• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

RIB advice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

which RIB should i get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marwan

Gear Buying addict
Supporter
Sep 3, 2005
ok ive been toying with the idea of good kayak versus RIB for spearfishing and i believe i will get a RIB, question is which one..ideally it should take 2 divers with gear (sometimes 3), be easy to tow and relatively easy to lanch from the beach with its trailer..i wont be going far distances with it and the sea is moderate, not too rough and not always flat.. i thought of having an open type RIB with a tiller outboard steering to maximize space..the options im considering are:
1 - 3.6m RIB with 25 HP outboard
2 - 4.2m RIB with 25 HP outboard

Im more inclined with the 3.6 as its lighter, will be easier to launch,.probably more powerful in case we are 3 spearos, VS the 4.2 but im interested in what you guys think..
cheers

I would say you would need at least 35Hp with a 4.2m boat to make it an efficient package. The 3.6 I reckon would be ideal with 3 dudes in the sun

Hiya

With RIB's ALWAYS buy as large as you can go!!

With a smaller class rib, tiller arm is vastly more superior to a steering wheel. Tiller arm offers more internal space and much quicker manoverability. The weight difference between a 3.6m and a 4.2m will be very small.

Remember, the longer the boat, the better the ride will be. Two spearo's will easily man-handle a 4.2m rib. If possible, try and buy a rib with a very deep V. They offer a much better ride and allows you to utilize the space below deck for a fish box. 25hp will work, but don't expect blistering performance. If you're travelling large distance's or plan on pushing large weights with the boat, rather look at a 40hp+ motor. A rib's floatation lies in its pontoons, so you can utilize the below deck space. Very few manufacturers offer below deck hatch's on smaller rib's, but it is perfectly safe and works very well!! After a days fishing, you simply pull out the bung of the boat, let the hull fill up with water. This then wash's the fish clean. You then start running, forcing all the water back out and then simply put the bung back in. This way you get rid of all the slime and blood on the fish. Keeps you below the deck fish hatch also clean!!:D:D

I have a 5.0m gemini with a single 50hp yamaha 2stroke. Tow's easily with a 1300cc car, and is easily launched by one person. On soft sand, two people would make life easier.

You'll notice that most manufacturers start making their deep v boats from 5m+. Their smaller versions tend to have a flatter V, which tends to bang alot more in a choppy/windy sea.

What make are you looking at??

Regards
miles

Just been through this whole thought process myself and bought a 4.2m with a 50hp 2 stroke motor. The idea of a 25hp on the same boat sounds a bit under powered to me - not from experience but just from what I have read up on.

For two of you the shorter boat would be fine - but the longer length you go the better the ride in choppier seas.

I really am a complete novice but the advice I was given, which I think is good is:

- If you have to choose a newer engine is more important than a newer boat
- A boat longer than about 5m is too long to handle on your own out of the water and is difficult to get in a standard garage
- Two stroke engines are lighter than 4 strokes and cheaper to service and repair (but are noisier and dirtier)
- If you can get Hypalon tubes (mainly Avon) they are more rugged than PVC/PU (My boat doesn't have Hypalon)

There are loads of other tips you can get from the following site who will send you guidance checklists for free: Ribs Wanted, Buy Ribs, Sell Ribs, Used Ribs For Sale

Didn't stop me making a simple mistake when I bought my own boat - a Zodiac Pro 4.2m - I didn't look at the hull close enough - no big deal but meant I had to make a few repairs to a quite heavily scratched keel from beachings

Last edited:
Reactions: Marwan
I'm with Miles.
The bigger boat will weight only a little more.
Get the biggest outboard you can justify for the boat size.
Technically, bottom pressures come down with a longer hull, so less accelerations, more efficient ride & easier ride, etc with the longer boat.
Probably depends on budget too tho which may swing you back to the smaller boat...
Good luck :)

i have a 3.6m inflatable with a 20hp which has its pros and cons goes really well with 2/3 spearos but really could benefit from a deep-v hard bottom plus a jockey seat! long jouneys in rough /choppy sea become uncomftable and hurt my back using the tiler arm! going to up grade to a proper rib soon think it be between 4-5m long deep-v with a 50hp-70hp but im in the middle of buying my first house at the min and have a million and one other things i need to be spending my hard earned cash on:head

thanks for the input so far guys..you see i also kind of felt that with a 4.2m the 25HP will be on the underpowered side and a 4.2m with 40HP will be more expensive then what i want to pay...also im not planning to use it in very heavy seas or cover many offshore miles..most of the time it will be close to the shore line and about 5-6 nm max in either direction..seas are usually moderate-calm in that area..
the brand is called WAV, its manufactured locally here..so probably could get them to customize it a bit with hatches for storage etc...heres a link to it:
http://www.tigermarine.com/Menu Form.htm

Miles: how do you launch that 5m with 50hP solo on soft sand? I once had a 4.8m RIB with a 60HP that took like 6 guys to get it out of the water (dont ask me why i sold it though :) ) :):):)..are you using different tyres? whats the secret :)

Marwan mate I’ve got a 4meter with a 40hp on the way, should pick it up in March.
Got nothing to add to the wise words above as this will be my first boat so good luck with whatever you go with.:)

Hiya

The price difference between a 25hp and 40hp should be quite small!! Its worth shopping around for the best price as outboard manufacturers offer different prices. You could also opt for a 2stroke instead of a 4stroke motor. The older 2 stroke types are usually quite a bit cheaper.

Beach launching. Depends on whether you're allowed to take your vehicle on the beach!! We use break-neck trailers for beach launching. The trailer swivels upwards, allowing the boat to slid off it. Deflate your tires, both the vehicle and trailer. It makes a HUGE difference. Tell me more about where you launch and how you launch. Once the boat is in even 30cm of water, one person can pretty much manouver it. Retrieving the boat after a day at sea is VERY easy!! Simply run the boat until its on the sand, carefull not to damage the motor. Unhook the trailer and push the trailer until its at the bow of the boat. Hook the winch onto the bow-eye. Lift the trailer vertically and start winching!! As the boat gets pulled onto the trailer or the trailer gets pulled under the boat, the trailer will start tilting forward. Simple.:D:D

Regards
miles

Thanks Miles..
i know myself, if i start going down the ""its only a few $$ more" Route :), i will end up with a 6m with 60HP, console and the whole shabang!! :) theres also a ramp close by and my car is a 4x4 so worst comes to worst ill launch it and retrieve it from there...and originally i started with considering a kayak :)
Thats why i want to keep it simple and go with something smaller, i havent seen anyone sell the break neck trailers over here so i dont know if a regular trailer will work with that same technique or not especially with the retreival from the water (which i find more difficult then launching)
as for prices of outboards, ill have a go at it..but most likely will be getting 2 strke in all cases..
where i launch..in front of the house basically, its not accessible by car, so will have to pull the trailer over a corridor (no problem) then onto the soft sand which is a downward slope until you hot the water..on the way back its soft sand on an upward slope..
cheers

Hello Maran,

Always get the bigger boat.....today you plan on just hanging around your area...tomorrow is a different story....believe me, I've been there....and there is never enough when it comes to seeking new places for spearfishing.
I know where you fish...and if you start going South, a bigger engine will be very helpful.

Launching
Take a look at these sites....they have quite a few accessories for launching:
Inflatable boats and accessories -- Lowest price in Canada!
Seamark Nunn Discount Marine Supplies: Launching Wheels - Up & Over
[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avon-W400-inflatable-dinghy-boat-with-transom-wheels_W0QQitemZ180212323011QQihZ008QQcategoryZ15263QQcmdZViewItem]Avon W400 inflatable dinghy boat with transom wheels on eBay, also, Accessories, Boats Watercraft, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 08-Feb-08 15:10:23 GMT)[/ame]

And of course, the ultimate :tRIB is:
SEALEGS - Amphibious Boats Sealegs

They're made in NZ.

Good Luck

*BTW, just got me a 24 footer, 300HP Rinker....if you're around next week end...let me know.

Ihab

Mr Ihab!! :)
thanks..ill meet the guy on monday and go over different options...the south area ia bit ambitious even for the 4.2..you kow how the sea gets there and sometimes i dont even take my dads boat there..to get there with a 4.2 the seas will have to be muh calmer..
i will look into the bigger option with bigger engine, but then ill look into installing a jump seat etc... and thats when ill loose it and end up with a boston whaler 305 with twin 250's :):):):)...
congrats on the new boat, if im there next week ill let you know and we can do some action on the maiden voyage :)

ok so if i do go for the 4.2m..i will then go for a 40HP engine..IF i go down that route, would you still recommend it to be open model or try and fit in a small console?

Marwan
Don't even think about the 3.something.........it's way too small...........just checked their web site.

The 430 ProTender seems to have storage space with a side console....not center.

Is this the 420 open....I like it

Ihab

Last edited:
the 430 pro tender is very nice for family cruising but has very limited storage space, i saw it in reality at the boat show...
yes thats the 420 with 40 hp...the one in this picture is customized with center console and bench seat..which is an option...
another option would having totally empty, even the uel tank would be below deck leaving more space for divers/gear and at the expense of comfort...:confused::confused:

Marwan I seriously think you should look into a Rota moulded boat like the Mac 420?
Looks like a rib but has much more internal space, you can shoot it with a 12 bore & twat it with a sledge hammer, run it up the beach, drag it down the beach without a trailer if necessary, bounce off rocks etc etc - Pretty much indestructible low maintenance boat NOT like a rib!!

Mac420runaboutpro1.jpg

Marine Revolution Downloads Page.

Go down the page on the second like to find a video.

Thanks Fox..they definitely look the part..but since they are not available here, i imagine will be very expensive alternative..

ok some more pics of the choices:

2 - The 420 open empty and without anything at all just a 40hp outboard..
1 - the 420 OPen with a bench sea and a small console..

ok for option 2 defintely more storage space..and less hassle, downside is much less comfort when driving, especially if the sea gets a bit rough

for option 1, more comfort and better configuration but worried about storage space..you think theres room for in deck storage long enough to take guns, and gear?

Attachments

• B12.jpg
    B12.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 161
  • B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
a third option im considering also, of course without the black tank on top of the A frame, you think its easy to try and get some below deck space there?

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 167
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT