• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Wales Club

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
No worries! Yeah that's definitely mewslade isn't it!! Haven't seen viz like that in ages how I missed that I'll never know! Definitely, I got all my kit for around 300 but I use all of that except the gun for freediving too which I've started this year as a bit of training for spearfishing!
All I got to begin with was goggles and I jumped in a few of the deeper rock pools around port eynon point to find lobster and I loved it so decided to get the rest of the kit and I'm hoping to get out as much as possible this year!
Yeah I know of him, chubbs' brother that's all I know him by haha, he runs the ship pub in port eynon?

Finding some lobster would be great, I kept my eye out last summer but nothing!

That's him yeah. His bro and Berg run the ship, so we go down there a bit in the summer. It's also a tidy base to get everywhere else as it's sort of in the middle I guess.

Thanks again for the advice. I'll start with a mask and a snorkel I guess, then go from there.

Are there any tidy diving shops about? I don't think I've seen gear in any of the surf shops around here, but I could be wrong.

That's my plan for the summer too, just get out as much as possible. So much to do around the Gower!

--
Jeff
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's a good laugh, plenty around port eynon point!

Yeah it's really good, I surf as well so it's not too far away from rhossili or genith, and then caswell or langland the other way!

I've bought all my kit online ( http://www.scubastore.com ), it's pretty cheap on there, cheaper than any dive shop! I know there's a couple in cardiff but not too sure about swansea sorry, none of the surf shops I've been in have had anything good.

Sounds like a good plan, hopefully we'll have a nice summer! Hopefully a few of us will get out together soon, so if you keep an eye on here, feel free to tag along!

Cheers Ash!

Thanks for the link Ash, will check it out.

Only asked if there was a shop about so I could try a few on, would still end up buying it online most probably, it's much cheaper as you say!

And will keep an eye out then, even if it's just to tag along and say hello. Thanks.

--
Jeff

Update on the viz for anyone that still looks at this thread, went out saturday at port eynon on gower, no viz, couldn't see the end of my gun! Lets hope it clears up soon as the tides are on the drop.

Thanks for the update pal.

I haven't been anywhere yet myself. Didn't manage to get out the other week, I've got no car until tomorrow, and I'm working in East Anglia for 6 weeks. Banging!

Hope to be home by 9ish on Friday, so gonna try get in this weekend. Fingers crossed.

--
Jeff

Yeah even though we've got crap weather on the way, the spring tides have passed now so hopefully the viz should get better for you!!
Unfortunately I'm having an operation on my hand tomorrow so will be in a cast for the next 4-6 weeks! Keep us updated if you get in though!

Even if it's just for a swim I'll be happy pal! Been without a car for 6 weeks, it's been an absolute nightmare.

Good luck with the op.

--
Jeff

Yeah I can imagine! Yeah I went out for a fish off a boat so thought I'd take my kit but couldn't see a bloody thing! Cheers mate!

Went down Mewslade today, but only for a little snorkel. Took the GoPro but couldn't really see it, and it was only about 2 feet away...

--
Jeff

Cheers for the update mate! I didn't manage to get in, have to wait a few weeks until my stitches are out of my hand!:(

Did you do any small dives or see anything swimming around?

Lots of bass being caught at the worm off boats especially Monday when we had nice weather! A few of the boys on the boats said they had vis deeper out and the mackerel and pollock are definitely there, lots being pulled in!

Hey Ash

Went down with Thew on Monday. Did a little dive around the rocks on the left hand side of the bay, but we saw absolutely nothing! Not a single crab or fish. Well, we saw one about the size of my little finger in a rock pool, that was it.

I did see someone coming out of the water with a spear gun on the way down, didn't see him take anything though (but I may be wrong).

Swell doesn't look too big this week, and meant to be nice on the weekend, so hopefully vis will be better then. Hoping to get home a little earlier this weekend and camp down there for the weekend. I ordered some gear off that scubastore website, fingers crossed it comes before Saturday so I can give it a test run.

--
Jeff

Alright james!
That's a bummer, yeah hopefully if it does hold out like it's supposed to you might get some joy!!

Did you speak to the guy at all? Were you diving or just snorkeling? I never got any joy on the surface but I seen this guy once just floating and he had loads of bass!

That's the only thing with that site I think it comes from Spain so takes a bit of time to come!

Let us know if you get in though mate, I'm busting for it, gutted I'm stuck in a cast!

I didn't pal, he vanished as we were coming down through the rocks and I couldn't see where he got to...

I bought some snorkel heard off Amazon as it was cheap as chips, so took that down. Had a couple of little dives under the water, but this is new to me so I wasn't under long. Will have to check the GoPro to see if I caught anything under the water! Haha.

Yeah, it does seem to take a while, but the prices seem to be much cheaper than UK stock - even when you add on the postage. Bought a spear gun, a mini laser knife, and a few other bits. They emailed me to say it shipped on Monday, will have to check the tracking thing to see where it is. Only thing is I'm away until Friday night, so hopefully they leave it with next door.

Weather looks good for the weekend, so will deffo be in the water somewhere. Hope you get the cast off soon fella.

--
Jeff

That should say gear off Amazon, fecking auto correct

--
Jeff

Haha! I was the same last year, much more confident now since I done the AIDA 2* freedive course, taught me loads to be fair and made me much more comfortable diving for that little bit longer!

I think they're pretty good and text you when it's due for delivery but I could be wrong! This weekend is looking very promising, I'm even considering cutting my cast off to get in!!

What gun did you decide on?

Where did you do the course pal? I'm living in a Marriott at the moment (it feels like anyway), so getting in the pool every night and doing some swimming etc. haven't taken my snorkel gear in with me yet, not sure if they'd think I was a weirdo or not... Ha.

Looks like my order left Spain on Monday, was in Germany on Tuesday, arrived in the UK today and is out for delivery. Lovely stuff!

I bought a 75cm Bauchat Espadon. It came in about 30 quid with a discount code I found on some French website. So not bad as a starter for ten. If I like it (or I manage to catch anything!) then maybe I'll invest again later on etc.

--
Jeff

I did it in a flooded quarry in Chepstow with a company called saltfree divers! Was 280 I think but manged to have most of mine funded by my company as like learning a new skill or something! Oh very nice, yeah I can't say I've ever been in a pool except for when I done the course, I imagine you'd have a few funny looks!

That's good news should have it for the weekend then!

That's good I think I paid simular for my seac sting! Managed to get in the water a few times with it and caught my first fish with it even though the reviews on it were awful! Managed to bag myself a new cressi geronimo for 60 quid on ebay for this year though but yet to test it out!! Only bought it because I manged to miss fish and hit the rocks far to many times until the spear was bent beyond repair on the seac and I didn't look after it well enough and the trigger mechanism started to rust!

Cool cool.

I guess you should strip the gun down and clean it every so often? The salt water can't be that good for it.

Says they attempted delivery today, but they haven't left a card! Hopefully they do tomorrow and I can collect it from the depot on Saturday morning.

--
Jeff

Not necessarily strip it just give it a real good clean now and again!

Is it with my hermes because they tried delivering something the other week to me but on both days tried at 1pm when I was in work, didn't leave a card but after the second time they missed me set my parcel back!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT