• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar Predathor Vuoto 100

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I have a shaft that was badly finished like that. I'll check the stack to see if it happens to be the Salvi that came with the PredaThor. It's not a big deal, few wipes with a grinding stone should take care of it. Oh, come to think about it, I might have done that to the shaft in question already. It's been a while since I touched up my shafts and glued on shaft cones on the ones that didn't have it (it supposedly aids penetration and accuracy).

I am not sure, I get the last two points?
You mean, you don't like the rubber plug that covers the pump valve on the gun?
And the power regulator? You don't like the little plastic thumb rest on the end of it?
Yeah, sorry, bad english...yes about the rubber plug. The corner where the power regulator comes and goes has no metal protecting it (as the mares dooes).

Ah, you mean in the handle, the bend in the power regulator rod rests hard against the plastic? I think that's fine. My Seac Hunter is the same and it works well.

The rubber plug for the pump valve is a slighty weird design, other companies just use a screw-in plastic cap. Either way, it's not a structural part.

Last edited:
And how do you keep verything tidy, line and shaft out of the water, anywway????

And how do you keep verything tidy, line and shaft out of the water, anywway????
That's one thing the band guns have over us - you can't leave the spear in the gun on ours;)
I use a rubber bungee on each end to hold the spear next to the outer tank and then run the shooting line as normal. Then, when in the water, I just put the rubber bungees (or rubber bands) around my wrist, so I don't loose them.

Oh!, and, can I unscrew the tail shaft without denting it?

In case the tail end has thread locking glue on it, heat it up with a lighter first to loosen up the glue. Then you can unscrew it. You can scratch or gorge it though, so be careful. I did see a trick the other day, that might work for us - which is to wrap the tail end (in our case) in a bit of sand paper and then clamp down on that. Supposedly the sandpaper stays put and holds the pipe wrench/vise from slipping and supposedly it doesn't scratch the part. BUT I haven't tried it personally.

I do thread-lock the tail end in place again, otherwise make sure it is very properly tightened. One of my friends lost his spear having forgotten this recently.

In case the tail end has thread locking glue on it, heat it up with a lighter first to loosen up the glue. Then you can unscrew it. You can scratch or gorge it though, so be careful. I did see a trick the other day, that might work for us - which is to wrap the tail end (in our case) in a bit of sand paper and then clamp down on that. Supposedly the sandpaper stays put and holds the pipe wrench/vise from slipping and supposedly it doesn't scratch the part. BUT I haven't tried it personally.

I do thread-lock the tail end in place again, otherwise make sure it is very properly tightened. One of my friends lost his spear having forgotten this recently.
(y)(y)Thanks. I tryed loosening it and slightly dented it... I must polish it now... Anyway, I can't wait to try it. Too bad there has been an oil leackage from a ship and a good portion of South Attica coast is now polluted...
I think I must make a loading aid, more for the time saving part. I saw one in a video made from plastic tubing. I don't think I can describe it in english.

Predathor vuoto 100.
So I ordered a replacement 7mmx115mm shaft, double barbed Tahitian, ag342 is the salvimar part number. Also ordered a salvimar made replacement shaft for cyrano/vintair 110mmx7mm Knox with threaded end. The tangs look identical. They were $20 And $11 respectively through planetdivestore.com
Stoked. I would have paid much more for the shafts in America. I highly recommend paying the extra for express shipping though. If you don't it may take a while to get but paying an extra 10$ meant I got it in 2 business days. Not bad.

Predathor vuoto 100.
So I ordered a replacement 7mmx115mm shaft, double barbed Tahitian, ag342 is the salvimar part number. Also ordered a salvimar made replacement shaft for cyrano/vintair 110mmx7mm Knox with threaded end. The tangs look identical. They were $20 And $11 respectively through planetdivestore.com
Stoked. I would have paid much more for the shafts in America. I highly recommend paying the extra for express shipping though. If you don't it may take a while to get but paying an extra 10$ meant I got it in 2 business days. Not bad.
Yes, Identical tangs, I just compared them. Shipping can be nerve-braking... specially if you are excited to get your new gun...

We are supposed to lubricate the muzle gasket after each dive. Edo and Salvimar said silicone spray lubricant is fine, but I have the impression that grease dough may be better like the one that technisub makes. What do you guys think?

Whatever lubricant you use make sure that it does not pick up sand particles, as some greases do, as those particles can then be transported into the gun during muzzle loading as the spear tail collects them on the way through the muzzle seal.

Reactions: Stamatis
I agree with Pete. And I think a thin layer of wd-40 is better than a thicker grease with more potential to grab particles. That said, I never did any of it...

Reactions: Stamatis
Ok my very first shot has come to pass!!!

I must say I am satisfied! Power at 20 atm is good, maybe I will increase it once I get used to it. It shoots straight, no recoil. The shaft is preety good, it did not bow while loading. I have a few points I would like to mention:
1. Trigger: It feels kind of strange, I thought it was hard first time I tried to shoot, but it is ok once you get used to it. I did miss a nice big fishy because of it.
2. Line release: It releases the line before I shoot! Pulling the trigger gently releases the line prematurely without shooting!
3. Gun overall length: Salvimar says it is 100, while actual length is 110. Not bad, but misleading! If I knew, I would have order it shorter, 85 must be 95, but I am sure I will get used to it.

[EDIT] Disregard all the below in relation to the PredaThor. I was thinking about the One Air when I wrote this...:rolleyes:

Happy to hear it works well!
Someone on a previous thread described it as hunting with a scalpel. It has that swoosh, flowing shot without recoil and it feels like it hits where you point it. I, personally, feel that at least.

Bear in mind, your gun has an 11mm piston/shooting barrel so don't compare your pressures to 13mm guns. Well, you can but then just multiply the pressure quoted for 13mm guns by a factor of 1.4 to have something comparable. So, 20 bar is a fine starting point but actually not high at all, so once you get a hang of loading it, you can certainly take it higher. An easy way to do it is to add about 50 pump strokes before a dive day so you don't end up putting too much in in one go and ruining your day in the water. Add 50 more strokes before the next dive day if you feel you can still easily load the gun.

Airguns are measured differently from Euro pipe guns and sadly, a tad differently between brands, even. But then again European bandguns are measured different from US ones. It's a jungle.

I speculate the trigger feels different than a good one on a bandgun since it doesn't break as predictably. It is more like the same feel, slightly bland pull and then it breaks but there is no change in the feel until that happens. I think when you have shot it more, your fingers will develop muscle memory and you will know when it fires.

The line release should trip before the shot. That's very important. Otherwise the line can rip off the release, maybe even ricochet the shaft at worst or at pull the shaft to a side ruining accuracy. But it shouldn't let get too early either.

Last edited:
Happy to hear it works well!
Someone on a previous thread described it as hunting with a scalpel. It has that swoosh, flowing shot without recoil and it feels like it hits where you point it. I, personally, feel that at least.

Bear in mind, your gun has an 11mm piston/shooting barrel so don't compare your pressures to 13mm guns. Well, you can but then just multiply the pressure quoted for 13mm guns by a factor of 1.4 to have something comparable. So, 20 bar is a fine starting point but actually not high at all, so once you get a hang of loading it, you can certainly take it higher. An easy way to do it is to add about 50 pump strokes before a dive day so you don't end up putting too much in in one go and ruining your day in the water. Add 50 more strokes before the next dive day if you feel you can still easily load the gun.

Airguns are measured differently from Euro pipe guns and sadly, a tad differently between brands, even. But then again European bandguns are measured different from US ones. It's a jungle.

I speculate the trigger feels different than a good one on a bandgun since it doesn't break as predictably. It is more like the same feel, slightly bland pull and then it breaks but there is no change in the feel until that happens. I think when you have shot it more, your fingers will develop muscle memory and you will know when it fires.

The line release should trip before the shot. That's very important. Otherwise the line can rip off the release, maybe even ricochet the shaft at worst or at pull the shaft to a side ruining accuracy. But it shouldn't let get too early either.
It seems to me it is a 13mm. I checked the catalogue again! Which is good for dry muzzle as I can understand (not good for wet barrels)! The Mares 85 is Exactly 85cm overall length, so that is why I thought the same would apply for Salvi. As for the line release, well I guess I will get used to the finger movement as you say.

Sorry! I was thinking of the One Air the whole time I wrote this!

As for the size, if I recall correctly Salvimar is about 8cm longer than a Mares in the same "size". I tried to make a schematic about the size differences a while back but didn't finish it.

Sorry again for the the mis-information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder why they cant keep a standard measurement, it is really annoying trying to keep up with this sort of thing!
Haven't air guns always been measured in total barrel length in the past?
Band guns from band attachment to trigger mech.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Whatever lubricant you use make sure that it does not pick up sand particles, as some greases do, as those particles can then be transported into the gun during muzzle loading as the spear tail collects them on the way through the muzzle seal.
hello! how to lubricate the gasket ?? I can uncrew the gast phase of muzzle even the full pressure gun ?? thanks !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT