• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi guys looking for dive buddy I am a newbie spearo I live in Plymouth Devon if interested give us a shout . Chris

A chilly January dive yesterday afternoon out of Plymouth. Viz wasn't up to much, 2-3m, as we were diving in and around Plymouth Sound due to the wind, F3-4 SW.
No fish caught. I found two lobsters, but they were too deeply holed and were not to be shifted.
I did find two 4" naval gun barrels that had been dumped on the seabed. I'll go back when the viz is better for some pictures.
Honda.jpg

A lovely wet and cold end to the day....
15935373_10157910357645214_1942863775_o.jpg

Tell me about the viz Went out last weekend for a blast couldn't see much plus weather was a blustery wich didn't help thought about going over bovisands tomorrow but might wait until weather improves a bit roll on summer .

Happy new year to all South Devon spearos and all others who will follow this thread.

Nice to read such an early dive report Trelawney, encouraging start. Did you see any fish at all?!?

Got an action camera at Christmas so will hope to try it out soon enough underwater and maybe even post an interesting vid or two later in the year. But then again maybe not Also got a new dive knife. That's as exciting as it gets for me at the mo.

Reactions: foxfish
We saw plenty of big wrasse and that's about it. We were only diving a small area due to the wind and weather. If we'd managed to get out of the Sound, I'm sure we would've seen something else!

Blue skies, little wind and clear water..what more can a fellow ask for? Maybe a water temperature that's a bit warmer!! Only eight degrees today. Viz was pretty good out past the shallows, maybe 6m. Only two lobsters caught today. They were legal, but registered highly enough on my guilt-ometer to warrant returning. The big ones seem to have buggered off for the winter. No other fish seen apart from the standard wrasse and a dozy conger eel.

Went out on the Plymouth coast this morning a bit chilly water seemed pretty clear close to the rocks further out vis water not to good no fish seen wich was disappointing but still wort it ended up having good swimm seemed to attract a lot of dogs getting out of the water mind wich was quit funny

Reactions: Trelawney
Good gentlemen of South Devon and beyond, some advice if you will?
I'd like a watch ⌚ style device to tell me what depth I'm at. That's all I need it to do, so don't need or want a dive computer as such. The most reasonably priced one seems to be the Mares Puck Pro which can be bought for £116 and does some other stuff I am unlikely to use although may be interesting to see how long I'm under for. Id rather a digital display which is why I lean to the Puck, but are there any other cheaper alternatives you could suggest? To be honest I don't really want to spend that much given I don't think it's a particularly complex bit of information I'm after?!?! And it's satisfying curiosity more than anything else. Thanks.

I do have an old analogue depth gauge you can have for free. No electrickery, or batteries. its just a basic manual gauge. Looks a bit like this, but without the strap.
EquipmentImage_157.jpg

Reactions: scrumpy
Thanks for the advice Trelwaney - hadn't seen the bottom timer and looks like a good potential. I'll pass on the analogue depth gauge purely because I want the convenience of a watch mounted device and a digital reading - but very much appreciated all the same.

Reactions: Trelawney
Any viz reports south hams or exmouth anyone Please, cams look ok but still hard to tell exactl. Cheers lee

Reactions: SJBatts
Its clearing up around the South Hams Lee. 2-3M at Brixham this weekend apparently. We've not been out much in Plymouth due to the wind and swells, but it seems to be calming down now.

Yeah, in between nights and school runs, clubs etc etc doesn’t leave much time. Cams been looking ok bigbury way. Teignmouth and surrounding area brown. Talk regularly to Baz at Brixham, so might have to venture that way again. Few times I’ve dived been very Q. Saying that it’s been a few years, so maybe a night dive around the reef by shoalstone pool is in order

We're out of Salcombe on the boat Thurs and Fri this coming week, hunting scallop beds, so hopefully, the weather (and viz!) will be kind to us.

Hi guys the weather has been raining all week but there's a bit of opportunity to go out tomorrow will it make much difference with the viz is it worth it ?

Probably not out of Plymouth, or anywhere near the river mouth. We were down at St Ives yesterday, and it was really milky. Its normally pretty good viz down there too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT