• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

RIB advice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

which RIB should i get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What about Foxfish's suggestion? That sounds reasonable too, not that I'm any expert of course but he knows a hell of a lot more than me, I can't think of anyone more qualified to comment than a guy who builds boats for a living.

sorry about this guys..and really i do appreciate all the help..fox's suggestion is great, the options available here are limiting though, mercury are more available then honda over here and they dont have a 30HP, only 25 or 40..and the 4 stroke will just take it in the very high figures, although much better, i'll be looking into a 2 stroke for this one..

Well I guess you dont have the same problem as we do with fuel cost?
The other problems with two strokes (non direct injection models) is that they can oil up the plugs when you are just idling around & they dont have much low down power.
Marwan, you are no different than anyone else but - like "master mind" it is best to stick with your first choice? Otherwise listen to me & buy a Mac 420 with a Honda 50!

youre right about the fuels cost for now at least..my boss is Scotish, he throws a fit about gas prices every time he omes to see me :)
i really cant remember my first choice at this point :):):) you mean the 3.6 or 4.2? :) cheers..

it is starting to fee like master mind out here, its just a Bloody RIB MAKE UPYOUR MIND MARWAN!!!, didnt take me that long to get maried :)

Reactions: podge
Marwan mate just to help you make up your mind how about one of theses???? roflrofl

Last edited:
Hi everyone, About 5 year's ago, here in Spain, I was looking to buy an "Out Board", I remember the dealer warned me that "2 stroke's" were going to become "Illeagal" (Because of the polution)in a few year's time, & that I should only buy a "4 stroke". Any one know if that is the case now?.

Found this ;

Rumours Afloat - Two Stroke Outboard Engines
You can run your British Seagull two-stroke engine for as long as it lives! Is the headline in a recent boating magazine "Two-stroke ban begins" a bit misleading?

On the 1 January 2007 it became illegal to manufacture new two-stroke outboard engines but it did not become illegal to use existing two-stroke outboard engines. It is still possible to use them and repair them until the end of their natural life. In some cases this will be longer than others!

Can we make a British Seagull outboard engine the longest running two-stroke outboard in the world?

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! im loosing it here...i went to the guys factory yesterday, cant help but feel that the 3.6 is a little small...i fear i will be limited in range...i dont think that the 4.2 will be that much heavier that it will be underpowered with a 25HP, the maximum recommended power for the 4.2 is 40HP...so lets break down the needs and givens:
Needs:
1 - RIB to carry 2-3 (on rare occasion 4) spearos with gear
2 - Travel distance is 4-6 NM coastal (near shore) in calm-moderate seas
3 - Ease of beach launching/recovery
4 - Hassle free as much as possible (so no electronics etc...)

Givens:
1 - Total cost of 4.2 with 25 HP and trailer is 5300$
2 - Total cost of 3.6 with 25 HP and trailer is 4500$

price isnt much of the issue, but does the extra weight of the 4.2 really degrade the performance of the 25HP, wont it give 20mph with 3 spearos?

lets have a final round, which do you recommend in light of he above?

So why cant you buy a 40 hp motor?
Surely Honda's are available?

theyre not available and too expensive :(, also probably would be heavier to make beach launching easy?

Ok but just for me could you look into a Honda 30 as they are the lightest 30 on the market & a very good 4/s to boot!
I think the short shaft tiller is less than 70kg?

Last edited:
Hiya

Yamaha 25hp 2stroke = 54.5kg
Yamaha 40hp 2stroke enduro = 73.6kg
Yamaha 40hp 2stroke = 80.7kg

( https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/marine/index.htm?range.asp?therange=cv )

The ENDURO range is Yamaha's no frill's series. They're pretty much the standard motors the commercial fisherman use here. No fancy AUTO-LUBE'S that eventually malfunction, BIG jets in the carbs for less blockages which allows you to use poorer quality fuel with less hassle. Best part is that they're CHEAP!!!:D:D

If money isn't too big an issue, go with the 4stroke!! Yamaha builds SUPERB 4 strokes, so does Honda and Suzuki. I have owned all 3 makes in their 4 stroke range and can recommend them all!!

Very often people assume 2/S are a lot lighter than a 4/S but you need to look more closely at the manufacturers specs to realise this is not aways the case.
Using Honda as an example their 25 is the same motor as the 30 just a different state of tune. So the 25 is heavy compared to a 25 2/S but the 30 is very light for any 30!
The same applies to the 40 & 50 - the same weight!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT