• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar Predathor Vuoto 100

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
it's a euro 20 modification to another thinner trigger pin and corresponding bushing. I have one, but honestly haven't tried it yet. I'd suggest you just try and see if the normal trigger isn't fine as it is.
I'm sure I don't like the idea dismatling a brand new gun. I have emailed Salvi about service and guarantee, pending!

Don't overthink it;-)
Though it may seem daunting the first time, it is actually not difficult to service your own airgun and change a leaking o-ring. And in all likelihood, it will take years before you would need to.

Reactions: Paulsible
Don't overthink it;-)
Though it may seem daunting the first time, it is actually not difficult to service your own airgun and change a leaking o-ring. And in all likelihood, it will take years before you would need to.
What I don't get is this: The instructions say that setting the power regulator to low decreases loading efford. But on the gun it clearly states: do not use if the gun is unloaded. What's up with that anyway???? How is the regulator used anyway? I watched a video with a guy explaining that but I still don't get it.
something must be lost in translation!

What they mean by "unloaded" is releasing the air pressure from the gun. The Salvimar uses a reversed power regulator with the control valve being an upstream valve instead of the usual downstream valve. If you set the power regulator to low and then release the air via the inlet valve being depressed then the air in the tank forward of the power regulator bulkhead will be trapped in the gun. This will make the power regulator impossible to budge unless you re-pressurize the gun. To let all the air out the power regulator has to be pushed forwards in the gate which is full power and holds the upstream valve open, usually full power is rearwards in the gate on most of the other gun brands. If you look closely at the gate you can see plus and minus signs indicating high and low power respectively. The one-way non-return valve and power regulator valve are combined in the Salvimar gun, in other guns they are two separate items.

"Easy loading" is just a way of taking a number of separate pushes on the spear to load the gun. Each time you get the spear and thus the piston further into the gun the air being compressed in the front tank stays there because the one-way/power regulator valve stops it going back into the inner barrel when the piston is allowed to travel back to the muzzle when you stop pushing on the loading bar. In a gun without a power regulator any failure to latch the piston wastes your energy as the air that had been compressed by your pushing effort all flows back into the inner barrel and you are right back to where you started. The further in that you can push the spear each time in a gun with a power regulator set to low power (which closes the valve in a partitioning bulkhead) the air in the front tank gets ever closer to the cocked gun pressure as the one-way valve action lets air in, but not out, so it is a step-wise procedure, while the air remaining in the inner barrel decreases in pressure as the gas molecules that used to be there are now added to those in the front tank. A low power shot uses only the air in the gun that is not inside the front tank, that lower pressure left in the inner barrel after such a shot is what makes it a low power shot, whereas a high power shot uses all the air by opening the power regulator valve which was keeping the elevated pressure locked up in the front tank. Of course the gun has to be latched before you open the power regulator valve by setting it to full power.

Last edited:
What they mean by "unloaded" is releasing the air pressure from the gun. The Salvimar uses a reversed power regulator with the control valve being an upstream valve instead of the usual downstream valve. If you set the power regulator to low and then release the air via the inlet valve being depressed then the air in the tank forward of the power regulator bulkhead will be trapped in the gun. This will make the power regulator impossible to budge unless you re-pressurize the gun. To let all the air out the power regulator has to be pushed forwards in the gate which is full power and holds the upstream valve open, usually full power is rearwards in the gate on most of the other gun brands. If you look closely at the gate you can see plus and minus signs indicating high and low power respectively. The one-way non-return valve and power regulator valve are combined in the Salvimar gun, in other guns they are two separate items.

"Easy loading" is just a way of taking a number of separate pushes on the spear to load the gun. Each time you get the spear and thus the piston further into the gun the air being compressed in the front tank stays there because the one-way/power regulator valve stops it going back into the inner barrel when the piston is allowed to travel back to the muzzle when you stop pushing on the loading bar. In a gun without a power regulator any failure to latch the piston wastes your energy as the air that had been compressed by your pushing effort all flows back into the inner barrel and you are right back to where you started. The further in that you can push the spear each time in a gun with a power regulator set to low power (which closes the valve in a partitioning bulkhead) the air in the front tank gets ever closer to the cocked gun pressure as the one-way valve action lets air in, but not out, so it is a step-wise procedure, while the air remaining in the inner barrel decreases in pressure as the gas molecules that used to be there are now added to those in the front tank. A low power shot uses only the air in the gun that is not inside the front tank, that lower pressure left in the inner barrel after such a shot is what makes it a low power shot, whereas a high power shot uses all the air by opening the power regulator valve which was keeping the elevated pressure locked up in the front tank. Of course the gun has to be latched before you open the power regulator valve by setting it to full power.
That is a very handy feature for loading, isn't it? Nice!

Thank all you people for your patience and info. If you are wondering why I am beeing so thorough, the reason is: economic depression! Things are still bad.

If you are out to save a bit of money, then consider keeping tab on the Italian forum and their sales forum, here:
http://pescasubapnea.forumfree.it/?f=387295
They have a section for "wanted" listings, too.
As an example of the often good deals to be made there, here is a Mares Sten 84 with a Salvimar dry muzzle for E90 (not including the reel):
http://pescasubapnea.forumfree.it/?t=74817810

I have had luck in having Italian private sellers ship to Denmark before.

I will say that I recently bought a predathor vuoto 100. I bought it overseas in Italy. It took a while to get but I got a good deal and I didn't pay any import fees. I got it 50% less. However I went looking for a replacement shaft and have had a hard time. I can find shafts for Vintair models no problem. I am a newbie when it comes to pneumatics though. I have read many forums talking about the shafts. I have come to the conclusion that a standard predathor shaft may work.
I did contact salvimar directly and really seemed to get nowhere. I did get a response but after they told me to to buy one from the same place that I bought the gun; I told them I didn't want to wait two weeks for a shaft, and they only have the shafts for the vintair models. He stopped responding. Maybe because I'm so ignorant lol. He did give me a part number that he said works. It's a salvimar AG341. Any ideas? I'm open to ordering any shaft y'all think might work. It's pretty long at 115mm. And the slide ring is chincy and I'd rather have a threaded tip anyways.
I now wish I had just paid a little extra and gotten a cyrano eco.
I have had a lot of fun with the gun though. I've bagged some fish. The low power setting is really easy to load. Even the shipped pressure of 18bar, was easy to load on high power. I did but a pressure gauge as well. But when I pumped the gun to 22 it made it incredibly hard on high power to load.
And like others have said. If you shoot the gun on high power you can't change it to low and load it easily. It's impossible to load that way. I tried lol. The gun is incredibly accurate and I have had success hunting around rocks on low power.
Thanks every one for all your posts, although this is ,my first time posting. I've been reading off here for years lol.
Thanks
Paul

If you know someone with a lathe, you can buy pretty much any oversized bandgun shaft, cut it off to the right length and have the tail threaded for the tail end you have on your original spear. Make sure the sharkfin spear is long enough that when you cut it in front of the foremost fin it is still long enough for your use.
The Cyrano Evo have had reported problems and is not a vacuum muzzled gun. Just get your spare shaft and better sliders and you will be fine.

So the end that's not pointy and goes in the gun; that is threaded on? I had no idea. That makes a lot more sense. Thanks
I wonder then if I wanted an 8 mm shaft I'm curious if that is different thread. Haha so much info to be had. You all are awesome. Ty

I think the shafts are basically the same for the all Salvimar models, provided their diameters match. The "Vuoto" aspect refers to the muzzle which has a seal that runs on the shaft, so the shaft diameter has to be right for that seal to work effectively. The "Predathor" is a redesign of the "Vintair" in order to provide a side mounted line release, hence the different rear handle shape. There are 7 mm and 8 mm diameter shafts, check the on-line Salvimar 2017 catalogue (pdf Acrobat file) to see which size your gun uses. In fact I just checked it and your 100 cm gun uses a 7 mm diameter shaft, the next two models up use 8 mm diameter shafts (115 cm and 130 cm). The other wet barrel "Vintair" and "Predathor" guns all use 8 mm shafts.

If your shaft is 7mm and you want to go to 8mm, you will have to get a tail end - or tang as they are also called - with a bigger outer diameter. And then, you will also need a new internal shock absorber for the Vuoto muzzle as the regular one will not allow the bigger shaft tail to pass through, unless you can drill the original one out. That could possibly work. I might be able to measure both of them for you in a day or two, if you need it, to check if the only difference is indeed the bore diameter of the shock absorber.
Here it is in the catalogue:
VUOTO SHOCK ABSORBER.jpg

As for the tail ends and their internal thread, all the ones I have are M6x1, that goes for Mares, Salvi, Seac, Devoto and Sigalsub no matter what the shaft thickness is so I think that is as close to an industry standard as you can get.
I made the sketch below for a local machinist who cuts my spears down when needed and it has worked each and every time:
OLEO SHAFT END.jpg

As for the front thread for a screw-in tip, it is sometimes m7x1 (most often?) but I have seen M6x1, too.

Last edited:
IMG_3030.PNG Thanks to both of you, gecko and popgun. I've read more of your posts than you might imagine. I followed your above advice and found the different ends for the 7mm and 8mm shafts at Edosub
Thanks for all your input. Not just here but everywhere.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Good to hear you gave Edo a bit of business. He is a good guy.

As for the shock absorber, I think it is called "bussola" in Italian. He doesn't list it on his site, but he might still have it in stock. Just ask him. It should only be a a few euros, too.

Last edited:
Well, I ordered mine from Edo, got some extra gaskets, o-rings, oil.... Hope it goes well... I emailed Salvimar people, too. They were pretty fast on responding, they tell you all you want to know... Well, they didn't claryfy that you can't change the power setting whenever you want... Does Salvimar use different kind of the shaft tail which doesn't fit all models? I mean I can find the vintair tails for sure in greece, what about the predathors?

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Just got it. It sure is sexy... The shaft tip is a mess... overall length about 110cm (it's the 100)... Almost no aiming sites... seems easy to load at 20bar (standard)...

Cool, congrats on it:)

I thought it would come with a tahitian 7mm shaft, how is it mess? Not well parted off in the lathe showing a big dimple at the front instead of a proper point, perhaps?

Last edited:

I thought it would come with a tahitian 7mm shaft, how is it mess? Not well parted off in the lathe showing a big dimple at the front instead of a proper point, perhaps?
Thanks! The shaft is 7mm. The tip's point seems badly finished like you said. One more issue is the rubber plug for the air pump. I don't like the way it plugs. If you are not carefull you might mess it up. Also, the power regulator has no metal to protect the plastic from melting of use. I like the handle and the safety. It reminds me of my pathos.

I have a shaft that was badly finished like that. I'll check the stack to see if it happens to be the Salvi that came with the PredaThor. It's not a big deal, few wipes with a grinding stone should take care of it. Oh, come to think about it, I might have done that to the shaft in question already. It's been a while since I touched up my shafts and glued on shaft cones on the ones that didn't have it (it supposedly aids penetration and accuracy).

I am not sure, I get the last two points?
You mean, you don't like the rubber plug that covers the pump valve on the gun?
And the power regulator? You don't like the little plastic thumb rest on the end of it?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT