• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

RIB advice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

which RIB should i get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They all look very nice. Ideal for getting from the harbour side and out to your proper boat on its mooring.

I think blow up boats belong with paddling pools and bath toys.

Ooh! Ouch! Duck! Stop throwing things :martial.

Dave

PS Have just bought one. A blow up thinghy/dinghy. 2.6 metre, it's to get me out to my proper boat...... etc. You get the picture :).

Reactions: Lockedin and Marwan
ok it was feeling like talking to myself there for a day, but i guess that response is not what i was hoping for :) :)
thanks OMD, captain of the "spear fish" halibut boat :)

Reactions: Old Man Dave
ok so if i do go for the 4.2m..i will then go for a 40HP engine..IF i go down that route, would you still recommend it to be open model or try and fit in a small console?
Yes, our regular dive boat is a 6m rib with a 90hp, the centre console kills the floor space totally making it a nightmare with fins on. I would say that my old open 3.1m boat had more usable floor space.

marwan my limited experiance makes me ask the question will you, when diving be anchoring the boat and swimming back to it or will it have someone on it at all times covering the divers in a busy area as if this is the case i think a centre console would be necessary even at the expense of deck space. all the pics look nice i think the 420 for a max of three with gear would be fine as long as you dont bring scuba gear on it.

Feargus, normally, we anchor it and then swim back to it..

Thanks Fox..they definitely look the part..but since they are not available here, i imagine will be very expensive alternative..
I think they have world wide distribution.

Ribs have some good points especially in the 6mt + range but the tubes that take up so much room in the smaller versions make them pretty disadvantaged compared to conventional fiberglass hulls.
There are one or two catamaran versions available (Miles had one for a few years) but I would look into other types of boat before you commit yourself to a small rib!

These dudes make a cat too - a 75mph 18' ribcat! You can youtube them up as well. Ceasar Thunderbolt

Marwan
I know this guy who imports used boats:head.....and I think I might have seen some type of Zodica in his shop with a very reasonable price.

I'll call him tomorrow and see if it's still there and let you know.....his shop is in El Sokhna.....opposite Kentucky...you might have seen him before.

One way or another, we're going to get you in a boat.....I need a backuprofl

Ihab

ok i narrowed it down to 2 choices:
1: the simple functional choice..4.2m open RIB no console nothing, with either 25 or 40 HP (the difference in price is almost double)

2; The full Monty, 5.2m with 60HP console, bench seat, A-frame, fresh water shower, but its used, and in very good condition.. what i dont like about this options is
1 - its more hassle, more things to worry about: batteries, bilge pump, shower pump, seats upholstery, etc etc, and its not new..
2 - Its somewhat of a redundancy, i already have a bigger boat, a proper one with all these options, so its not money well spent in my opinion..
3- the 4.2 open probably has more usable space
needless to say that choice 2 is about double the price of choice 1

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 144
  • B5.jpg
    B5.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 137
If it were me I would have the 4.2 with the 40 then, 25 is too small IMO and will be disappointing (can you have a test run?)

i have the same impression pastor, although my neighbor has the 4.2m with 25 hp and he buzzes past me very fast with his 2 kids on the RIB

i also checked the Zodiac website for reference..for the 4.2 m the minimum power recemmended is 15HP, and the maximum is 40 HP, so 25HP is somewhere in the middle no?

Sounds like it, I don't have any reference with a 4.2 metre boat but we had a 40hp on our 6m rib and it was very slow getting on the plane (better with Doel Fins on it) but the day we switched to the 90 was a revelation, it's just hassle free, no having to get someone sat on the nose to get it down and we can even pull someone on the wake board on the way home rofl

Hiya

If the manufacturer recommends a 15hp as minimum, then a 25hp will work fine. If you do go with the 25hp, try and keep the weight of the boat down. The less weight, the better the boat will perform. Opt for the tiller arm, as this offers more deck space as well as better manoverability. Cheaper too!!:D:D Also, fit a hydro-fin to your motor. This will make the boat plane easier, keep the nose down and give you a better ride, as it effectively makes your boat longer in the water. They're also very cheap to purchase and takes less than 10minutes to fit. With smaller boats, weight distribution is also more important. By shifting your crew around, you can get the boat to ride very well.

Pastor, there's a HUGE difference between a 6m rib and a 4m rib!!roflrofl

Regards
miles

Thanks guys...

Miles. the maufacturer of Zodiac (the original french brand) recommends 15hp as a minimum...i think that Zodiac has a deeper V and heavier then the one im buying, so the 25 should work better for me i think....
my spearing buddy has a 40hp johnson outbaord, never been used but stored for the past 12 years or so..i think it will be as good as a new 25 HP now, if that :):)

Go for the small open rib with a new tiller 30hp Honda. Honda make the lightest 30 4/s out there in fact it might be the lightest 30 full stop.

Pastor, there's a HUGE difference between a 6m rib and a 4m rib!!roflrofl
The point I was trying to make is that in general a little extra power is a lot better than just adequate, it doesn't have to be used

Regards
Stevie

i agree with you pastor, and thats my mindset as well, but im trying to be practical, the problem with the cost of the 40HP, is that basically, for a little extra i can buy the lightly used 5.2m with 60 HP and all the works...so i wont feel too smart about it, although i dont want the big boat..the value for money difference is crazy..so im just wondering will i regret it or is this really extra power that i dont need that much...some guy on Ribnet was saying that he reaches 30MPH+ with a zodiac 4.2m and 40HP with console and everything, not to mention that its a heavier boat to begin with

But if you are really after a kayak alternative wouldn't the 3.6 with a 25 be ideal? Economical but plenty of power for up to 3 spearos. Enough change to buy another Wong or two rofl

when i sat with the guy today, he did not recommend the 3.6 for my kind of diving, the logic being its more of a "tender", im still thinking about it though, i must admit i like it, depending on what i land on for the engine...if the 25 will be too little for the 4.2 , i will not move up to the 40hp, then i might settle for the 3.6

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT