• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Early start for a dive in a new South Hams location for me yesterday morning. Was hoping for plaice after a kayak fisherman friend had had a successful session last weekend. Stunning morning as pic shows and great conditions. No fish seen though after a fairly thorough scan of the sandy sea bed and reef close to shore. Plenty of spider crabs about though and pretty big too. Will return another day.
Anyone else been getting in?

Attachments

• DSC_0798.JPG
    DSC_0798.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: foxfish
Your post might just make me do that. Could take the missus out for a spider crab hunt as I'd been promising for a while. How's the vis?

Hi guys I'm just starting out spearfishing going to head to Devon camping so gonna try hope cove? Is that a good place for a beginner or would anybody recommend els were

I've only one photo from our trip out last week. We dived a deep reef just outside of Plymouth for a couple of hours. Vis was about 8m. Lots of fish about. The big pollock were quite wary, but a couple of 3lb'ers came close. A fine brace of lobsters finished the day off nicely.
18109925_10158437162320214_54773285_o.jpg

Fine catch there Chris, good to hear there were plenty about. Season coming to life.....

The flounder and mullet wern't mine, but yes, the fish are coming in and there is plenty of life.

Hi, I'm new to South Devon spearfishing, just moved back here after 25 years. Got in on Tuesday at Slapton my nearest beach on Tuesday and found myself and nice spider crab.

I wouldn't mind hooking up with people locally for the odd dive, anybody near to Slapton on here? I have access to a boat from time to time as well.

Hi all, trying to upload a photo of my first lobster just over 6.5 lb. He was trundling along bold as in about 6m on a sandy pacth between reefs. I will leave any this big from now on, for a couple of reasons. I messed up the cooking due to is size. And it must of been pretty old.

Attachments

• _20170506_174745.JPG
    _20170506_174745.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 244
Reactions: jules1972
I"ve not been in for a while has the dreaded bloom decended east devon way yet ?

That's a nice size, Stan. I'm yet to catch a lobster - that's hopefully going to change this summer!

Hi all, trying to upload a photo of my first lobster just over 6.5 lb. He was trundling along bold as in about 6m on a sandy pacth between reefs. I will leave any this big from now on, for a couple of reasons. I messed up the cooking due to is size. And it must of been pretty old.
That was a lucky fine for sure, what a catch ah.
A lot of people will over cook lobster and big ones are the hardest to get right!
Allow 2-3 mins per pound in boiling water but the big ones switch off the boil unless you have a huge pot.
I have an outside gas ring and some very big pots, it can take 30 mins to get the water boiling!
I would cook a 6lb lobster for 12-14 mins but that is actually in boiling water.
You can kill a big one first and remove the legs to cook separately, normally I cook smaller ones of around 1.5lb - 2lb in 4-5 mins .
If I am going to put them on the BBQ I would first boil them but reduce the boiling to half the time.

Last edited:
Foxfish thanks for the cooking tips, your right I badly over cooked it. I killed it first as you can probably tell and then placed it in a large stock pot of boiling salted water, probably for half an hour or more. The results over cook tail. The crushing claw that was over 2lb was OK. Love to know more about bbq lobster and especially spider crab, cooking times and techniques ect. Any cooking tips welcome.

Stan

My finding is that if you over cook the spider crabs slightly then you have a very easy time getting the meat out of their legs... but I am very new to this thing so I might be wrong .

Also if you can buy a tub of spread, I like Clover.... add some crushed garlic and a hand full of chopped parsley... blend it together for a bit ... then just melt a knob in a frying pan once the lobster/crab are ready and use it as a dip !!!!!!!

Delish!!!!!

Reactions: stan7
Stan I've cooked quite a few spider crab and tend to cook them for about 12-15 minutes tops, as you're only eating the spindly legs and sockets to the body that doesn't take a good deal of cooking. They're pretty fiddly to say the least but proper tasty.

Reactions: stan7
Obviously depends on the size of your spider crab but lets say a nice big 4lb male, I would suggest around 7 -8 mins of boiling water.
I cook a lot of 'pre cooked' spider legs & the two legs socket pieces in a wok, I would pre cook the crab (4lb male) boiling water for 4 mins , let it cool, remove the legs and leg sockets, then a further 4-5 mins in a hot wok with typical Thai spices and liquid stock.
For BBQ lobster, pre cook for around half my standard cooking time in boiling water, cut in half from tail to head, run the halves under a tap to remove the gut . Remove the half tails from the shell, paint the inside shell with garlic butter, replace the tail in the shell & place on hot coals until the meat changes colour from opaque to white ... around 4-5 mins depending on size.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT