• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi mate yes gave it a miss today the sw wind and the rain is a bit of a nightmare probably leave it for a bit till it's settled down. Cheers

Hi guys can anybody tell me where I can get longline float clips to attach to my gun at reasonable price didn't no if I could get them in tackle shops ?

Hi guys can anybody tell me where I can get longline float clips to attach to my gun at reasonable price didn't no if I could get them in tackle shops ?
I've got a couple you can have. £2 each?

Hi mate yes I will have them off you where abouts are you and when's best to get them ? cheers

A day of firsts today. Had the rare treat of a day to myself and after reading of vis in Brixham was pleased to hear that Torbay was diveable. 3 years after buying it off a mate, decided to take the kayak out at long last for its maiden voyage in Torquay. Had intended on going out to a reef I've heard and read about which is a little too far for a shore dive but revised plans and will explore that area another day.

Also tried new action camera for first time and was impressed with the results - nothing captured worth sharing but for a £40-ish camera am really pleased with the results. Also had new socks - 5mm Epsealon Titan from spearfishing store which are great (and probably should be at £30). And first time out for Omer mini-laser knife which also seems fine -no chance to use it but rather pathetically I had to look online how to attach the strap to the knife plate.

I'm afraid I have done nothing for the image of the spearo - in 30 cm of water I sat on my kayak for the first time and rolled it over and fell off. Anyone watching would have quite rightly thought...twat. Undeterred and like learning to ride a bike, got straight back on and all was good. This only happened 2 more times throughout dive - which I take as a success. Found that getting back onto it was easier than I'd thought.

From a dive perspective had 2-3 meters vis and a bit milky, pleasant conditions. Only saw a few wrasse and even more dogfish. Came away with a few scallops - all was as expected but a great day nonetheless. Will use the kayak again for certain locations but does create an extra hassle which time will not always allow for. Great to be back in the water more than anything. Had a couple of chats afterwards with interested locals -one a former spearo who was kind enough to share a spot close to shore that holds large Pollock - nice.

Happy New Year and all that! Sad to see that not many (or not many on here anyway!) have been out yet this year.

Looking at the weather and the winds are good (albeit a little strong) for the next week, no rain and no swell. Think I may take a dip with a mate early next week! Wonder if I'll be too cold in my trusty 5/4 suit :confused:

It's a balmy 9 degrees out in the water at the moment, so you might get a bit chilly in the 5/4! The viz has been absolutely shocking over the past few weeks. The best we had in Start Bay last week was 50cm. I believe Plymouth Sound and Whitsand Bay has 3m viz at the moment.

As the viz is completely pants at the moment, the only thing to catch are crabs.
Crab.jpg

Im reasonably new to spearfishing and dont really know any good spots around where i live (torpoint) anyone got any suggestions? im also going on holiday to the scilies soon. oh and not too deep!

Im reasonably new to spearfishing and dont really know any good spots around where i live (torpoint) anyone got any suggestions? im also going on holiday to the scilies soon. oh and not too deep!
Anywhere between Kingsand and Downderry is good. Have a look on Google maps, pick a spot that looks promising and jump in. You can't go wrong on that stretch of coastline. And its not too deep either.

Reactions: scrumpy
thanks, im very near cawsand and my grandparents are there so im down very often too, whats the best spot (s) there?

Anywhere around there is good. Just stay away from the main beaches when it's sunny weather as the Birmingham Navy and the WAFI's will be out in force.
No-one will give you specific good spots. Mine have been found by looking at a map and jumping in. Some spots you win and some you lose, but the fun is all about finding out.

Reactions: scrumpy
Cheers, I'll have a look and then have a go once my new gloves and hood arrive, probably a good chance of crabs and lobster down there too?

Ha Ha you would need two hands for many of the lobsters Trelawney catches!
Sometimes you can be lucky and spot a lobster out in the open but mostly they are in holes.
There are lots of techniques to getting them out..... try goggling 'Deeper blue lobsters' as there are some great threads about the subject.
Here is one ...... https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/lobster-hunting.51902/

Reactions: Trelawney
Crab and lobster are my favourite things to hunt, followed by big plaice. It's a fun way to dive, and it keeps you fit as you're always swimming, ducking under ledges, and scouring gullies.
Here is a bit of info I wrote about four years ago, about hunting lobsters:

Lobsters are naturally curious creatures, and will normally come out of thier holes a bit to investigate strange goings on. Lobster holes can be literally anywhere. We found an 8lber under a piece of fibreglass in the middle of a mud flat once, so it pays to leave the fish and just dedicate your dive to hunting bugs.

What it comes down to, is a lot of stealth. If that fails, gentle persuasion and then bullying.

When you find a likely hole, your intended victim will normally be near the opening, so you will be able to see its antennae and/or claws. Don't dive right to the lobsters front as it will back off quickly. Approch from the side if possible, and go slowly. If you can check for an escape at the back of the hole do it now, as thats where the lobster will do his vanishing act from. Put your dive buddy here if you have one. If not, block it off carefully with a stone.
Approch the hole again from the side, and create a small disturbance in the sand a foot or so in front of Sebastian. He should move forward to have a look-see. Now is the time for the "Hero Grab". Come in from behind, do it quick, and not not hesitate in the slightest. Grab him on the carapace where he can't nip you and hold him firmly, as he will be flapping all over the place. Do not grab the claws, as before you know it, thats all you'll have left.

If you missed, Sebastian will bolt back in his hole. You can now do two things. Persuade him out or bully him out.
If your buddy is at the escape tunnel, try and make the lobster flee its hole. Give it a few pokes with your spear (not too hard). Your attentive buddy can then grab him as he makes his escape.

If you're on your own, you might have to now bully it out; meaning, make it a bit unpleasent so it has to flee it's hole from the front entrance. This can work, just as long as the hole isn't deep. If it is a proper deep hole, he will just retreat and have a snooze. Unload your spear, and use the barb as a hook. Lobsters hate things behind them, so try and get the barb behind its tail, give it a wiggle, and it should turn around. Then again, it might not. Its trial and error at this point, just keep on trying to move him. Try not to kick up too much silt, as if you do, you might not see the lobster as he escapes right under your nose.

It comes down to lots of practice. I find it quite fun, and like the challenge posed by a deep holed lobster. If you fail, he will normally be there next time to try your luck again, unless you tell one of your buddies and they get there before you.
Spearo3.jpg

IMG_2485.JPG

Not been getting in the water as much as I'd like the last few years as two young kids make it difficult to get out and about. I've come to the conclusion that I have to wait till the kids are asleep so I've decided night spearing is the way forward. Can anyone recommend a cheapish dive torch (preferably recyclable). There seems so be so many on the market....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT