• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Selfmade fiberglass fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Congrats, Pvilela. I hope tomorrow night I will also be a happy man to post here some details of my success =]
So: my mold is all smooth and ready 2 go. My layup would be :
Vacuum bag -----------
green mesh #######
peel ply ____________
FBRGLSS 390 t2 normal shape
FBRGLSS 280 t parabolic shape (a)
FBRGLSS 280 t parabolic shape (b)
FBRGLSS 390 t2 normal shape
FBRGLSS 280 t parabolic (a)
FBRGLSS 280 t parabolic (b)
FBRGLSS 390 t2 normal shape.

So I guess I will listen to Cid and put the inlet tube on top of mesh (between bag and the mesh itself). Even though I dont understand why should it work (am I wrong to think that epoxy will not pass thru the peel ply?!?!)...
So guys, if there are any big things I have to do - lemme know. Infusion is planned to start at 10:00 am. A bit nervous =]

epoxy will pass across peel ply. Peel ply will work has a structural tissue , so it should be immediately after the fiber glass has you put on your post.
cid is wright that is the correct position for the tube

hello to all, after several projects , already 4 pair of fins
1 fiberglass
3 carbon with different setups ,
i can say that thew fins worked already 40 hours from 0 till 15 mt with good results.
I need some help, on the fins finishing. Has i am using peel ply on one side peel ply becomes marked on the fins surface working as a grind and has the epoxy is so hard fins will scratched everything where they touch
any ideas how can i give a finishing layer on my new fins ??

You can sand paper the rough side of the fin (the side that had the peel ply)

If you start with rough sand paper like #120 and then use thinner and thinner papers like 300 to 600, you are left with a a nice and smooth surface.

Pvilela, what kind of layup have to found to work best with carbon?

Thanks CID
i am using 200 gr tissues ( only available here)
several mix of tissues , twill/ unidirectionl and plain
and 1 x 45º fiberglass
and on the foot area i am using some more plain to give more strength to this area
total of 7 layers . I achieved to get a 230 gr blade , medium ( i need to get some unidirectional 100gr)
blade dimensions are 75 cm x 21 cm .
i still have some issues with epoxy resins as the weather temperature was some influence , 1-st fins i made with 15ºC and today we had in Portugal 25ºC, resins behavior is completely different. even using slower resins

Hi Pivela,

could you post some pictures?

For finishing you could, after sanding, try to give a final layer of polyurethanic bi-component paint. This will protect epoxy from UV also.

Bye
P,

i hope you like it
they are mounted on a picasso footpockets

Attachments

• DSC_0729.jpg
    DSC_0729.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 439
  • DSC_0730.jpg
    DSC_0730.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 433
My best compliments.. they look really nice. Can I ask you something.. how much do a pair of carbon fins cost to you (i.e carbon fabric, epoxy, consumables)?

Bye
P,

honestly , there are cheaper blades on the market like leaderfins or Turksub
the material , Carbon fiber, resins, and all consumables and energy plus rubber rails ( these are very expensive) should stay around 100 €

Hi . Is it posible somebody do post a plan of a blade witch i can print and use as a model.
Thanks a lot.

Hey there everyone! I have read every page of this topic trying to soak in all of the information. I am looking to make a custom fiberglass monofin. I am a mermaid and mermaid tail maker and need to make a fluke shaped monofin for my tail.

I was wondering if someone could please create a list of all the supplies needed for an infusion process. Also, could you please make a step-by-step guide either written or on video. The videos that I watched of you making the fins are great but I would love a video with explanations, how everything is setup including the vacuum, and descriptions of the process. How much vacuum is required? What kind of heat setup do you use to keep the constant temperature and where can I find it? The best types of fiberglass and thickness to use for my application. Layering for tapering. Information like that and all the little details.

I would really appreciate your help! Especially since I need to make a few of these monofins so I can have one in each tail. Please help me out in any way that you can. It is so hard for me to read every page and put all the different information together and I could really use some help!

-Sasha

Normally you need the some amount resin and fiber to get a good impregnation.
The excess of resin Vacuum will take it out .

Attention i am using wet lay-up method, so my advice is to prepare small amounts of resin for not drying to fast

Hey guys, in case anyone needs a vacuum pump needed for that project - I am selling mine. Its a UK made Austen-Charles, I forgot the name, but I received it new. With my project it worked for 7-8 hours total. I believe that retail price on a new item was around 250Euro. I will sell mine for 100Euro + you pay postage.

Hi all,

I just wanted to say hello.
I see many new posts with homebrewed fins... Keep up good work.

I am also preparing something new - will post the results if I succeed:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT