• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Should AIDA Allow Sambas in Competition?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Should AIDA Change the Samba Rule?

• No - it's fine the way it is

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • Yes - they should allow competitors to attempt to recover under their own power

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Yes - they should change it so that any shake at all is classified as a samba

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Yes - they should attempt to change it so that it is less subjective

Votes: 36 48.0%

• Total voters
I think you should be allowed to "look" like crap after a long breath hold. As stated in previous threads a marathon runner is allowed to collapse on the ground after an event as it is recognised that they have physically endured something through the effort. Our rules as they currently stand have both objective "tests" and subjective components. Objectively you need to signal Ok to the judges remove your mask etc in specified time limits and these are easy to verify as you either do them or you don't. The concerns seem much more around the associated subjective elements....you have to do these things without shaking, can't stare blankly while doing it etc. I'm in favour of dropping the subjective elements all together and increasing the objective ones to ensure that the individual is in control but recognising they have put their body through an ordeal as well. As Eric has said often on this topic the objective elements can be easily verified the subjective can not be.

I forgot to add:

The focus currently is more about do people "portray" an unacceptable level of lack of control and therefore DQ when what we should be validating is do they prove an acceptable level of control. This shift in thinking is much clearer and easier to judge. It would remove subjectivity & inconsistency with discussions then focusing on what test/tasks validate an acceptable level of control. People would never leave a comp shaking their heads and not really knowing what rule they had broken in getting a DQ.

Reactions: sammydive
icarus pacific said:
You gotta be shitting me!!

Allowing any sport to condone the blacking out/passing out or momentary incapacitation of the participant is just friggin' nuts! :duh What's next, that competitive skydiving allow non-op parachute landings as long as the guy walks away??

I'm agreeing with the Cliff. Whoda thunk? ;)

boxing, kickboxing, prizefighting, mixed martial arts......??

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT