - A gentlemen doesn't tell.;)

I just wear trunks (AmE: "speedos"). "Rash guard", is that a lycra vest or 2mm neoprene vest? No, I don't use one. I think the idea with open-cell wetsuits is to get them to stick to your skin & keep out the water -- & it works well. I am not sure if adding extra clothing would help or hinder (perhaps one of the lady divers would know better?). Certainly with a 5mm open-cell spearo suit, I would not want any additional insulation -- plenty hot enough already.

Nor sure about sunblock. Obviously you don't need it while wearing the suit. A key property of neoprene is its resistance to oil (unlike regular carbon latex rubber) - I wouldn't push it unnecessarily but I wouldn't be too worried about occasional exposure either, just clean it off afterwards. Several wetsuit companies actually suggest using baby oil (mineral oil) to help get suits on. However, some suits are made with adhesives that are affected by oil (there is an example of a suit coming apart in one of the old threads) -- although neoprene-based glues are readily available.

Nylon linings are a different matter. I believe nylon is degraded by exposure to oils. (I believe climbing ropes are made from a type of nylon -- you generally keep them well away from oil, petrol, batteries,...).

Last edited:
Reactions: Pav
When hook and line fishing i use ivory brand name soap to help keep my hand scent off of my lures. I mainly use it while bass fishing. It dosent seem to bother the fish, as i have actually caught yellow bullheads (catfish) with pieces of soap.

Reactions: Mr. X
Did anyone actually find the java link on the eliosub page about how to put on a wetsuit?

I remember seeing it a couple of years back....... but it seems to have gone.

Any help?

DevonDiver said:
Did anyone actually find the java link on the eliosub page about how to put on a wetsuit?

I remember seeing it a couple of years back....... but it seems to have gone.

Any help?
I added the link to a couple of threads. It is tricky to find -- I think it was a link off the spearo wetsuit page. If that doesn't work try using google to find it in the site (I've been through this exercise several times already). The method is basically head (& arm) first.

[The link is actually on the first page of THIS thread! http://forums.deeperblue.net/showpost.php?p=587234&postcount=12]

Last edited:
Old Man Dave said:
Feeling cold, however, is always partly psychological. Good vis and lots of fish equals warmth, poor vis and/or no fish equals brass monkeys.
That's true. When I am outdoors and doing something fun/useful, I don't care about cold water, rain, snow etc. When I am indoors in a cold pool, swimming lengths and feeling cold, lonely, bored, tired and frustrated, it's a different matter. I'm the biggest complainer about cold pools.

Mr. X said:
As long as you don't suffocate, glue yourself in or tear anything -- you are probably doing OK.;)
That's true. rofl

As someone has already said, we have an article on the Elios way of putting on/off a wetsuit.

A few of us over here use Carex body wash ( meant to be anti bacterial and smells quite nice). In winter we also tend to use hot water in a bottle ( normally just a Evian or similar ).

One thing which is really good is that we fill a water container ( around 25 litres - one of the white ones ) with hot water and leave in the back of the car wrapped in towels. We have made a small submersible pump that runs off a car cigarette lighter and has a garden hose attachment ( you can get them from chandlers for about £12 ). Drop the pump into container and hey presto a hot power shower. Great for filling up your suit before you take it off. When you have finished, your towels are nice and warm too.

I can post some pics if anyone is interested.

David

I use Carex. Some people find it irritates their skin, but I've never had any trouble.

daviesd said:
One thing which is really good is that we fill a water container ( around 25 litres - one of the white ones ) with hot water and leave in the back of the car wrapped in towels. We have made a small submersible pump that runs off a car cigarette lighter and has a garden hose attachment ( you can get them from chandlers for about £12 ). Drop the pump into container and hey presto a hot power shower. Great for filling up your suit before you take it off. When you have finished, your towels are nice and warm too.
Genius! Who said taking your wetsuit off had to be cold and miserable?

I'm new at it but take a quick dip to wet myself and then dip the suit. Spray myself with soapy water and put it on. Worked great so far.

Yippeee! :) sat at my computer having successfully put on my suit for the first time...... yep - still wearing it! C'mon guys - who hasn't spent that first evening, striding manfully around the house clad in rubber! :inlove

OK - now to consider taking the damn thing off again - hopefully without tearing it to pieces in the process.

The definite good news is that I picked the right size from the Cressi range, and I kinda like the way the Apnea looks. Feeling good about my purchase so far!

Thanks for the links folks, between those and taking an angle grinder to my toenails, we have avoided any major mishaps with the new purchase.

Keep well.

Rgds Ian (Newbie from Lyme Bay in the UK!)

Reactions: Almostafish
Glad you like your new wetsuit. Just leave your wetsuit on -- it'll save time next time you go diving;). See above link, lower series of images for instructions on removal. Did you lube it?

Monsieur X

Yep - lubed for removal but not as shown. My thinking being, that the lube applied to the exterior, eases exterior surface friction for smoothskin suits. Not required for the nylon outer on the Apnea......... BUT thought relubing the interior was an idea!

So, the by now ice cold lube was chucked down the front and arms of the suit.

Call it incentive - but I had the suit off and was towelling dry in about 1.3 seconds!! :)

Rgds Ian

I turn my suit inside out, slip the ankle part of the suit over my feet, invert at the ankles and basically roll it up my body. Same sequence with the jacket, but be sure you have it positioned correctly to prevent facing into your atached hood.

Stick it to-em (fish that is)

Michael

Don't forget to use lots of lube after the Christmas festivities - suit might be a little tighter:D.

Last edited:
there was a thread some time ago regarding using KY jelly as a lube well i thought it was a bit pricey so i found in mole valley farmers animal husbandry thick lube £1-95 for a litre its apparently so mild it wont even kill sperm end quote.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT